Reunion

Maybe This Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Jiyong's POV

 

 

After being overseas for six months, I'm finally going home tomorrow. The owner of the clinic where I work sent me together with few doctors and nurses from some big hospitals into different small towns in Thailand to do medical missions. It was exhausting and yet fulfilling. This is the first time that someone from our clinic participated in a medical mission. The clinic I worked at is mainly for general practitioners and relatively new as we are in the business for about two years only.

 

Since tonight is our last night, we held a small celebration. Our leader, Kangjin stands up and offer a toast. "Everyone, please don't get tired of this job." Rest of us chuckled. "Cheers to everyone!"

 

"Cheers!!!"

 

After the celebration ended, others wanted to stroll around but I declined as I just wanted to rest. They tease me again for having a secret girlfriend. "You will meet her soon, don't worry."

 

They just laugh at me. When I went back to my hotel room, I called my parents. "Dear, we are so excited to see you tomorrow." I couldn’t spend the holidays with them as I flew out November last year.

 

I smiled at Mom. "Me too." Then I looked at Dad. "Hey, Dad. Everything okay?"

 

"Of course. We are finally seeing you again tomorrow."

 

"By the way, Dear..." I looked at Mom. "Your Aunty Hyeyoung said that the local government is finally putting up a clinic in our hometown. She asked if you'll be interested with the position. Two general practitioners are needed. The government just started to build the clinic and it is expected to be finished in six months."

 

I smiled awkwardly. "Please tell her that I am declining. It's only been two years since I've become a licensed general practitioner." I've spent 10 years in study, internship and residency. "You also know how Sean Hyung helped me with my career." He is the owner of the clinic where I work.

 

"I already told her about it, but she is just trying to ask since it would be nice that you will work in your grandparents hometown. You know that our hometown is waiting for this moment to happen. If there's only clinic nearby, your grandparents could live longer."

 

Unfortunately, my grandparents died because the hospital is quite far from the house. If there is some nearby clinic, things could turn out differently. "Please tell Aunt Hyeyoung that I'm sorry. I might consider it in the future but right now, I am happy where I work. Hopefully, the upcoming clinic will find someone soon."

 

"Hopefully, dear."

 

When the call ended, I inhale deeply. I spent my high school in my grandparent's hometown as Mom and Dad focused on working so my late grandparents took care of me, together with Aunt Hyeyoung. After my parents had enough savings for my college and their restaurant starting to get stable, they took me back then I lived in the city together with them. I spent the past years studying and improving my skills thus I am only able to visit that small town again when my grandparents died. I felt guilty from time to time but knowing my grandparents, they would understand.

 

As the next day comes, while our team leader is sorting out the check-out process, I noticed a beautiful woman coming in. She looks familiar for some reason. Then I got startled as someone nudged my side. I looked at Dongun who is smiling widely at me. "You know her?" When I frowned, his smile grew wider. "Your eyes did not leave her as soon as she entered the hotel."

 

I chuckled. "Your imagination is running wild again." He is about to continue teasing me, but our team leader is approaching us. Good timing. I simply glanced at the reception, but I can no longer see her. I wonder where I see her before. She might be one of the patients. As soon as I reached home, Mom and Dad hugged me so tight. "I missed your cooking, Mom." I said as I started to eat.

 

She smiled in delight. "Eat more. Hope the clinic is not asking you to start working today."

 

I grinned at her. "I have 2 days off."

 

"That's good then!"

 

When I went to my room, opened my email to check my upcoming schedules until I saw the high school reunion date. It is happening in three weeks. I attended the first one two years ago and it was a nice experience to have a reunion after 10 years. Most of us already left that small town. If I remember correctly, only two from our class stayed. They did not attend the first get-together though. Suddenly, a thought entered my mind then I found myself looking for our high school yearbook and when I saw it, I scan the pages to look for that nerdy girl. Everyone in the class remembers her as she was always by herself. Others tried to befriend her, but she seems not good in socializing, she was a type of student that prefers to be alone and I only heard her speak whenever the teacher talks to her. What was her name again? I just keep scanning until I found her. Sandara Park. She has a resemblance to that woman I saw at the hotel. The only difference is the hairstyle and that nerdy glass. After returning the yearbook, I opened our high school batch group chat. As expected, everyone is looking forward to the second get-together. After confirming my attendance, I chat to them for few more minutes. Since the group chat been created almost three years ago, that nerdy girl never replies even once or at least read the messages. Obviously, she is not active in social media. Then I stopped for a moment upon realizing how I am acting now. Feeling odd as she is occupying my thoughts, I'm trying to remember if we had some interaction

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter