Chapter 4

Soulmates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Added some angst on this part*

It was nearly midnight when Hyowon arrived home. She was surprised to find the light on in the kitchen, uncertain if she had forgotten to turn it off before leaving. Dismissing the thought, she poured herself a cold glass of water, drinking it down in huge gulps. As she headed towards her room, she nearly jumped out of her skin when the door of the adjacent room flung open, revealing her roommate, who mirrored her stunned expression.

"Oh, Unnie, hi, you’re here!” Hyowon greeted, but her roommate simply eyed her up and down with an intense gaze.

"You went out in that dress?" Jung Woo asked, her voice low but reprimanding. Under the other woman's intense scrutiny, Hyowon felt self-conscious about her choice of outfit; it was indeed a bit revealing.

"It was, uh, a date," she reasoned, berating herself for feeling guilty because she shouldn't be. She is single; she has every damn right to go out on a date while wearing the damn dress she prefers.

Jung Woo snickered, "You really want to get laid that bad, huh?" Something inside her clenched at the other's choice of word; it was hurtful and disappointing for Jung Woo to stooped that low. Wearing something revealing was never an issue, especially since they're dancers. Jung Woo tends to compliment her, saying that it is y. So she couldn't comprehend what the woman's problem was. Nevertheless, Hyowon, being patient and understanding, especially when it comes to her best friend, decided to choose peace.

“I thought you wouldn’t be home until tomorrow?" She asked gently, but Jung Woo seemed adamant about provoking a fight.

"If you knew I was coming home tonight, would that have stopped you from going out on a date?” Her tone was accusatory as she moved past Hyowon toward the kitchen.

Hyowon clenched her fist; her patience wearing thin. “Should I stop going on dates?" She stepped towards the taller woman, outraged. "Should I stop looking for someone to marry? Coz the last time I checked, I am single and I have every ing damn right to go out on date if I want to.” It's been a while since she raised a voice towards Jung Woo, and damn, that felt good. Jung Woo had absolutely no right to behave like a jealous girlfriend because she is not. The other woman grew silent at her sudden outburst, obviously not expecting her reaction. 

As if realizing her behavior was uncalled for, Jung Woo turned around, drank the glass of water she'd been holding, and gently placed the empty glass in the sink. Looking back at Hyowon, her gaze is filled with regret and something more that the younger couldn't quite pinpoint: “I’m sorry, Hyowon". She started apologizing. "I don't know what came into me. I’m just tired and cranky. Of course, you have every right to go out on dates whenever and with whoever you want.” It wasn't the response the younger dancer had hoped for; she wanted to hear something more from the other woman, something to ease the anger, the longing, and the ache she felt at that moment. Jung Woo appeared fidgety at the corner, as if restraining herself from reaching out to her.

Hyowon fought hard to remain composed, but on the inside, she felt heavily frustrated by the emotional rollercoaster Jung Woo could provoke in just a single setting. From her initial outrage, she now felt a strong urge to give her regretful-looking roommate a hug, whom she hadn't seen in days and whom she badly missed. Choosing not to give in, she kept her poker face intact. “It’s alright, Unnie. I understand. I'm sorry too. Welcome home, by the way. Good night," she said in a rush and entered her room without casting another glance at Jung Woo.

***

Hyowon was internally screaming. "What the actual heck?" she mumbled within the safety of her bedroom. It was supposed to be a happy reunion after days apart, but the other woman's smug attitude threw her off.  Witnessing Jung Woo's immature reaction to the mere idea of her going on a date was a first for her. Though there was a twisted satisfaction in knowing she had made a certain Monika Shin feel jealous, she shook her head as if to get rid of a thought. "No way I'm giving in so easily," she resolved. "I need more than just a'sorry'".

She remembered a time when they had a huge fight over a silly matter. The older woman had appeased her with an Apple Watch as an apo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter