Morning Coffee, Jongyu - G

Song Drabbles

In Case you didn’t know - Brett Young

    Between work and the kids, he knew he didn’t openly appreciate Jonghyun as he should, at least not like he used to. While the way time changed things could not be stopped and how relationships shift over the years, one thing that hadn’t changed was how crazy he was about the man or how he was sure he’d never be able to live this life without him. The twins were still asleep thankfully late Saturday morning, a blessing in itself with how early they usually rose. Next month they would turn three, and God, they couldn’t already be three, could they? He paused then, one hand gripping the handle of the coffee pot and the other steadying Jonghyun’s favorite mug, and realized they would be. If it wasn’t for the stairs creaking as someone jogged down them, his husband by the rhythm, Jinki was sure he would have stayed in that exact position for a bit longer trying to wrap his head over how their small babies were almost three. He shook his head and slowly poured the piping hot liquid into the mug, the dark color swirling lighter with the right amount of cream and a dash of cinnamon he had already put at the bottom. By the time Jonghyun shuffled into the room, hair a mess on his head, glasses threatening to fall from the tip of his nose and mismatched slippers on his feet, the mug of coffee was already placed on the kitchen island in front of his favorite spot.

    Sleep was still so evident in his being, eyes half-closed, movements slow, but he perked up when he saw his mug. His smile was still so breathtaking so many years later, that warm swoop feeling in Jinki’s chest being on the receiving end of it. “Good morning.” 

    He had never been very vocal with his feelings, not in the way Jonghyun was, but saying he loved the man was just about the easiest thing he could do. He loved him dearly, so much so sometimes it ached in his chest if he thought about how much Jonghyun meant to him. At the beginning, he’d leave little notes about how he felt. Jonghyun had taken up the habit and started to leave poems for him, and still now, every so often Jinki would find one folded up under his phone on the nightstand in the morning in his light, quick hand. At that moment watching as Jonghyun practically curled around the hot mug, eyes fluttering shut as he breathed in the aroma deeply, Jinki wasn’t sure he wouldn’t sprout in romantic prose if he was honest with himself. Before the coffee cooled just enough for the man to begin to drink it, Jinki stepped forward, ghosting his fingers over the side of his face to curl around the back of his neck. Jonghyun made a soft, rather adorable, sound as he kissed him, but slowly returned it as his mind, still lingering with sleep, managed to catch up. 

    One hand pressed into his lower back, keeping him close even if Jonghyun hadn’t moved closer to deepen the kiss. When they finally parted, Jinki was sure his hair was more ruffled than Jonghyun’s had been with his case of the bedhead, and there was an alluring flush to the man’s skin. “What was that for?” 

    “I love you,” His thumb caressed over Jonghyun’s cheek, a smile tugging at his lips fondly. “I’m still so crazy about you and I just feel like I don’t tell you enough how important you are to me.” 

    “Oh, I love you too, but,” He chuckled lightly, bumping their noses just a bit, “You show me every day, Babe. I know, but thank you for telling me.”

    By the time the twins were beginning to wake up, Jonghyun had managed to drink half of his coffee while it was still warm, something that rarely happens nowadays with how often it was abandoned to take care of something for the children. Jinki pressed a kiss to his cheek, hand pressed down on Jonghyun’s thigh when the man began to move. “Finish your coffee. I’ll get them.”