Chapter Thirty-Nine

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

"When are you leaving?" Nayeon said a few moments after Momo had left. She couldn't look Sana in the eyes for some reason. There was a great deal of baggage inside her heart that she probably can't fathom properly right now.

"I'm hoping for tomorrow morning," Sana replied, looking to the opposite side of the bed, towards the window. It wasn't just Nayeon who avoided eye contact. Sana was definitely avoiding it as well. "Where is Atty. Kim?" she inquired abruptly.

Nayeon finally looked at Sana at this point. Realizing that Sana would not do the same, she groaned and said, "she's resting," which was obviously not the truth.

It's only that Nayeon didn't want Sana to be bothered once she discovered that Dahyun's decision wasn't in any way reasonable.

"I'll drive you back home tomorrow morning," Nayeon continued, not really offering, but insisting that Sana accede to her terms.

"I can get back home by myself," Sana replied, casting a dismissive glance at Nayeon. "Is Atty. Kim all right?" she inquired. "I could stay for a while if she can't leave tomorrow." "I can just leave with her whenever she wants."

"Can you hold a conversation without bringing up Dahyun?" Nayeon eventually ventured. She felt really uncomfortable on the inside, trying to act as if it didn't matter when Sana mentioned her sister when she was the one present.

But Sana would never understand how she felt.

"What are you saying?" Sana inquired; her eyebrows strained. "You're upset that you keep on mentioning her?" she asked, her tone unnerved. "Don't forget, Nayeon, that you got me closer to her."

That was a fact that Nayeon couldn't reject. "The contract again, I see," Nayeon whispered, her jaw tightening and her breath suppressed. "But I warned you about her beforehand, didn't I?" she questioned, her gaze still piercing Sana's soul. "Don't you remember how you acted back then, Sana? You didn't believe me, and you didn't let me stop you."

"I'm not sure where you're trying to go from here, Nayeon," Sana shook her head, deciding it was best not to hear the woman out, but she probably wouldn't be able to.

"It was your eagerness that drove me to put you in that position," Nayeon continued, continuing despite the fact that she was worried she wouldn't be able to find the appropriate words. "I helped you because you needed me — you needed my help," she stated emotionlessly. 

"Now it's my fault?" Sana couldn't believe what she was hearing. And, if she's being honest, those words pierced her heart like knives. Sana understood from the start that receiving anything at all from Nayeon was a bad idea, but owing to the difficult circumstances she was in, she had no choice. And now she could only be sorry for herself.

Nayeon began to realize how harsh she was being, so she relaxed a little. "I don't mean it the way you think," she murmured, even though she knew it was too late.

"That wouldn't change anything," Sana replied nonchalantly, her gaze fixed on her clasped hands. It was too difficult to look at Nayeon at that point.

"I'm just... I'm frustrated, Sana," sighed Nayeon. "You have no idea how much I don't want to lose you, and hearing what happened last night..."

And, yes, Nayeon wasn't sure if she was getting anywhere with this, but she kept going, wanting to express herself well just this once. "I felt like my heart was going to burst forth through my mouth — I was scared, Sana," Nayeon confessed, her brows arched and her eyes becoming wet. Her tears could then well up and fall freely at any time.

"I don't believe anything you say anymore," Sana replied, shaking her head, finding it difficult to hear these flowery words so soon after the painful ones. "You had lost my trust a long time ago, so now everything you say, everything, Nayeon, felt nothing more than words to me. I don't feel anything anymore," she concluded dimly.

"I shouldn't have signed you up for this," Nayeon grumbled, just loud enough for Sana to hear. "I regret it now," she said, her eyes downcast. "If I hadn't rushed into decisions, you wouldn't have thought of Dahyun the way you do now."

"The way I do now?" Sana questioned.

"Even though you knew your life has been put in jeopardy since you became closer to Dahyun, you refuse to accept it," Nayeon stated. "Don't act as if this isn't the truth."

"It was an accident, Nayeon," Sana stated emphatically. "Why would you even think Atty. Kim would purposely endanger my life?" she questioned, irritated by Nayeon's constant return to the same topic.

"See, that's what I'm talking about. You're not accepting it."

"Because there's nothing to accept!" Sana said, shutting her eyes in frustration. She took a deep breath before continuing, "Atty. Kim isn't the person you believe she is." "I don't know... maybe because you're not close to her you don't know who she really is?"

"I watched her grow up, Sana. What makes you think that I don't mean it when I'm trying to warn you?" Nayeon went to ask, her eyebrows arched in total disbelief.

"Fine, I'll tell you," Sana groaned as she gave up.

"Tell me what?"

"It's the other way around, Nayeon," Sana responded, her gaze fixed on Nayeon's face to show the woman she was serious. "Maybe you're always right, as you think, but let this be the one and only time you're wrong. You're completely wrong about Atty. Kim and this situation that's been upsetting you," she added, only forcing the other lady to glance at her with pinched brows and narrowed eyes.

"I may be in danger," Sana said, nodding her head. "But I'm not in danger because of Dahyun. I'm here because this is what I wanted... what I'm ready to give up to get things straight."

Nayeon was gradually grasping it, but she couldn't be sure until Sana told the entire story. As a result, she chose to remain silent, only listening closely.

"I am the one who has just put Dahyun's life at risk," Sana explained quietly. Her head lowered as a result of her shame. "Everything Atty. Kim wanted to do was to help me. She wanted to prove my father's innocence because she believes in me, Nayeon," she continued, despite her voice quivering from weariness.

"She'd be handling the case," Nayeon murmured after realizing where Sana was going.

"Yes," Sana replied. "And what I have with Dahyun is nothing more than a give-and-take relationship," she went on, "which I know is what you want to hear." "We do each other favors, and that's all there is between us."

Hearing that, Nayeon could only take a deep breath. She couldn't deny it because it was undoubtedly apparent to everyone else. What she was feeling was jealousy, and she couldn't stand the prospect of being replaced by someone she would not have expected.

"Now you know, Nayeon," Sana said after a few seconds of silence. "I hope it helps you feel better," she added flatly, but definitely sarcastically.

The ostensibly brief silence had turned into a longer one, and Sana felt she needed to say something to bring their conversation to a conclusion. "I don't have anything else to say to you," she said. "Please go and never see me again."

"You know that's not going to happen, Sana," Nayeon said. "Our contract is still in effect, which means you have no choice but to deal with me," she said more clearly, but the woman merely looked at her and shook her head. "The contract is unbreakable until finished, we agreed on that," Nayeon responded, not knowing what Sana meant.

"Yes, we did," Sana replied with a nod. It perplexed Nayeon even more, but not until the woman reached for her company ID. A flash drive was attached to it, which Sana swung in front of her face. "This has everything you need," she explained. "You're wrong again because it wasn't Atty. Kim," she continued.

Nayeon was taken aback, not expecting Sana to figure it out in such a short period of time. The latter woman unhooked the flash drive from the ID lace and flung it to Nayeon, who caught it pretty quickly.

"In fact, she even helped me find out who it was," Sana said. "So, Nayeon, we're done." "The contract is over. There's no reason for us to meet again."

 

Dahyun, on the other hand, was having difficulty entering the large company owned by the Zhangs. She had already provided her identification, as she had done in the past, but things did not go as smoothly this time.

"I'm sorry, but you've been blacklisted," the senior security officer politely said.

"Blacklisted?" Dahyun shook her head, not believing it. "For what?" she inquired.

"There was no explanation provided."

Dahyun could only fake a chuckle and crack the sides of her neck in an attempt to relax. "Blacklisted for no reason," she mused, finding it hilarious.

"What appears to be the problem here?" A familiar voice cut the commotion short. That also attracted Dahyun's attention, and when she saw who was behind the voice, she sneered silently.

"I was just explaining to Atty. Kim Dahyun here that she can't get in," the security officer stated, lowering his head. "Her name is on the blacklist," he went on to say.

"Why is it on the blacklist?" Cai Zen questioned; his brow furrowed. Dahyun wondered if this man was simply ridiculing her or if he was truly unaware of the situation.

"No reason was stated, sir."

"Remove it then," Cai Zen replied, raising his eyebrows, and whispering something inaudible to the assembled security personnel. "Take her name off the list," he said more seriously.

"I will, sir," answered the chief security officer right away.

"Are you just going to stand there?" Cai Zen inquired of the employees who were obstructing the entranceway. "Make way for her! Don't any of you have any sense?" he exclaimed.

Dahyun, on the other hand, had her eyes narrowed. She, too, couldn't figure out what was going on. But one thing was certain: she was here for a cause she'd never forget.

Cai Zen's mood shifted the instant Dahyun stepped closer to greet him face to face. His tone softened, and his voice became low and gentle as he inquired, "What brought you here, Atty. Kim?" "Are you here to see someone?" Cai Zen grinned scornfully.

That was sufficient reason for Dahyun to go for what her head told her to.

Cai Zen's left cheek caught Dahyun's fist without caution. No one was prepared for it, since Dahyun was too quick to move, which surprised even the security. It took them some time to grab Dahyun and pull her back.

Cai Zen remained in the same posture he had been placed in following the punch. After a few seconds, he responded with a hearty laugh, perplexing the others. Cai Zen his cheek before wiping the blood from the side of his lips. He faced Dahyun once again after that.

"That was quite unexpected," he added, smiling at Dahyun. "For a woman like you, that's a powerful punch," Cai Zen said, clearing his throat and loosening his tie before adding, "I see, you're here for me."

"Good, you're catching up," Dahyun said boldly.

"Why don't we have a discussion in my office?" "Just the two of us," he suggested.

"Mr. Cai Zen," one of the staff members protested, as they had been charged with keeping a watch on him for a reason these last few days. "That cannot happen," he said.

"I have the right to fire you right now, so don't tell me what to do," Cai Zen stated, looking fiercely at the individual. He then returned his gaze to Dahyun, who was expressionless. "Let's talk, Atty. Kim. I know you have a lot to say," he said, sidelong, tapping the woman on the shoulder.

 

Dahyun didn't hesitate to have that little discussion with Cai Zen, since she wasn't easily threatened by anything. Despite knowing how morally corrupt the man in front of her was, she didn't feel the slightest bit of fright.

"Would you like some wine?" the man inquired, approaching the liquor cabinet on one side of the wall in his office. "I've got all the costly ones in here," he explained.

"Stay away from Sana," Dahyun said flatly, "I'm not going to tell you twice."

Cai Zen chuckled lightly before turning to face Dahyun. "I don't know a Sana, so, I wouldn't be anywhere near her," he said.

"Don't mess with me." "Hey, lady," Cai Zen said as he removed his blazer to make himself more comfortable. "Do I look like I know what you're talking about?" he asked, rolling up his sleeves.

"The SUV you own was the one that followed us last night," Dahyun replied flatly, but her eyes were b with rage. "The person in the passenger seat took a gun out of the window, and I remember it vividly, so don't make a fool of me," she gritted her teeth.

"What?" Cai Zen inquired, his brow furrowed, clearly perplexed.

"I remembered the plate number from when we were in the coffee shop, and it was the same as last night," Dahyun continued. "Do I still have to repeat those numbers to you?"

"Hang on," Cai Zen said softly, motioning Dahyun to pause for a moment. "SUV?" he inquired, and when the woman bobbed her head, Cai Zen laughed and shook his head. "That SUV isn't mine," he explained. "It belongs to my father; if you don't believe me, you can have it checked."

Dahyun strained her eyebrows since she wasn't someone who trusted others quickly and easily. She didn't say anything, but she was watching Cai Zen attentively. This way, she might be able to find out if he's lying.

"I own a Rolls Royce Sweptail, a Mercedes Maybach Exelero, and a Bentley Mulliner Bacalar," he revealed. "If you know cars, you know that none of them are even near to an SUV; I don't like those." "However, because my father discovered that someone, namely you, were investigating me, he had me ride in that extremely unattractive car, all so he could keep an eye on me."

Dahyun was rendered speechless as she realized that someone was indeed watching her and Sana while they conducted a confidential investigation. This was the one thing that bothered her. She was concerned about the lives of those who assisted them, such as Mrs. Cho, might be jeopardized.

"You heard me right, Atty. Kim," Cai Zen remarked with a small smile on his face. "I know you're doing an independent investigation into some cases that seem to link to our family, the Zhangs," he added. "It can't be helped, even if you try to move very cautiously and slowly, our family's connection is no joke."

"It's no surprise you got away with all of your crimes," Dahyun replied quietly. "Your so-called connection will always get you out of it."

"You're pretty smart, Atty.," the man said, recognizing Dahyun's efforts in situations like this. He believed that no one else would be doing as much as the woman in front of him. Most lawyers would still prefer their own safety and lives over that of others. "I'm not going to deny anything," murmured Cai Zen. "Isn't that what you want? For me to pay for what I've done?"

"I'll make you," Dahyun said decisively.

