Chapter 8 UPDATED !(on-going)

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This chapter is longer than most. Also, there will be SWF leader interactions in this chapter.

When Hyowon woke up the next morning, she found herself slightly confused to be in Jung Woo’s room. However, upon remembering the events of the previous night, an instant smile spread across her face, stretching from ear to ear.

She was in her girlfriend’s room. Her girlfriend.

The word itself sounded like a marvel to her, filling her with pride and a sense of fulfillment for having something so precious—her Jung Woo. It made her feel so free, free to finally shower the older woman with affection without thinking of its implications and possible consequences. She could demand Jung Woo’s attention without masking her feelings. She felt giddy, like a teenager having a crush for the first time.

Her head felt like floating in helium; it was almost surreal that a part of her worried she was dreaming. To confirm its reality, she pinched her cheeks, and the ensuing pain assured her it was indeed real.

Hyowon sat up in bed, feeling soreness creeping into her right arm, especially in her bicep. Jung Woo might as well just throw her pillows. What's the use of them if the older woman insists on sleeping on her arms? Sharing a bed with your girlfriend, as nice as it sounds, has its own disadvantages—waking up with a numb and sore shoulder.

The said woman was absent from the bed when Hyowon woke up, leaving her slightly disappointed. Nonetheless, the thought of her girlfriend possibly preparing 'breakfast in bed' consoled her sulking thoughts.

 Only to hear the said girlfriend hollering from the kitchen.

“Hyowon-ah, breakfast’s ready.”

She waited a few seconds before shouting back, “Coming!”

Apart from not waking up in her own bed, her early morning appeared similar to the usual routine—waking up later than Jung Woo, the latter calling her from the kitchen, sounding like a mother scolding her daughter for not starting the day early. Dismayed, Hyowon dragged her feet towards the dining table, approaching Jung Woo from behind and giving her a kiss on the cheek—another deviation from her usual morning routine.

“Morning,” Hyowon greeted.

But Jung Woo responded rather unenthusiastically.

“Mmmh,” the woman mumbled, not even looking up from her phone to give her a single glance.

Annoyed and offended, Hyowon circled the table, her brows furrowed, as she took her seat in front of her unresponsive girlfriend. She started eating as Jung Woo was still checking her phone, mumbling about her schedule.

After a while,

“Did you sleep all right?” Hyowon looked up rather eagerly when the older woman finally gave her attention.

“I did sleep alright, but my arms are sore,” she whined as she stretched her arm. “Someone used it as her pillow the entire night.”

Jung Woo paid no mind to her implications and instead proceeded to talk casually about her plans for the day, making the girl’s annoyance grow tenfold. Throughout their meal, Jung Woo never mentioned anything about the occurrence of last night. Hyowon grew suspicious but was still feeling hurt and annoyed at how the other acted as if nothing had changed, as if last night hadn’t happened.

Eventually, the older woman finished her meal. She placed her chopsticks neatly on the table and looked up at her. “Hyowon-ah, I’m done. I’ll shower first while you clean up,” Jung Woo informed her as she stood up.

Something inside Hyowon snapped, finally reaching the limit of her patience. She smacked her hands on the table as her frustration grew.

“Yah! Shin Jung Woo!” she exclaimed, quickly standing up.

The older only blinked at her, completely ignoring her furious state. “Wae? You wanna shower together?”

“Are you messing with me?” she demanded, but her anger turned into confusion upon realizing what the other woman just said. “Wait, what?”

Jung Woo approached her and held her hands. “I asked if you wanted to shower together instead.”

She shook her head in disbelief at her audacity to act innocently.

“You were just treating me like Sooni, your housemate, and not Sooni, your girlfriend, and now you're asking me that?”

Jung Woo burst into giggles. Hyowon looked blankly at her girlfriend, wondering if she had lost her mind.

“I’m sorry, it’s just fun to mess with you, Sooni-yah,” Jung Woo cooed, stifling her giggles. “You’re too cute when you're riled up like this.”

Jung Woo gulped, suddenly felt dry; the other woman didn’t look pleased.

“It wasn’t fun for me,” Hyowon grumbled, pulling her hands away from Jung Woo’s grasp. “I actually felt offended.”

