Chapter 11

What Family Means

 

Heechul dramatically burst through the front door clutching a handful of papers.

               “I got, like, seven applications today,” he announced proudly, adding in a lower voice as he progressed into the apartment “I mean, I haven’t filled any of them out yet, but…”

               He trailed off seeing Leeteuk sitting on the couch.  “What’s up, Teukie,” he greeted cheerfully.  Leeteuk didn’t turn to acknowledge him.

               Vaulting over the armrest and landing heavily next to his friend, Heechul peered into Leeteuk’s face.

               “What’s with the frown?  I just told you that I’m one step closer to actually almost starting to try to get a job.  That’s progress!”

Leeteuk continued to stare at his hands.  Heechul lost the grin on his face.  Bumping Leeteuk’s shoulder with his own, he asked, “What’s wrong?”

“I forgot.”  His roommate’s answer was distant and small.

Heechul tried to lighten the mood by saying, “Then what’s there to be upset about, pabo?”

He didn’t succeed in pulling a smile out of the other man who after a long pause clarified, “I forgot it was the 16th.” 

“You’re not making any sense, Teuk,” Heechul said attempting a kind tone as he realized how downtrodden his friend was. 

Finally, with what seemed like great effort, Leeteuk explained, “Today is the one year anniversary of when Kangin’s sister died.”

 Heechul shifted uncomfortably, scratching at his hair.  “That .  He okay?”  Kangin had actually been decent to him since he came back a week and a half ago.  He found himself growing to like the other man, even if he was still kind of intimidating. 

“He probably would be if I’d remembered,” Leeteuk sighed, covering his face with his hands. 

Heechul had noticed some tension between Kangin and Leeteuk and wondered if that had contributed to whatever had happened while he was out.  He was going to ask Leeteuk where Kangin was and what had happened, but Leeteuk needed no prompting and suddenly launched into the story,

“I just lost track of the days, you know?  With everything that happened—”

“You mean with me.”

“I didn’t mean it like that.”

Heechul smiled reassuringly.  “No, don’t worry, I’m fine.  I’m not going to throw a hissy fit and storm out again.  Just letting you know you don’t have to dance around the subject.”

There was a comfortable pause between them and then Leeteuk continued on,

“I was so stupid.  I asked him what was wrong because he was acting funny and he said he was having a hard time.  I should have stopped.  I should have stopped and thought for two seconds and realized why he was upset but guess what?”

“You didn’t?”

“No, I asked what was bothering him.  And he just looked at me like:  how could you not know?  And then he left.” 

“That seems to be his signature move.”

Leeteuk’s withering glance let Heechul know he hadn’t exactly said the right thing.  Realizing he wasn’t the best with words in situations like these, he slouched down and dropped his head onto Leeteuk’s shoulder apologetically.  “He’ll come back,” he tried to assure.

“I know,” Leeteuk sighed, absentmindedly letting his arm fall around Heechul’s shoulder.  He’d grown accustomed to Heechul’s increasing clinginess since he’d decided to stay with them for real.  He didn’t mind, it was kind of endearing to see him slowly opening himself up at their acceptance.

“What is it?” Heechul asked sleepily, feeling Leeteuk sigh. 

“Nothing.”

“It doesn’t sound like nothing.” 

Realizing what Heechul was doing, Leeteuk couldn’t help but smile and look at his friend who had shut his eyes tiredly. 

“You’re stealing my bit,” he complained. 

“You’re stealing my melancholy.” 

“I’m only borrowing it.  I’m in need of a little melancholy right now.” 

Heechul knew that Leeteuk was forcing a brave tone but that he was actually, deeply broken up about this.  He knew that he was supposed to be part of the family now too, but for a long time, Kangin had been the only family Leeteuk had.

“Let’s go find him.”

“Heechul…”

“No, come on,” the dark haired man said, suddenly getting up off of the couch.

With a heavy sigh, Leeteuk stood as well.  “Kangin’s the kind of guy who doesn’t want to be found,” he explained. 

“So was I.”

For a long time Leeteuk met Heechul’s gaze, then he finally said, “Alright.  But I’ll go, on my own.  You stay here in case he comes back.” 

                Insulted, Heechul protested, “Teuk, come on, we’re family.  I’m not going to sit around while you…”

                Leeteuk gave a little appreciative smile but held up a hand to stop Heechul’s words.  “I love hearing you say that, but I’ll be faster on my own.  I know where to go.”

                “I can help.”

                “I know, I know.  But I know how to deal with him better.” 

                “You can’t fix everything on your own,” Heechul said poignantly.

                Leeteuk reached out and wrapped his arm around Heechul’s neck, playfully pulling his roommate close and saying teasingly, “It’s so cute that you think that,” planting a kiss on the side of his head.  “Don’t worry, I can do this alone.”   

Squirming out of Leeteuk’s hold Heechul tried to say that he wasn’t kidding around but Leeteuk interrupted him as he reached for his jacket on the wooden coat stand.  “I’ll keep in touch.  Phone me if you find out anything.  I’m sure he’ll show up, though.  He always comes back home.” 

                Before Heechul knew what had happened, Leeteuk had slipped out the door, saying a quick goodbye.  After a moment of stunned silence, Heechul sighed in frustration and mumbled uselessly to the empty apartment, “Doesn’t family mean you don’t have to do it alone?”

 

                Heechul had decided he was going to do something productive while he waited for Leeteuk to return, hopefully with Kangin in tow, but he just ended up sitting at on the edge of the couch staring at the dark TV screen. 

                He was so lost in thought that he jumped a foot when the phone rang.  Cautiously approaching the out-of-date landline phone in the corner of the room, he wondered whether or not he should pick it up.  It wasn’t like anyone would be calling for him.  Unless it was Leeteuk of course.  He knew it was stupid, but he wasn’t supposed to pick up the phone.  Shaking his head, he remembered that that particular rule wasn’t from this phone in this apartment in this family.  Sometimes he forgot what rules went where.  In the end, Heechul waited until the fourth ring and then quickly darted his hand out to answer the phone.

                “Annyeong-haseyo,” he greeted impulsively, feeling immediately stupid for speaking first and using such a formal greeting and just utterly failing at life.    

                “Who’s this?”  The slightly slurred voice was still, unmistakably familiar.

                “Kangin?” Heechul wondered. 

                The man on the other end of the phone cleared his throat suddenly as if he’d recognized Heechul’s voice.  He sounded decidedly clearer as he said, “Yeah, um, I was looking for—”

                “Leeteuk’s out,” Heechul interrupted, getting the sense that he shouldn’t say that the third part of their outfit was off looking for the very man to whom he was speaking.  “But I can get a message to him if you want,” he added quickly, wondering why Kangin hadn’t just called Leeteuk’s cell phone.

                “No, no,” Kangin quickly dismissed, “‘s fine, t’s nothing.”

                 Heechul bit his lip and listened to the hum of static undercutting the call.  The words were hovering in his throat but he was terrified to say them.  Twirling the phone chord in his fingers he suddenly said, “Is there…I mean, can I help, somehow?” 

                A deep exhale met his ear and Kangin grumbled, “Just, if you see Leeteuk tell him I need a ride.”

                Realizing Kangin was going to hang up, Heechul burst out, “Wait!  Where do I tell him to go?  Where are you?”

                “The Understudy.” 

                Heechul knew where that bar was.  It wasn’t the sort of place he ever went to.  It was more of a man’s man kind of place, but he knew where it was.

                “Alright, I’ll tell him if I see him,” he answered truthfully, only to realize he was talking to the dial tone. 

                Putting the phone back down on the receiver, he headed for the door already knowing what he was going to do.  He hadn’t lied to Kangin, really.  He would tell Leeteuk what Kangin had said if he saw him, but the odds of running into Leeteuk out there were very slim.  He didn’t know why, but he was going to go get Kangin himself.  He’d call Leeteuk to come pick them up when he got there. 

                As he slipped on his shoes, he wondered how exactly Leeteuk was supposed to pick Kangin up anyway, seeing as he didn’t have a car, in the end deciding that he probably needed money for a taxi. 

                Throwing on his jacket, he flicked off the hallway light and headed out into the night. 



 

A/N  First of all, my consistent formatting glitch drives me insane but I can't figure out how to tab on this crazy thing.  I apologize.  XD  <3 

Second of all, I'm such a failure.  I was like:  This is going to be the last chapter with the three of them, it'll just be really long and then it was 3 a.m. and I had...this. So forgive me, just one more chapter of our favorite trio before we can introduce new characters! :D  

Third of all, you've all caught up with me now!  So I'm writing everything fresh.  I will hopefully be able to knock out a chapter a day but this may be where being subscribed will come in handy because updates might become inconsistent now.  Sorry :/

Fourth of all...I don't really have a fourth of all.  XD  I love you dearly.  Comment if you have comments, subscribe if you have subscribes, OH revenge time:  

Do you like SHINee?  Do you like family with plenty of angst/fuff and fun stuff like that?  (answer:  Of course you do!  I mean, you're reading my story!)  Then what are you sitting here for?!  Go check out my awesome friend sparkythegamer's story. -->                           [Bonus:  She writes well.  XD] http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/159092/attatchments-2min-angst-family-jongkey-minho-shinee-taemin

And finally, All my love you lovely people!  <3  :D