Chapter 1

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyowon was acutely aware of the swirling speculations about her true relationship with Jung Woo, the renowned dancer and creative choreographer known in the industry as Monika Shin. Even before their appearance in Street Women Fighter, their closest friends and acquaintances had yearned for them to take the leap and become a couple in reality; even their own parents were low-key shipping them. Hyowon couldn't blame them. She couldn't deny the undeniable connection and natural chemistry she shared with Jung Woo; in fact, she is certain they are soulmates. "Soulmates need not be romantically involved, right?" she often pondered, wrestling with the idea.

Oftentimes, she felt dismayed by the fact that Jung Woo wasn't a man. She mused that if Jung Woo were a man, they could have been married to each other already. How could she not entertain that idea when her friend and roommate for several years consistently reminded her that she was her top priority, even during the years when the older woman was in a relationship.

"My boyfriend says the biggest obstacle to us getting married is you," Jung Woo told her once. Hyowon wasn't surprised by it, as everybody often assumed they were dating.

When it came to marriage, Jung Woo was a broken record in expressing her desire for it; whether they were chilling in their shared apartment, in the middle of dance practice, walking the dogs at the park, or cruising in the car, Jung Woo would theatrically whine out of the blue, "I'm so alone; find me someone to marry already!" followed by an Oscar-worthy fake cry. The other woman's antics never fail to crack Hyowon up; she found them both pitiful and hilarious.

***

Two years prior to SWF, Jung Woo found herself a boyfriend. The relationship seemed serious, and almost everybody expected that Jung Woo would end up marrying him. Hyowon was hit by a whirlwind of emotions. On one hand, she genuinely wanted her friend to find her happiness, but on the other hand, she dreaded being sidelined in Jung Woo's life.

One evening, it was like the typical evening for them at their kitchen table. They were enjoying their meal, talking about their students at the dance academy, bickering over household chores, and falling in spontaneous fits of giggle at each other's weirdness. Hyowon felt a weight pressing upon her and decided it was time to broach the subject that had been nagging at her for a while.

As their conversation grew quiet, Hyowon turned to Jungwoo. "Unnie..." she dragged, her usual cheerfulness having dissipated. This caused the older woman to feel anxious about the sudden seriousness in the atmosphere. She nudged the younger to continue sensing her apprehension. Hyowon finally summoned the courage to voice her long-held insecurity. "What if your boyfriend's only condition for marrying you is that you have to stop being friends with me?"

Jung Woo, who always considers Hyowon's feelings, reassured her friend. She took Hyowon's hand and held it firmly. "Hyowon-ah, boyfriends come and go, but this..." she gestured around them. This is forever. Family is forever." With a non-chalant chuckle, she added, "If he can't accept that you're a big part of my life, then he doesn't deserve to be in it. I'd rather die unmarried."

The declaration caused Hyowon's heart to swell in joy but again reminded her how she wished her friend were a man because none of the boyfriends she had ever declared her their priority. Nevertheless, Jung Woo's seeing her as family warmed but also stung Hyowon's heart. Equally, Hyowon would do anything for the other woman. Unbeknownst to the older, the primary reason why Hyowon couldn't make her past relationships last long was her inclination to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter