Chapter 5: Sick day

The Marriage Contract

Cough sound echoed in the hallway. JK opened his eyes and look at his phone. It’s 3 am and the cough sound is getting louder. ‘I knew she was down with cough but didn’t know it was this bad. Should I go check on her’ he stood up and went to reach his doorknob only to stop when he remembered that they haven’t made up yet after their recent fight. when the coughing sound stopped, he walked to his bed back. He was just about to get back to sleep when the coughing sound started again and this time it is no joke. ‘At this rate won’t she break her ribcage’ JK wondered. ‘Ugh who cares about the fight’ he quickly pushed himself off the bed and jogged lightly to her room. He knocked the door a few times ‘are you ok?’. He heard light steps walking and the door opened. ‘Man, she doesn’t look good at all’ Jk thought to himself. Her face was pale and she was holding a tissue to cover . ‘Do you have cough medicine?’ Jk asked.

‘Yes, I already took my medicine’ she replied.

‘Do you want to go the hospital again? I can bring you now if you want. Your cough sounds so bad, do you have fever too?’ I put my palm on her forehead, her cheeks and her neck. It was really hot. ‘Sit on the bed, I’m going to bring you Koolfever’ Jk said and left the room.

He soon reappeared and sat next to her. Jk grabbed her arm and turned her so that she was facing him. He opened the Koolfever pack, looked at her face and pushed away her bangs before managing to plaster the Koolfever on her forehead.

‘About the fight earlier, I’m sorry’ Jungkook said

‘I’m going to buy you a new pair of gloves’ Jk continued.

‘I’m sorry too for exploding to you like that for just a mere glove. I was having a rough morning and then when you did that, I guess I exploded. But I’m still going to wait for my new pair of gloves. I still can’t comprehend how you could throw it away’ I shook my head

‘I really thought it was disposable glove’ he smiled guiltily.

‘Ok, let’s stop talking about my glove. I have a sentimental attachment with my stuffs and I’m going to cry if I think about it again’ she laughed

‘That sentimental attachment thing, I know you have it. You’re the kind of person who gets attached to stuffs easily. Back in primary school, you would buy a sticker book but won’t use the stickers because you love it so much. You thought it was a waste if you used it’

‘And then when you were angry with me, you would open my sticker book and take all my stickers out and used them’ she continued

‘And then you would cry and hit me and then the next day we would play again as if nothing happened’ Jk laughed ‘Sweet old memories. One day when you have your own kids and when your kids are grown up, I’m going to tell all these weird funny things that you did’

‘As if you have none weird funny things right?’ I raised my eyebrow at him. ‘I’m going to tell your kids all the mischievous things you did too, how you would copy my books for answers’

‘Okay enough of reminiscing old memories, go to sleep now, if by tomorrow morning your cough is still not getting better, we’re going to the hospital’ Jk said.

‘Yes doctor’ she replied and Jk laughed. Jk ruffled her hair ‘Goodnight then’

‘Goodnight’ she waved as Jk walked out her room.

She smiled while touching the Koolfever on her forehead. ‘He’s so sweet’ she thought to herself while grinning. That night, despite her sickness, she fell asleep smiling.