Chapter Twenty-Seven

Eager Beaver (Book 1)

Nayeon's birthday had finally arrived. Yu-jun was so excited that she got up early to go to the store and prepare for her daughter's birthday party. Dae-won, despite his image of not being a supportive parent even to Dahyun, made the time to cooperate with the preparation. Yu-jun's heart swelled with joy at this. She is overjoyed by her husband's generosity.

Dahyun, on the other hand, received a message from her mother early in the morning. The woman, as expected, invited her to her sister's birthday dinner. She will never have a choice in this matter. It had always felt like a duty to gather around a special event.

"Can I come?" Mina asked, sitting across from Dahyun at the table. They are currently waiting for Chaeyoung and Tzuyu because they have business to discuss. So, while the two were still on the way, they needed something to talk about. It fell on Nayeon's birthday, which will take place later over dinner.

"Yeah, okay," Dahyun responded immediately. "My mom would be delighted to see you there," she continued, "she's been wishing to see you since the wedding and also is sorry she didn't have time to attend and congratulate you."

Mina smiled shyly and shook her head, "That's not an issue; I can't expect people not to be busy just because I need them to make time for me," she explained.

"Well, at least you know they're happy for you," Dahyun replied enthusiastically. "But my mom might still bring that... thing up," she cautioned, sighing. "You know, she's always rooted for us, even though I've made it clear that it's never going to happen," she went on, only to make Mina giggle. She had always thought it was amusing that people looked forward to her relationship with Dahyun.

"That's why you should look for someone to settle with; you're also at the proper age, and I'm sure your mother would want to see her children happily in love with someone as well," Mina pushed, only making Dahyun smile, as if she was speechless.

"I don't see Nayeon getting into any relationships any time soon," she muttered, concerned about the woman. "Even though that bothersome Coleen has already returned."

"Coleen is back?" Dahyun inquired, utterly ignorant. "Nayeon must be terribly frustrated by now," she thought, remembering how Sana and Coleen would have a significant impact on Nayeon's life. This is, in some ways, a good thing for her because it gives Chaeyoung's company an advantage in the competition. Everything would be a major distraction for Nayeon, she is certain.

"I could tell," Mina responded. "By the way, Dahyun-ah..."

"Hmm?"

"You sent me a photo of you and Sana," she explained. "I had no idea you were also friends."

"Ah," muttered Dahyun. "We weren't friends for a long time," she admitted gently, perhaps startled by the sudden need to discuss Sana. "Though I did hear from her that you two were also good friends, and you were... living in one home?" Dahyun inquired, uncertain.

"Ah, yes, that's right," Mina responded, remembering how she had never told Dahyun about it before. "It was like a large place that was for rent," she began to tell the story of her friendship with Sana and Momo. "You know I want to make my own life, right? That's why I moved out of my family's home and began a life without relying on them."

"When I found out about it, Momo and Sana were already there, and I learned that they had known each other for a long time, and I felt like an outcast all the time, since I had no idea what they were talking about," she continued. "And I used to hate Momo because she had this intrusive attitude and kept interfering on what I was doing, so we would often clash."

"So, you went from enemies to lovers?" Dahyun taunted, leading Mina to lightly laugh and nod her head.

"Sana always looked for a way for us to get along," Mina recalled openly, sighing as she remembered the good old days. "You see, we really got along," she chuckled, "Me and Momo."

"There's no doubt about that," Dahyun replied. "You ended up marrying each other."

"It was, in any case, the best decision I've ever made."

"That's very sweet of you, Mina."

 

 

Later that night, while driving, Nayeon couldn't stop gazing at her phone for some reason. It seemed as though she was expecting a call or a text from someone specific.

"This is absurd," she thought to herself as she tossed the phone into the passenger seat. Right then, she heard a chime, prompting her to exclaim, "damn it!" She was fortunate that the stop light had turned red, allowing her to reach for the gadget yet again.

But when she looked at the notification panel, she was dismayed. Apparently, it wasn't the greeting she was expecting. "Fine, you forgot," she muttered, having given up on waiting for that message.

It wasn't long until Nayeon arrived at her father Nam-gil's residence. They had both agreed to come together for dinner. The man was truly pleased by the idea. He had been looking forward to seeing Yu-jun, especially, for a long time. It was more like he was relieved that the woman had truly forgiven her. Perhaps Nayeon was correct when she claimed that the man had just not forgiven himself, which was why he felt burdened.

"Happy birthday, Nayeon," the man said as soon as the door to her automobile opened. He wore a warm smile, seemingly glad to see Nayeon as well.

"Come on in, dad," Nayeon responded, also pleased. "Before we go there, we have a lot to talk about."

"Like what?" inquired the man.

"Like how to act at dinner," Nayeon responded, her face serious. "We shouldn't do anything that would ruin Mom's night," she continued.

"Of course, I wouldn't do such a thing," Nam-gil responded promptly, even chuckling as if she found Nayeon's notion funny. The woman, on the other hand, retained a straight face, clearly not believing her father. "I promise!" exclaimed the man, still seeking to convince his daughter.

Oh, yes, Nayeon was correct in her judgment.

 

 

"Can someone pass the vegetable salad?" Dahyun requested, reaching for it on the table, but it was too far. It drew everyone's attention, including Mina, who wanted to grab it for the woman but couldn't reach it either.

"Don't you know everything there is to know in the world?" Dae-won asked bluntly. "You should know how to find your own means to get your salad then," he stated, prompting Dahyun to fake a laugh in disbelief.

The man is definitely still acting this way as a result of their last conversation, which evidently did not go well. Dahyun completely understands how Dae-won felt, but becoming all childish in front of everyone around is not something she would accept.

But before she could say anything, someone lifted the container of vegetable salad and passed it to her. Everyone looked at the person, noticeably taken aback by the deed. Dae-won couldn't help but shake his head in incredulity.

"Thank you, Mr. Lim," Dahyun remarked as she accepted what was offered to her. Because of the kind act, she chose not to say anything simply to increase tension.

"This is why that brat never learns her lesson," Dae-won remarked quietly, yet everyone could hear him.

"Dae-won," Yu-jun tried to warn, despite knowing that nothing could stop the man from saying anything he wanted.

"That's not how you get your child to listen to you," Nam-gil interjected soon, standing up for Dahyun, who remained silent. "Respect begets respect, dear friend; if you want to have a better bond with her, you should understand this."

"Dad," whispered Nayeon next to Nam-gil. "Stop it," she said.

"I'm not saying this out of nowhere," Nam-gil murmured quietly to Nayeon. "You can see what's going on."

"Yeah, I know," the woman sighed before continuing. "But even so, this will not help the situation."

"You don't get to tell me how to raise my own child, Nam-gil," Dae-won finally responded. And now comes what Nayeon feared would happen. "Who are you to say anything? You should be grateful that I let you inside my house."

"Don't make everything about yourself," Dahyun said before digging into her vegetable salad. "He's obviously not here for you, so why should he feel grateful to you?" she wondered.

"Don't say a word, Kim Dahyun," Dae-won cautioned.

"How can I not tell you something that will help you heal your obviously shattered connection with your daughter?" Nam-gil questioned, shaking his head in utter disbelief. "Is this how you treat everyone who tries to help you?" he questioned.

"Stop right now," Yu-jun ordered sternly. "Can't you see Mina is here? Should she witness how badly divided this family is?" "Have some respect, all of you."

"I can't let this man speak to me like this in my own home, Yu-jun."

"You heard mom, stop it," Dahyun said.

"You two, dad, don't say anything else," Nayeon instructed Nam-gil.

"All right, jeez," the man responded calmly. "I was just trying to help someone who couldn't raise his own—"

"You think that's how I wanted things to turn out?" Dae-won asked again, having overheard Nam-gil's words. It frustrated Nayeon even more that she could only take deep and slow breaths. Mina had noticed this, but she couldn't find the right chance to ask about the woman's well-being.

"Why are you being such a butthurt?" Nam-gil inquired, his brow furrowed.

"I'd gladly tell you the entire thing now, Nam-gil, if that's what you want," Dae-won taunted. He seemed to have no intention of losing to Nam-gil, which Dahyun thought was funny, prompting her to smirk subtly.

"Then do it. What's stopping you?" Nam-gil said confidently.

Nayeon stood up, thinking that this stupid dispute needed to stop. She had successfully captured everyone's attention, but she didn't have anything to say.

"Nayeon-ah," Yu-jun murmured, sensing that what had happened had already spoiled the birthday celebrant's mood.

"I'll get some air," Nayeon said quietly before moving the chair with the back of her legs. She turned away without saying anything else.

"See what you just did?" Yu-jun raised her eyebrows, looking at Nam-gil and Dae-won, who had finally stopped talking. "You should be ashamed that you are the oldest individuals in the room, yet you are both the most immature," she added as she stood up, deciding to leave the room as well.

Dahyun, on the other hand, did not appear to be affected. She smiled at Mina as she shifted her glance at her. "Do you want anything else?" she inquired. "It looks like we'll soon have the entire table to ourselves," she said. Dae-won stood up just then, giving Dahyun one more look before going away.

"Ah," Mina muttered, unsure what to say to Dahyun. "I guess I'm full," she said, despite the fact that she had only two spoonsful of rice.

Nayeon sat in her car, holding her phone between her fingers while listening to soft music on the radio. She had no idea how to calm herself in this position. Even though Nayeon didn't like to celebrate birthdays, she was looking forward to unwinding over this dinner. It's too bad nothing is moving along nicely.

"I should have just gotten to work this late," she sighed to herself. But she couldn't do anything else. Even if she could drive away tonight, she didn't want to upset her mother by leaving without saying goodbye.

Her phone began to buzz continuously a few moments later, suggesting that she had received a phone call. To her surprise, it was the number she was expecting to receive a greeting message from. After all, Nayeon had discovered a cause to smile. So, she answered the phone without hesitation.

"Hello?" said the woman at the other end of the line softly.

"Hi, missy," Nayeon replied, a slight smile on her face lingering. "You called?" she inquired.

"Yeah, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday."

Nayeon chuckled and nodded her head. She's feeling much better now, and she wouldn't tell anyone otherwise. "Thank you, Sana," she said, "really."

"Everything okay?" the woman asked unexpectedly, and Nayeon realized that Sana had assumed something was wrong because of her gloomy tone.

"Ah," mumbled Nayeon. "Of course."

"It's not, you liar," Sana whispered quietly, laughing. "Is there any way I could see you tonight?" she inquired, slightly disconcerting Nayeon. "Only if you're not too busy," Sana said, trying not to seem demanding. "There's no pressure," she continued.

"Please see me," Nayeon requested, her expression sincere.