Ten

Miracle on Christmas Eve.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After placing a few pieces of cooked meat on Minjoo’s plate and doing the same for Tiffany, Taeyeon went back to flipping the remaining of it on the grill, trying her best not to burn it. 

 

As requested by Minjoo, the trio were having lunch in a barbecue restaurant beside the little girl’s school. Although they had to wait almost an hour in line, Taeyeon spent the time learning about Minjoo’s school, The Pathway, from Tiffany.

 

It is an autism-focused school that offers students on the autism spectrum the national curriculum and life readiness skills. 

 

When they first arrived at the school, much to Taeyeon’s surprise, it looked like any other school. Students were loitering around on the school premises with their friends, teachers were rushing to their next class, and the school field was bustling with students playing soccer. 

 

Based on what Taeyeon had learnt, autism has an extensive spectrum, encompassing a vast range of personal situations - from people incapable of communicating meaningfully with the world to others who make it through most days with the appearance of total normality. Thus, it intrigued her that although people may appear normal to others, there may be underlying disabilities.

 

Minjoo glanced at Taeyeon as the woman was busy cooking and distributing the meat to Tiffany and herself. 

 

“Unnie,” she called out.

 

“Hm?” Taeyeon acknowledged, eyes still fixated on the grill. 

 

The little girl pouted when Taeyeon didn’t look at her. 

 

“Unnie~” she whined. 

 

Having heard that, Taeyeon finally turned to her left and saw Minjoo hovering over a piece of meat to her. The little girl was waiting for her so that she could feed Taeyeon. 

 

Broke out a grin, Taeyeon opened willingly and clasped her hand over her lips.

 

“Hmm! Yummy!” she gasped dramatically, causing Minjoo to laugh. 

 

The blonde woman then took a piece of freshly cooked meat from the grill, cooling it down before feeding Minjoo, who produced the same exaggerated reaction as she did. 

 

Tiffany, seated across from Taeyeon, let out a tiny snigger when the two kept feeding each other and reacting dramatically after each feeding.

 

“Aigoo, I’m having lunch with two kids,” she mumbled softly before sipping her water.

 

She was about to resume eating when Taeyeon held her chopsticks to her.

 

Confused by the action, her brows raised and was accompanied by a tilted head. It finally dawned on her what Taeyeon was trying to do when the blonde swung the meat around like an aeroplane.

 

“Palli, Pany. Say ah!” Taeyeon exclaimed excitedly and inched her hand forward.

 

Tiffany shook her head and covered . “I can feed myself, Tae,”

 

“Uh, wae? Come on, Pany ah.” The blonde held her chopsticks firmly, determined to feed Tiffany.

 

“Because I’m an adult. I can feed myself.” Tiffany took a piece of kimchi and put it in . “See! An adult,” she proudly smiled. “You should eat too. You’ve been cooking since just now,” Tiffany added. 

 

Taeyeon lowered her arm in disbelief. “That’s your reason?” 

 

“Mhm!” Tiffany did a little dance, smiling after proving her point.

 

Taeyeon shrugged, hand still holding firm on her chopsticks, looking smugly at Tiffany as she watched the brunette take over to cook the meat. “Didn’t know you’re shy to be fed,” she commented.

 

Tiffany paused and shot Taeyeon with an incredulous look. “Shy? I’m not shy. What—” Her body stiffened, and the sensation of heat slowly crept up to her face. 

 

Her attempt to rebut was left hanging when Taeyeon placed the meat in as soon as she opened it. 

 

Leaning back in her seat, Taeyeon grinned as the woman across her slowly chewed the food she had successfully fed her.

 

Not wanting to miss the chance, Taeyeon commented. “There we go. Now, there are three kids having lunch,” 

 

Tiffany’s breath hitched upon hearing the comment, pursing her lips in embarrassment as she continued cooking the meat in silence. 

 

Seriously, does she have bionic hearing or something? Tiffany grumbled.


 

 

 


 

As the lunch rush died down, the trio took the time to enjoy the peaceful atmosphere around them. It was not until Minjoo got up from her seat and went next to Tiffany, tugging her sister’s sleeves.

 

“Tiff unnie,”.

 

Tiffany smiled knowingly at Minjoo since the little one would only be this cute if she needed something. “Neh?” she opened up her arm to embrace Minjoo.

 

“Can we go to the mall later?” Minjoo glanced into Tiffany’s eyes, blinking cutely to flatter her sister.

 

The on Minjoo’s hair stopped when Tiffany heard the request. “What for?”

 

And so she listened and watched as her little sister counted the things she needed for her art class using her tiny fingers.

 

“Don’t you already have drawing blocks at home, Minjoo ah?” Tiffany squinted her eyes in suspicion.

 

“But I need a watercolour drawing block, unnie. It’s different!”

 

“Isn’t it the same?” Tiffany negated.

 

“No, it’s not. It’ll wrinkle my drawing if I used a normal paper.” Minjoo pouted as she reasoned out to her sister.

 

Taeyeon watched gleefully from her seat, resting her elbows on the table and chin on her palms as the Hwang sisters went on about their debate on drawing blocks. 

 

And she called me a kid. Cute. She thought to herself.

 

The sisters turned their heads simultaneously to her, catching her off guard. Eyes widened at the sudden stares, Taeyeon shifted back in her seat uncomfortably. 

 

Did I think it out loud? Taeyeon wondered. 

 

Tiffany kept her eyes on Taeyeon, who was currently avoiding her eye contact. “Who?” She smirked. It was soft but clear enough for Tiffany to make out what Taeyeon had said. 

 

“Hmm? What, who?” Taeyeon asked disingenuously.

 

Tiffany playfully clicked her tongue disapprovingly. “I heard you, Tae. Who’s cute, hmm?” she wiggled her eyebrows teasingly. 

 

“I didn’t say that,” Taeyeon fidgeted in her seat and grabbed water to mask her nervousness.

 

“I heard it too, Tae unnie,” Minjoo chimed in.

 

Taeyeon tilted her head and laughed nervously. “W-what? Must be that person who just left the restaurant,” she pointed aimlessly at the exit door. No one was there. 

 

When the Hwang sisters turned their heads to the door, Taeyeon quickly left her seat to pay for the meal.

 

She almost celebrated her successful escape when a hand tugged on hers. “Not so fast there, Kim Taeyeon.”

 

The familiar sweet scent invaded her nose when Tiffany came into her view. 

 

When did she even leave her seat?  Taeyeon groaned internally. 

 

“N-neh?” She stuttered out. 

 

Tiffany chuckled at the sudden nervousness. She let go of her grip and slipped her card in Taeyeon's hand. “I’ll pay for this meal, okay?” 

 

Heaving a sigh of relief, Taeyeon nodded and was ready to go to the cashier before Tiffany stepped forward, closing their distance. “I think you’re cute too,” she whispered softly but loud enough for Taeyeon’s face to turn red. 

 

Taken aback by the sudden compliment, Taeyeon froze and stood still like a lamppost until she heard a soft ‘excuse me’ from a waiter behind her. Tiffany had already returned to her seat by then. 

 

She hurriedly went to the cashier with a flushed smile and a pounding heart when she saw Tiffany's teasing smile from the table. 

 

Seriously, Taeng. You’re not in high school anymore to be acting shy and all. Get yourself together.

 

Back at the table, Tiffany grinned when she saw Taeyeon standing still in her spot, smiling to herself before going to the counter. She could not help but chuckle out loud, catching her sister’s attention. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter