Chapter 1

The Gangster and the Pauper

"Turn around slowly and come with me." a deep voice whispered in my ear. I could feel the barrel of a gun pressed into my back. 'Dammit,' I thought, 'as if my day couldn't get any worse.' I turned slowly as instructed and tried to get a look at his face. All I caught was a flash of blue before his arm s around my waist and pulled me close, the barrel of the gun now pressed to my stomach. This position was smart; it made us look like a couple hugging and it also kept the gun against me and hidden from the public eye. Also it kept me from seeing his face.

Stretching up to reach his ear I whispered, "What do you want? If it's money your after I have about $5 in my back pocket but that's all I swear!" He tensed up and said roughly, "Now you listen to me, you are going to come with me and you're not gonna make a fuss about it because if you do I'll pull the trigger and end it right here and now do you understand?' I nodded unable to speak. He hid the gun and with his arm still wrapped around me turned and walked down the street.

As we were walking I finally had the chance to get a good look at his him. He was Asian, Korean if I had to guess, and fairly tall, about 6 feet. The blue that I had glimpsed earlier was his hair, curly and wispy it reminded me of cotton candy. His face was hard and set with a look of determination, like a man on a mission. I giggled at that thought. I guess he was a man on a mission, though what it was i couldn't figure out. He looked at me, irritation written plainly across his face. "Why are you laughing?" he demanded harshly, "What's so funny?" I looked at him stubbornly "Nothing." I said flatly turning back to face the street.