The admission made Jung Woo guilty about her morning misfits. Though she relished making fun of the younger woman, part of her did it because somehow she is a bit lost on how to treat Hyowon now that they are officially girlfriends. They’d been living together for several years already as best friends and as family, but beyond a romantic context, their daily dynamics had been built on that. If she suddenly acts clingy and acts on how she feels towards Hyowon—which is intense—she fears the younger may feel choked up and overwhelmed. That is the last thing Jung Woo wanted to happen.

With hesitation, Jung Woo s her arms around her girlfriend’s waist. “I’m sorry. It won’t happen again,” she apologized.

Naturally, her eyes traveled down to the younger’s lips. Unable to help it, she gave Hyowon a chaste kiss. So much for trying not to act clingy.

Hyowon hesitated for a moment, but a shy smile eventually broke across her face. “Fine.” She sighed in defeat, giving in with barely a fight.

Whipped.

She wrapped her arms around Jung Woo's nape, drawing herself close as she nestled her head on the taller woman's shoulder. Jung Woo took a deep breath, the warmth of her exhale caressing Hyowon's hair. She planted a tender kiss on the side of her head. The younger dancer closed her eyes, savoring the gesture and sighing at the comforting scent and embrace of the woman she deeply loved—a content smile adorning her face.

After a few seconds, Jung Woo began to hum the familiar tune of 'Dance with Me,' a song their crew had been performing on stage for a while. She slowly swayed at the melody she was making, the subtle movements urged the younger to follow suit.

Hyowon chuckled at the cliché scene, reminiscent of old romantic movies—an old married couple dancing slowly on their kitchen floor. This was the kind of morning she yearned for—a moment she wished to repeat every day with Jung Woo. Yet a nagging thought teased the edges of her mind, questioning the plausibility of such a perfect routine. Shaking off the doubt, she decided to just savor the present.

“I like this," Hyowon mumbled, gently untangling their bodies as she looked up at the older woman. “We've been dancing together for years, but never to this choreography.”

“Yeah?” Jung Woo looked down at her tenderly, a soft smile playing on her lips. “I like it too...” she paused, grinning, “but I like you more.” She spoke confidently, yet a subsequent embarrassment over her own chessiness made her hide her face against Hyowon's chest, earning a hearty laugh from the younger dancer.

Eventually, Jung Woo slowly disentangled herself from Hyowon, her movements infused with tender reluctance. “We better move, or we'll be late,” she urged, eliciting a playful whine from the younger woman. Jung Woo kissed her again to brush away the pout on her lips.

Reluctantly, she let go of the older dancer. She watched Jung Woo head to the bathroom. Her brow furrowed in confusion as the older woman abruptly stopped in her tracks. She turned back to her, a playful smirk gracing her lips.

“And babe?”

Hyowon’s heart swelled at the endearment.

“Mmm?” was the only response she could manage.

“The offer still stands; I’m leaving the door unlocked,” Jung Woo said suggestively and disappeared into the bathroom.

Hyowon was left speechless and rooted on the spot. She felt like she needed a gradual immersion into their new dynamics as girlfriends; otherwise, she would die from a heart attack. A part of her contemplated whether or not to follow the older woman. The sound of water running from the showers, the sight of the bathroom door left slightly ajar, and the image of Shin Jung Woo behind the shower curtain, very and waiting for her, almost made her barge in towards the bathroom. She shook her head as if to get rid of an unholy thought and made a resolve not to give in to her impulses—at least not yet—or they'd be even more late.

***

Not willing to be separated for more than the time it takes to reach the studio, the couple opted to take Hyowon's car. The younger dancer took the wheel, and Jung Woo assumed the passenger seat. In their typical fashion, the beginning of their car ride quickly transformed into a carpool karaoke session, with both of them vibing and grooving to the music. They sang their hearts out, and anyone who happened to hear them would be glad they chose dancing as an occupation.

“Unnie?” Still catching her breath, Hyowon cut short their mini-concert.

The older dancer glanced sideways and said, “Umm?"

“I've got a plan to get back at the kids.” A mischievous smile was forming on the younger face.

The night before, Hyowon had shared with the older dancer—more like a good-natured whine—how their students took turns poking fun at her about her Jung-Woo situation after the latter left the studio.

Jung Woo was on board with the plan without much hesitation.  Lately, the kids, especially Kayday and Rosy, have become bolder in roasting not only Hyowon but also her. Turning the tables on them felt like a fitting response.

“All right.” Jung Woo clasped her hands and asked, “What’s the plan?”

The younger chuckled at the woman’s eagerness, though she was not surprised by it. Jung Woo may be strict when it comes to work, but she is still the biggest toddler in their crew, closely followed by Kayday. Roasting and poking fun at the kids until they whined to Hyowon was her favorite off-duty activity.

“Let’s pretend we are still fighting,” the younger dancer suggested. Seeing her passenger listening intently, she continued, “But instead of not speaking to each other, let’s escalate it to a heated argument.”

Jung Woo scrunched up her nose, pretending to have second thoughts, but genuine excitement about the scheme lingered in her eyes. They decided to arrive late and stage an argument upon their arrival. Being a stage director, Jung Woo suggested that Hyowon would have to appear as if she’d been crying for a while for authenticity. She could use eye drops for a teary look in her eyes.

“Then, we'll improvise from there,” Hyowon finished, a mischievous smile playing on her lips. “What do you think?”

“I like it.” Her passenger nodded in agreement, beaming at her. “I’ve always wanted to do a drama improv. It is like doing a freestyle dance.” She added while doing some hip-hop moves.

Hyowon laughed at the older's silliness. She liked how passionate Jung Woo is about her own plan. And the woman should be; after all, she is her girlfriend, and Jung Woo is obligated to be supportive.

“And since we’re purposefully being late,” Hyowon added with enthusiasm, “let’s swing by that newly opened cafe near the studio.”

The younger steered towards the said cafe without waiting for the other’s response, leaving the latter momentarily stunned.

“Excuse me, miss.” Jung Woo began to protest, “I didn’t even agree to that yet,” but Hyowon seemed to be playing the dominant card.

“My car, my rules, unnie,” she said playfully, sticking her tongue out. “Plus, I'm craving something sweet.”

“Wae? Am I not sweet enough?” Jung Woo grinned, enjoying the flustered look on the younger girl’s face, and felt proud that she was capable of doing that.

***

For what felt like the umpteenth time, Kayday glanced at the time on her phone screen. It read seventeen minutes past 10:30 am, and neither of their two teachers had yet appeared at the studio. It was highly unusual for them to be this late without prior notice to their students. Kayday couldn't shake off the uneasy feeling settling in.

Meanwhile, as Kayday and the rest of the kids grew increasingly anxious about their nowhere-to-be found teachers, the said teachers were preoccupied, indulging in cakes at the nearby cafe, exchanging glances with their heart eyes. A sight that, if witnessed by the young student, would probably have her wanting to gouge her own eyes out just to unsee.

***

After a while, the rhythmic thud of heavy footsteps reached the practice room, accompanied by an unmistakably angry shout – Monika’s voice reverberating through the entrance.

“Jo Hyowon!”

All eyes fixed on the doorway as Hyowon stumbled in, disheveled and tear-streaked, a clear sign of recent distress. Monika followed, reaching up to grip Hyowon’s hand firmly.

“Don’t you dare turn your back on me while I’m talking.”

It wasn’t the first time the students had witnessed their teacher seething, but this time carried a different weight; it clearly wasn’t about work. Nervous glances were exchanged, and the tension in the room was palpable.

Hyowon, on the verge of breaking down, retorted, “Well, I have nothing to talk to you, unnie.”

The unexpected defiance from their usually patient younger teacher left them in stunned silence. The shock etched on Monika’s face transformed into escalating anger. Gritting her teeth, she forcefully shoved Hyowon’s arm away, releasing her grip with a harshness that echoed through the room. “So this is really the end then, huh?” Tears streamed down her cheeks. “Then you might as well pack your bags today and leave the house, Hyowon, and never come back.”

Hyowon collapsed to her knees, breaking into relentless sobs at Monika’s harsh words.

Kayday's heart sank at the scene unfolding before her. As she glanced at her friends, they were equally stunned. HamG and Rosy covered their mouths, stifling tears, while Dia and Hyeily clung to each other for support. The entire room seemed lost in the gravity of the situation.

Despite her hesitations, Kayday took a step forward. She approached Hyowon, helped her stand, and gently led her away from their enraged leader.

Directing her disappointment at Monika, “Unnie, I hope you don’t really mean that.” She stated firmly.

HamG nervously made her way towards their older teacher, eyes darting between the woman she was approaching and her friends as if asking for some support. Kayday scoffed, of course, the girl will pick Monika’s side. “Ssaem? What’s going on?” Her friend asked, wiping her tears. Monika remained silent, her face a mosaic of conflicting emotions that Kayday couldn’t quite comprehend.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter