Chapter Nineteen

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Jeongyeon and Jihyo remained in the lobby after the meeting was over. They were particularly awaiting Momo, who had someone else to see before her schedule inside the office was finally cleared. She still needs to go to the museum before heading home just to make sure everything is okay. Momo's duty as an exhibit designer includes ensuring that all is in order, especially since Nayeon isn't there.

Momo had just left her office with a special guest when she noticed Jeongyeon and Jihyo in the side of her eyes. She didn't react to their presence because the guest she was with would notice.

"Please inform Ms. Lim that I will be sending her a private email," the senior man in a suit stated as they approached the building's exit.

"I'll let her know as soon as she returns," Momo replied courteously, stopping at a short distance only to see the guest off from there. "Thank you so much for stopping by," she continued before bowing in reverence.

"Thank you," the man said before shifting away.

 

Momo stood up straight after sensing the guest had gone far. That's when her shoulders fell from tiredness. When Nayeon requested her to continue the meeting, she had no idea what to do. Momo had never done anything like this before, and despite the fact that she is a sociable person, she is nervous about speaking in front of professional people. That is one of the reasons she did not choose to be a museum docent, a position Sana had applied for at Son & Art. She did not, however, get the job.

Momo exhaled deeply for the last time before turning around. She gasped, catching her heart above her chest as a result of what she had seen. "Why are you standing so close to me?" Momo questioned aloud. It's only that she didn't notice anyone approaching her from behind.

Momo's reaction made Jeongyeon and Jihyo laugh out loud. They hadn't intended to startle the woman, but that little moment brightened their day.

"Are you going to be the new boss now?" Jeongyeon teased Momo, wiggling her brows in mockery. "Well, if you become the new boss, that's totally fine with me," she said, exchanging glances with Jihyo.

"Yeah, everything would be cool...and fun," Jihyo said.

"Are you implying things are boring when Nayeon is the boss?" Momo squinted her eyes, leading the other two women to purse their lips. "I'll inform her of your concern," Momo responded formally, as if she was still talking with a guest.

"But seriously, Mo," Jeongyeon remarked, her eyes wide with curiosity. "How come Nayeon notified you about the stolen and missing design but not me or Jihyo?" she doubted.

"Because she trusts me more than you two?" Momo asked boldly, though the other two women knew that she was joking. Jihyo burst out laughing, while Jeongyeon rolled her eyes, almost shuddering at the idea. "You could have reacted better," Momo grumbled.

"It's not my fault you sound ridiculous," Jeongyeon scoffed.

"Honestly, though," Momo remarked, suddenly appearing serious. "When I asked why I had to be the first to hear, she answered it was because you girls would freak out."

"I mean, as we should?" Jihyo wondered, scratching the top of her head. "That competition is in less than three months, and we're back to zero," she explained.

"Exactly," Momo replied. She tried to think of a reason why Nayeon wasn't concerned by it, but she couldn't come up with anything. "Something had changed with her," she said quietly, drawing the attention of the two. "Normally, she would be infuriated by this."

"Yes, absolutely," Jeongyeon said, nodding her head. "First, Ms. Chou unexpectedly signed with Son & Art instead of us; second, the design was stolen, and who else would do it but those people again?" she said, making Jihyo wonder in silence. Momo and Jeongyeon made solid observations, but Jihyo was wary about jumping to conclusions.

"And the fact that she acted so calmly when she found out about those two makes me doubtful," Momo remarked.

"She asked me to run a background check when she should have been stressed out by the canceled contract with Ms. Chou," Jeongyeon sought to put out the facts for the three of them. "And now she's left the meeting while the issue at hand is critical," she continued.

"Maybe there are reasons why she is doing all of this, you know," Jihyo remained optimistic, despite her own reservations. "After all, Nayeon is known as the lone wolf, which means she enjoys working alone," she explained, trying to spin the situation in a positive way.

"Maybe," Jeongyeon said, shrugging her shoulders.

 

 

 

"What kind of job is it?" "I'd like to know first."

Nayeon's lips curled up into a tight-lipped smile. She certainly did have something for Sana to work on, and it seems that she had been thinking about it for some time. Sana wasn't sure why, but simply seeing that smile made her heart race.

"I need you to spy on someone for me," Nayeon replied after a while, drawing a puzzled look from Sana. The woman clearly did not expect something like this.

"Are you kidding?" Sana asked, her brow strained. She was expecting Nayeon to burst out laughing and tell her that the job would be nothing like that. Sana, on the other hand, did not receive any of that. And based on Nayeon's appearance, she realized it was a serious matter.

