Feel the Lows Before the Highs

Un-thinkable

Kim decided to go out on her day off from classes. Throwing on some high waisted shorts, an oversized tee that she stole from her brother, and her signature beat up Converse, she put her wild, curly hair up in a ponytail and headed for a walk.

She followed wherever her feet took her, which happened to be the corner store. She bit her lip before deciding to walk in, hoping that she'd see Kai again.

She walked down an aisle, looking over to find Kai on the other side of the shelf.

The two walked slowly along the aisle, pretending to be interested in the items on the shelves beside them.

Kim slyly glanced over the shelf on her left to see Kai averting his eyes, whistling an unknown tune. Just as Kai tried to make eye contact with Kim, she quickly dodged his eyes and looked to her right, puffing out her cheeks.

Kim tried once more to look discreetly at Kai but between the gap in the shelf, there he stood, staring straight back at her with a playful smirk on his face. She was caught and couldn't help but smile. She looked away and began walking down toward the end of the aisle with her nose in the air.

Turning into the next aisle, Kai and Kim crossed each other's paths. Their arms brushed the other's. Kai grabbed Kim's hand gently and rubbed his thumb against her skin. As quickly as the moment started, it ended and they walked around the store as if nothing ever happened. On the outside, they looked calm but on the inside, their hearts pounded quickly against their chests.

Little did they know, Kai's father, as well as another customer whom he was talking with, witnessed the small interaction between the two. The customer quickly left the store and Kai's father walked away to the backroom to monitor the two on the security cameras.

Kim grabbed a bag of chips and a soda and brought it up to the register, where Kai was ready to ring her up.

Handing her the receipt with a smirk on his face, they bid each other a simple "See ya later".

Kim walked out of the store, the sun beaming against her skin. She noticed something written on the back of the receipt.

Call me?

     310-555-3424

         -Kai

Kim giggled and squealed, skipping the rest of the way home.

Kai stared at the door that Kim had just walked out of, hoping she got his little message and that she would call him soon.

"What are you looking at?" Kai's father's voice boomed in Korean, as he stared Kai down.

"N-nothing, Dad," Kai looked down, hearing the anger in his father's voice.

"You should be doing work, not staring down a door some dirty black girl just walked out of,"

"Dad! It's not that serious. There's no need to call her that,"

"Have you seen what their kind has been doing? It's all over the tv and the newspapers! It's only a matter of time before they ransack our store! Instead of flirting with that darkie, you should be watching her every move. Make sure she doesn't steal anything. You hear me? And if I ever catch you flirting with her again, you're gonna get it. We lose our kind's customers when they see you associated with...that. Now, get to work! You don't get paid to sit around all day!"

Kai hopped over the counter with a big sigh. "Whatever," he muttered, reverting back to English, knowing his father wouldn't be able to understand.