Nine

The Job
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He dragged his feet as he walked to the door. Today had been his third day back to the gym after his injury and his body was still recovering. He didn’t bother checking his security camera, believing it was his workout buddy who had forgotten something.

 

When he saw her, his entire body stiffened. He was startled. When she said she would visit, he had hoped she meant it. So, for the next six weeks he waited and waited. He even considered calling her but thought he shouldn’t. He had made his feelings clear so the ball was in her court.

 

After week four he had accepted that she wouldn’t come. He thought that it served him right. After all, he had caused her tremendous trauma and no matter what he did, it made sense that she wouldn’t see him as dating material.

 

So now that she was standing in his doorway, he didn’t know what to feel. “Miss Cheon—I mean, miss Song…what are you doing here?”

 

She looked at him warmly and smiled, while stretching a hand forward. “I came to drop this off.” She handed him an envelope.

 

He felt the weight and could imagine what it was but he asked anyway. “What’s this?”

 

“I didn’t throw that car in the River. I figured that bastard should pay us for all the pain in suffering. I found a buyer who didn’t ask many questions. I thought your mom could use it.” She really didn’t want him holding an envelope with that much money with his door wide open. “Can I come in?”

 

He blinked, feeling sorry for his lack of hospitality. “Oh I’m sorry, yes, come in. Would you like something to drink?”

 

“No. I’m okay.” She stretched her arms and looked around. “Your apartment is nice.”

 

“I moved here a couple of days after the…you know.” He didn’t even want to remind her of that terrible day.

 

“Smart.” She remained standing, waiting for him to invite her to sit. “How are you doing?” She fully turned to face him now. He looked damn good.

 

He sat on the couch and motioned for her to do the same. She sat. “Almost like new.”

 

She smiled. “I came all the way here to deliver the money, but I also wanted to see with my own eyes that you were okay.” It was important to her. He had taken that bullet to save her life.

 

He looked at the envelope with cash again. He moved it towards her. “I think you should keep this. We’re okay. Thank you.”

 

She waved him off immediately. “I insist. I don’t have any use for it.” That was obviously a lie but she did well for herself and wanted to help his mom. “How is your mom?”

 

“Thank you. It means a lot.” He gave her a warm look that she reciprocated. She looked even more beautiful than before. Now she wore casual clothes that fit her sort of loose but in a fashionable way. “She’s better.” She had gone to see a specialist in the USA which cost an insane amount of money, but she’s much better and that made him smile.

 

“I’m glad.” She looked over at his abdomen subconsciously. “Is the wound completely healed?” She asked.

 

“For the most part. Sometimes I have a little pain in the area but nothing too rough.” He said.

 

“Can I see it?” She was curious to see the progress.

 

He lifted his shirt and tried his best to be casual about it.

 

She inched closer and casually touched the area that was now open to air. “Daebak! It looks really good!” She looked up and smiled while a finger traced the outline of the scar.

 

He was extremely aware of her touch. It was soft and not calculated. If he didn’t know better, he would think it was even natural for her. But of course, they weren’t that familiar. He gulped and tried to concentrate on the conversation. “The scar should fade with time.”

 

She removed her hand when she saw him look at it. “I’m glad. I’m really glad it all worked out.” She moved away but only slightly.

 

He lowered his voice. “Not everything.” His gaze was fixed on her.

 

“What do you mean?” She had an inkling but didn’t want to assume.

 

“You didn’t come.” He said in a low, sad tone. He had missed her tremendously.

 

The room was quiet for a moment, neither knowing what else to say. Jihyo had a lot to say but didn’t know how to even begin and jong kook had a lot of questions but knew he wasn’t entitled to any answers so he kept his mouth shut. She looked around the place once again, just to have something to do.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter