Two

Miracle on Christmas Eve.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Taeyeon unnie, you should just go home. I think you waited long enough with me.” Minjoo coaxed the older woman as they exited the cafe and stood outside. “I can wait for my sister here.” 

 

The male barista had come up to them and politely inform them that he’ll be closing the cafe soon. 

 

“Or I could just walk you home right now,” Taeyeon suggested. 

 

She is worried that Minjoo’s parents would be looking for her. Also, who knows if she can meet Minjoo’s sister and give her a lengthy talk about taking care of younger siblings? 

 

“No! You can’t. If you do, my sister would be in trouble. It’s not the first time this happened.”

 

Taeyeon sighed. “Then I’ll accompany you till your sister comes. It’s not safe for a young kid like you to be alone.” 

 

Both of them stood outside of the cafe enjoying the cold breeze and humming random songs happily. Minjoo then overheard a child around her age speak loudly to her parents about going to the park. 

 

She gasped and turned to Taeyeon, “Taeyeon unnie! There is a park in this neighbourhood?!” 

 

Taeyeon nodded and chuckled when she saw Minjoo’s eyes sparkle. 

 

“Yeah. Lots of kids went there to play in the snow. Snow would pile up everywhere in the park. Some even brought their pails and shovels. I thought you said you live in this neighbourhood. How come you didn’t know?” 

 

Everyone in this neighbourhood would know of the said park. To get to the main road from the neighbourhood, one would need to pass by the park. That’s why the park would not go unnoticed by the people living here.

 

“Uh, my family and I just moved here recently. We didn’t have the time to explore because of the unpacking and all. That’s why my sister and I decided to go out tonight.” Minjoo explained while jumping around lightly in her spot to stay warm. 

 

Taeyeon saw that act and removed her scarf. She wrapped it around Minjoo’s neck, making sure it is covering thoroughly. Minjoo beams at Taeyeon’s act of kindness. It felt as though she is her sister. 

 

“Hmm, there’s a convenience store nearby. How ‘bout I go and buy us some heat pads and then we go to the park?” Taeyeon suggested. Looking at the time now, Taeyeon thinks that standing around in front of the cafe would not do them any good. The least she could do is to let Minjoo have fun at the park while waiting for her sister. And that is if her sister knows her way ‘round this neighbourhood. 

 

 

Taeyeon was rubbing her hands around the heat pad when she felt something hard on her back. She turned around to see Minjoo squatting down acting nonchalantly playing with the snow. Taeyeon pocketed her heat pad and slowly tiptoe to Minjoo and softly tackle her to the snow. 

 

Minjoo squealed loudly when Taeyeon tickled her waist. Taeyeon laughed out loud when Minjoo playfully tried to dig the snow to escape from her. 

 

“Minjoo ah, that’s impossible you know” Taeyeon sat back on the snow, laughing out loud at Minjoo’s silly act. 

 

Taeyeon was still laughing when she was hit by Minjoo with snowballs. She slowly stood up and ran around the park trying to avoid Minjoo’s attack. 

 

When Minjoo was catching her breath for a moment, Taeyeon took her time to create her ammo. When she was done, Taeyeon made sure to throw the snowballs softly at Minjoo. She laughed out loud when Minjoo’s hair was filled with snow. She continued her attack until she heard fast footsteps behind her. She looked up and saw Minjoo’s eyes widening. Before Taeyeon could ask why, she was tackled to the ground with her face buried in the snow. 

 

Jesus, now what?! 

 

 

She looked down at her watch. It’s almost 9:15 PM and she has yet to locate her sister. Most of the shops in the neighbourhood have closed early since it is Christmas Eve. Everyone is rushing home to prepare for the next day.

 

Tiffany stood outside momentarily at the candy shop. She had gone in to ask the owner if anyone had seen her sister. True enough, no one had seen Minjoo. After much contemplation, she decided to go with the owner’s suggestion; to check the park in the neighbourhood. 

 

Just when she decided to google the park’s location, Tiffany realised that her phone had died. She had been using her phone the entire time, to show people her sister’s image. 

 

Of course! Of all the times, it had to die now!

 

Groaning in frustration, she pocketed that poor device harshly in her jeans. She turned around and went back into the candy shop to ask for directions. To her surprise, the park is quite near to where she is. As per the candy shop owner, it should take her less than 10 minutes to reach there. 

 

And so, she went. Praying hard that her sister will be there.

 

As she was walking, Tiffany couldn’t help but notice how the streets were beautifully decorated. Lights and ornaments were dangling brightly on the trees. Almost all shops she walks past have mini Christmas trees at their shopfronts. Christmas songs were still playing in the streets even though it was almost 10 PM. 

 

After the final turn at a junction, the park comes into Tiffany’s view. She stood there for a moment, admiring the sight. It was beautiful. Honestly, beautiful was an understatement. Similarly to the streets, the park is brightly lit with Christmas-themed lights and leaves covered in snow. For a moment, Tiffany thought that the park would be a great venue for a musical performance. 

 

The

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter