Chapter Seventeen

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Dahyun, on the other hand, stood in front of a massive, well-designed structure. She was wearing sunglasses, so it wouldn't hurt if her eyes followed that height all the way to the top.

"Just standing here makes me feel like something is wrong," she said to herself before returning her focus to the entrance, where a large number of males in suits and ladies in formal attire went in and out.

Dahyun stayed there for a few more seconds before deciding she wanted to see what was inside. Well, only to know if there is anything to be observed there.

She walked straight in, pretending to be a regular employee or a mere guest. And, thankfully, the security guy did not seem to notice her. That's what she might have believed.

But when the security guy said loudly, "Excuse me!" before Dahyun could even get far from the entrance, she realized that he really had seen her coming in. It caused Dahyun to stand in place, without turning back, because she was thinking of an excuse to cover up her true reason for coming there.

"Excuse me, ma’am," the man said again. And this time, it worked, as Dahyun faced him with a tiny smile on her face. "I'm sorry," he said, "but could you just come closer?"

"Sure," Dahyun said, fearlessly approaching the man. "Is there a problem?" she asked, perhaps to intimidate him. She can say that it appeared to be working.

"No, ma'am," he said. "All I ask is that you identify yourself."

Dahyun paused for a moment, hesitant, but she couldn't just walk out the door. That would give the man an even more suspicious impression of her. "Dahyun Kim," she flatly stated.

After hearing Dahyun's complete name, the security guard took his radio. "Do we have a Dahyun Kim working in this company?" he queried.

Dahyun should have been nervous by now, yet she managed to remain calm. It appears that she is willing to take action if her plan fails.

The two of them finally heard a voice from the radio after a few seconds of waiting. "We don't have that name on the list of staff." That caused the security personnel to furrow his eyebrows in question. He stared at Dahyun, somewhat skeptical of her.

"I'm an attorney," Dahyun explained squarely. "From Kim Law & Criminal Defense," she said before presenting her business card and identity card in front of the man's face.

"She works for Kim Law & Criminal Defense," the man explained over the radio. And they shortly heard a response to that.

"All good, let her pass."

The security guy stood up straight and made a bow in front of Dahyun, which she had not expected. "I apologize for the inconvenience; please continue inside," he said.

"No problem," Dahyun responded, placing a gentle touch on the man's shoulder. "You're doing a good job," she said, not wanting him to feel like he was at fault for something.

After all, Dahyun knew she would attract everyone's attention in this place because she was the only one dressed casually. That, however, should not be her fault. This type of attire provides her with comfort.

 

Dahyun put both of her hands in her pockets, continuing her intention to look around this place. She could say something is extremely strange based just on what she can see right now. The men walking around are of various ages; some are a little younger than she is, others are her age, and a few could pass for seniors. But that wasn't the odd thing Dahyun had noticed. All of the women that passed and continued to pass in front of her appeared to be young. No one seemed to be older than her, which made her ponder what the explanation could be.

Dahyun was about to move when two lines of workers appeared completely out of nowhere. As a result of this, her brows were pinched. She is perplexed as to what is going on, but it quickly subsided. That's because a man his age appeared from the deeper inside of the building, marching down the middle of the two lines of workers as if it were an aisle.

Dahyun asked herself, "Is he the CEO?" but tilted her head as she realized something. "He does not resemble the one in the photos online," she continued. "The CEO should be aged; is that one his son?"

There are many questions in her mind, but one thing is certain. This man, who is currently on his way out of the building, is someone she should pay close attention to.

Dahyun had to stop at some point, despite her desire to continue her small search. Dae-won, her father, dialed her number. She initially believed it was unimportant, but that is never the case with her father.

"I need you to come to this place," the man said over the phone as soon as Dahyun answered. "There is someone I need you to meet," he went on, "and it's important."

Dahyun could only answer, "I'll be there in a moment."

 

 

Sana came home far sooner than expected. She didn't have anywhere else to go but to meet Dahyun earlier today. Sana walked back home as soon as their discussion ended, and they parted ways. She could have gotten a taxi or a bus instead, but the woman, like how Sayuri knew Sana, would rather walk till the thoughts in her head ran out.