Cai Zen laughed softly and nodded his head. "I know," he admitted, raising his hand in defeat.

"What's your catch?" Dahyun said, knowing perfectly well that Cai Zen would not go down without a fight. "There's a reason you wanted to talk to me too. What is it?"

"I'll surrender and pay for what I've done," he continued, "but I want something in return." "I know you already read my mind, but this is simply to reaffirm your assumption," he added.

"Just tell me."

"First, put my father in jail, then I'll do what you want," Cai Zen replied flatly, his countenance grim. Dahyun didn't fully understand, so all she could do was stare at the man, perplexed. "I have everything you'll ever need," he continued, "evidence, eyewitness accounts, whatever... I'll provide you with everything."

"Why should I trust you?"

"Should you really be asking me that question?" Cai Zen wondered aloud. "Atty. Kim, I should be the one holding back because you are my enemy." "If anyone of us two should be afraid of the other, it should be me, because you are the smart one and can turn me in whenever you want."

"So, why should you trust me?" Cai Zen inquired. "That isn't the right question to ask; it should be, why should Zhang Cai Zen trust a threat such as you?"

"How about you answer that question?"

Cai Zen chuckled, assuming Dahyun wanted to know everything before agreeing. "Because I don't have a choice," he explained. "My father has the law in the palm of his hand; he plays with it like it's a toy." "If I try to find someone else to do the job, they will undoubtedly fail me. Because no one cares less about their life than you."

Dahyun couldn't help but laugh when she heard that. She wasn't sure if she should be surprised, but Cai Zen seemed to read her better than anybody else.

"You'll go to any extent just to get your way," Cai Zen added. "You're the only person I have left to trust with this, which is why I do."

"So, you badly want your father in prison?"

"Exactly."

"Why?"

Cai Zen sat on the edge of his desk, thinking for a moment before speaking out. "I'm sick of him," he declared casually. "Is that a good enough reason?" he questioned, tracing circles on the desk surface with his index finger.

"He feels he can control me because he is older and, more significantly, because he is my father." "I truly hate that feeling because I am not his puppet."

Dahyun felt sorry for him for some reason. She is certainly in the same boat as Cai Zen. Dae-won may not have done as many horrible things as Cai Zen's father, but being a protector of crime is also a crime. But Dahyun lacked the will to retaliate against her father and betray him in some way.

"That man always forced me to do things I didn't want to do," Cai Zen stated subtly. "He's trying to mold me into someone like him, and you know what? It that I did."

"All because I wanted to prove myself better," he gritted his teeth. "I don't see a way to stop it anymore because I've already turned monstrous."

Dahyun glanced out the window, attempting to alleviate her burden by taking in the magnificent view of the city. "Your father hates you, doesn't he?" she asked, causing Cai Zen to chuckle and hum.

"He does, of course."

"About last night," Dahyun began, finally returning her full focus to Cai Zen's face. "You're claiming it was your father's doing."

"I guarantee you."

"If he actually hates you, why was he trying to protect you?" she wondered. "He wanted to get rid of me because he didn't want the lawsuit to resurface and harm your reputation." "Am I wrong?"

"No," Cai Zen said with a shake of his head. "Sure, he hates me," he said, "but he still needs an heir — someone to carry on with his crap."

"You're not interested in the company?"

"I don't give a sh*t about that," he laughed, cracking his neck side to side before standing up. "Why would I be surrendering myself if I was after the company?" he reasoned out.

Dahyun smiled a little as she nodded her head. "It's good to meet you and have this much information," she began. "But you're right, I'm the smart one," she grinned, putting both hands into her pockets.

"I'll turn you and your father in even if you don't volunteer to help me."

Dahyun approached the door, ready to go, immediately after uttering those words. But then Cai Zen asked her a question that caused her to second-guess herself. "Would you be able to keep your attention on Sana 24 hours a day, seven days a week for only God knows how long?" "To protect her... Atty. Kim," he managed to stop Dahyun from turning the doorknob. "There's more than one person following you and your lovely girlfriend." "Any time she's out of your sight, her life is at risk."

Dahyun swallowed hard, tensing her jaw before returning her gaze to Cai Zen. "What are you suggesting now?" she said, her face heated with annoyance.

"I'll get her protection," Cai Zen stated, "so you can be sure she's safe and no one can harm her." He then approached Dahyun slowly, placing a hand on one of her shoulders. "In exchange, you will work on my father's case," he practically whispered.