You Have Me, Onkey - Pg 13

Song Drabbles

Middle of the Night by Elley Duhé

          Kibum smiled from behind his ale held between both hands, elbows pressed against the thick aged wood of the tavern table, the rest of his face hidden by the shadow of his hat. He wasn’t supposed to be here, but it was the first time in quite a while his favorite Bard was near enough for him to see perform. The last time had been almost half a year prior, stumbling into the inn of a random port town he had found after a king’s bounty had gone astray. Jinki’s voice filled the space bodies weren’t taking up, swelling bright and full in the candlelit tavern. From his spot he could see the man grinning, spinning around a support post, white linen shirt loose around his body moving with him. His hair was tied up with the usual dark blue ribbon, a bit falling and curling slightly the longer he performed. Kibum remembered the night he had given the man that ribbon, even if it had been years ago in the middle of their time traveling together before responsibilities had caught up with them.

          Jinki was just as charismatic, a full-on flirt as he made his rounds. As he approached Kibum lowered his ale, resting his hands flat on the table, and the pause in the man’s steps was barely noticeable, but he knew Jinki recognized him. The song ended with a flourish, Jinki laughing brightly as he bowed deeply to the applause of the gathered crowd and the rhythmic thumps of mugs against the tables. Kibum lifted his head just a bit, safe in the dimly lit corner of the room, and grinned proudly when he felt Jinki’s eyes on him across the way. The last song of the night began to play, the same closer the man always performed, but Kibum knew the story of it, had lived through it with him. He paid his tab at the bar and took his leave, head dipped low as he bobbed and weaved through the crowd to the stairs leading up to his room. Before closing the door behind him he tied an identical navy ribbon to the door handle. Jinki would find him if he wished to.

          His hat was placed softly on the small table against the wall, his thick outer cloak unclipped and swirled from his shoulders to rest, quickly folded, beside it. He could still hear the faint sound of Jinki’s voice, the music bright and quick, helping to create the world the man was spinning with his words. He could remember a time where Jinki’s name didn’t hold much weight, where he wouldn’t hear the hum or words of his songs randomly on his own travels, and Kibum shook his head, shaking away the fond memories of a time long passed. By the time the buckles and laces of his boots were taken care of, and his feet slipped from them, the noise had died down a bit. He tried not to get his hopes up, put too much of himself in the faith he had in Jinki, in what they had once had. Time changed many things and with his popularity, Kibum wouldn’t be surprised if Jinki had found another lover, someone who could give him what he deserved instead of what Kibum had to offer.

          Methodically his fingers moved down the buttons of his clothes, the fabric soft and well worn against his skin, folding them just right with each garment he pulled from his person and placing them together next to his pack and weapons. There was water on the dresser, cool to the couch and a bit of provided soap beside it. He could use a proper bath, but he would make do with what he had until he returned to the castle or found a decent body of water to clean himself with. While warm water was more comfortable most of the time, the cool water felt wonderful as he used it, eventually dipping his head into the large bowl, working at his scalp with his fingers. He was twisting his hair in a towel when the sound of knuckles raking against his door gave him pause. 

          There on the other side was Jinki, so much more beautiful this close-up, voice almost a whisper it was so quiet, dark blue ribbon intertwined in his fingers instead of the doorknob. This side of him, the bit that Kibum got to see alone, was his favorite. The soft, gentle warmth, the quiet words, and careful brush of fingers. Any doubts he may have had about what they were, what this relationship was, flew out of his mind at the sound of his name in the rumble of a voice. “Kibum.” 

          The next moment he had his hand around the back of his neck, tugging him into the room and managing to shut the door behind him as he pressed Jinki against the wall, lips sliding together with a soft groan. God, he made the prettiest sounds. He kissed down his neck, panting against it for a moment as he let his hands move down Jinki’s body, thumbs pressing into his hips. “I missed you.”

          “You have me,” Jinki breathed out, a rumble from his chest, fingers curling in the back of Kibum’s hair, almost desperate. “I’m yours.” 

          Just like that, it was like no time had passed between them, time meaning nothing as he laid Jinki out on his bed, moved up his body leaving his mark with each press of his fingers or mouth, reminding himself what it felt like to be with the man he loved. Outside of that small inn room, nothing else seemed to matter, just the press of his skin as Jinki arched up into his touch and dived headfirst into the sea of the man’s being. There was no telling when the next time they would see each other or get the chance, and they were quite used to making the most out of stolen moments.