"How can I pay Atty. Kim back now?" Sana thought to herself, exhaling deeply in frustration. She used to wonder why everything was so difficult for her, but she didn't have the energy to feel bad about anything anymore. Sana is simply exhausted and wishes to sleep and wake up only when everything is in place. That, however, is impossible to happen.

Nayeon, who was in the driver's seat of her car, had her gaze fixed on Sana. She knew the woman so well, even from a distance, and it was all by heart. Sana always accused her of not taking their relationship in the past seriously, but Nayeon knows she did. It was simply her decision not to argue about it every time because doing so would upset Sana even more.

When Sana arrived at her front door, Nayeon took advantage of the opportunity to quickly exit her vehicle. She shouted, "Sana!" and the woman turned to look at her.

 

"Why is she here now?" Sana wondered as she reached for the keys in her handbag, eager to get inside. Unfortunately, though, Nayeon was quick enough to run from where her car was parked to where Sana was standing.

"Stop. We need to talk," she said as she grabbed one of the woman's wrists.

"We don't have anything to talk about, Nayeon," Sana remarked flatly. As mentioned earlier, she lacked the energy to react to anything.

"Please, just leave," she practically whispered. Sana's voice sounded exhausted, but that shouldn't be an excuse for Nayeon to walk away and let her concern go. Well, not after leaving her workplace in the middle of a meeting to make sure Sana was okay.

"You can't tell me that," Nayeon murmured, grasping both of Sana's shoulders and guiding the woman to face her.

"Why can't I?" Sana asked, her brow wrinkled as she pierced Nayeon's gaze. She could see the worry, but she refused to recognize it since she despised the woman. "And please let me go," Sana continued before shrugging her shoulders gently.

Nayeon felt unable to do anything other than let Sana look for the keys again. After all, she would never compel the woman to speak to her when she clearly did not want to.

But it's only fair to say this. "You needed me, Sana," Nayeon muttered, but Sana could hear her. This prompted the woman to stop the search for the keys.

"I did not, Nayeon," Sana stated harshly.

"There is no way you would ring a number I own that you knew eight years ago if you weren't desperate and in need of me," Nayeon stated sternly, and she couldn't apologize even though she recognized she had used the wrong words. Then again, Sana is supposed to understand that she acts this way when she is deeply concerned.

"Fine," Sana replied. "Maybe I was insane during that time and felt that I needed you." "When I really shouldn't need you at all."

"You can't make your heart do something it doesn't want to do, Sana," Nayeon replied, shaking her head from side to side. "If you felt like you needed me, it's because you truly... actually do."

Sana was rendered speechless, and she felt it was necessary to cry and throw herself at Nayeon. She just felt so vulnerable that she might actually need someone's comfort, particularly comfort inside someone's arms.

"Sana," Nayeon said calmly, her eyes softening as well. Her hand reached out to touch one side of Sana's face, guiding it back to face her. "What's going on?" she inquired, and this time Sana decided to break down her defenses.

 

 

Dahyun had arrived at one of the city's well-known Chinese restaurants. Her thoughts continued to revolve around what she had witnessed. It's possible that she's overthinking things because, after all, she didn't see all of the female employees there. Perhaps Dahyun didn't see that there were elderly women as well. But then she argues with herself that it would be impossible for her to overlook such details if she only focused on the age of the persons there based on their physical appearances.

Of course, Dahyun's only option now was to disregard her concerns. According to her father, she needs to meet with someone important, which just means she shouldn't be thinking about anything else.

"Good day," Dahyun said to the person at the reception desk who had arranged the reservations. "I'm with Kim Dae-won," she stated.

"Ms. Dahyun Kim?" the staff member asked, reading from his computer.

Dahyun bobbed her head when she heard her name. "Do I still need to present ID?" she inquired.

"There is no need," the man replied before exiting the registration counter. "I'll lead you to the room," he said.

"Room?" Dahyun asked, her forehead wrinkled.

"The VIP room."

"There is a VIP room?" Dahyun couldn't help but say in surprise.