"Why would I joke around?"

"Spy on someone?!" Sana exclaimed loudly, causing Nayeon to widen her eyes at the woman. It looked as though she was telling Sana to be quiet.

"Why are you really asking me to do something like that?" Sana inquired, this time in hushed tones. "You should hire an FBI agent or... I don't know, maybe someone in that field," she added, shaking her head decisively. There is no way she would accept such a job. "Look, I know I can do a lot of things, but I haven't tried that one yet, and I wouldn't want to try it as well," Sana muttered.

"It's not the kind of spying where you need to wear all the dark clothing and have a sniper if that's what you are thinking, Sana," Nayeon sighed. She should have used another term, but spying is the one that matches the description. "Do I look like I want to put you in danger?" she asked.

"Yes," Sana responded immediately, causing Nayeon to groan.

"No," she said, "even if I ask you to do this work, my first priority is to guarantee your safety."

"How could that happen? Will you accompany me everywhere as I spy on someone I don't even know yet? " Sana arched her brows, still unable to believe Nayeon was serious about this. "How would you know that nothing would happen to me?" She asked.

"I just know," Nayeon remarked.

"What?" Sana couldn't help but laugh in disbelief. "Is that supposed to reassure me that everything will be fine?"

"You are the only person I know who would be able to do this job without any difficulty," Nayeon added, seeking to persuade the other woman.

"But if you decline, I will respect your decision." "I'll start talking to my connections to find a position where you'll be willing to work."

"What's the reason you need to spy on someone, Nayeon?" Sana questioned, dismissing the woman's previous statements. "At the very least, I need to know why I should do it before I make a deal with you," she added, which made perfect sense.

"The other company, our rival, constantly gets a hint of what we're doing in my team," Nayeon said calmly, though she, too, is bothered by this. It's simply that she couldn't exhibit any emotion, particularly at work. Nayeon is unsure who to trust there because she suspects there is an inside guy who delivers information to the other company.

"A global artist, Chou Tzuyu, was meant to sign a collaboration agreement with us for the design that we would be exhibiting at the awards event," Nayeon added, her gaze fixed on Sana's face. The woman was paying close attention to her, which happened again after many years. "However, she unexpectedly signed with the competitors."

"And last week, the file of the design we were supposed to work on went missing. There's no way someone would just trash such a brilliant concept. So, I'm assuming someone took it and deleted the only copy my team has," she discussed in detail. "I want to know whether it was them to make sure that if I filed a lawsuit, it wouldn't go to waste."

"The rival company you're referring to is Son & Art, isn't it?" Sana wondered, prompting Nayeon to nod her head in agreement. "Who exactly am I supposed to keep an eye on if I say yes to this? Ms. Chaeyoung Son?" she queried, demanding confirmation because if that is the case, the task would be difficult. "I wasn't able to acquire the position I was applying for, remember? And I'm not in any way acquainted with Ms. Chaeyoung to spy on her," Sana made clear.

"Not Chaeyoung," Nayeon confirmed after a few seconds. "Even though Chaeyoung is the CEO of that company, she still reports to someone higher up," she explained. "And that would be—"

"Atty. Kim," Sana eventually picked up the idea.

"Yes," Nayeon replied. "That's why I claimed you were the only one who popped into my mind," she explained, and surprisingly, Sana was still keen to listen. "We talked about it the last time," Nayeon began, sighing as if she didn't want to admit it, "you are acquainted with my sister." "If anyone can accomplish it without raising suspicions from her, it's you."

"You know it's like asking me to attack her in the back, right?" Sana furrowed her brow, while Nayeon stayed mute, realizing that it could pass for the same thing. She never thought she'd get this far, but she can't let her company crumble under the pressure given to them by Dahyun.

"I'm not sure what's going on between you and Atty. Kim, but Nayeon, she's kind to me. She does everything in her power to help me, and I'm thankful to have someone like her I can rely on," Sana explained. Indeed, she needed the money Nayeon was offering her, but the situation was troubling for her. "I'm not sure if I can manage to do anything like this," she admitted.

"I understand, Sana," Nayeon murmured, nodding her head, and peering around. She couldn't come up with anything else to persuade Sana, so she decided it was time to call it quits. "I genuinely respect your decision," she continued.

"But if you have a change of heart, which I know is impossible for you, please give me a call." "And if you do decide to contact me, don't leave me hanging," Nayeon added, her voice monotonous.