CHAPTER TWO

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS: Bound to Break The Destiny

Lisa has just arrived at the parking lot of her dad's building. Ever since she learned to drive, she'd park at the exact place. She has been doing it for 12 years now, and her feeling permanently has not changed. Flashbacks of the last time she saw her mother still pains her. She still remembers looking at her straight in the eye while saying, "I love you, mom." right there at that exact spot. She had no idea that it would be the last time. 

"This way, Ms. Lisa. Your father is expecting you today." Lisa was approached by some attendants who work for her father. She just smiled at them and greeted them, "Thanks!" she added. Lisa headed straight to the elevator going to the 50th floor. She takes her phone from her pocket and is about to text Jennie, but she insists on checking her e-mails instead. 

"Ugh. Work, work, work. When will you ever end?" she just smiled abruptly at the thought of being busy this entire month. She handles one of her father's businesses which is a multi-media company. Most of her work is in photography and graphic designing. She's so into it that she also handles teaching at Seoul University as a part-time professor in Arts. Hence the reason why most of her weekdays, she's at the cafe which is just in front of the university.

She has just reached the 50th floor. As the door opens, she's greeted by one of the personnel working on that floor. She headed straight to her father's main office together with her dad's secretary.

"My dear child, you are finally here! I have been waiting for you." Mr. Manoban said delightfully as soon as he saw her only daughter. He embraced her and let her sit down on the couch.

Lisa puts her phone inside her bag. "I am sorry, appa. I just got caught up with the traffic. Why did you call me? Is there something wrong? Anything urgent? Do we have a problem here in the office?" she asks with a worried tone. Meanwhile, the secretary served them tea. It's jasmine tea, and it's her mom's favorite. 

"Uhm. Nothing serious, my dear. It's just that I want to know when you are going to settle down." Her father randomly responded. Lisa gulped from what she had just heard. "I am not getting any younger. You are not getting any younger, too. Someday when I die and be with your omma, you will be left alone." he added convincingly. "I am sure you know that. You need to get married. Find someone you can marry." he said. 

In Lisa's mind, "Oh, here we go again." she takes a deep breath while trying to find words to respond to her dad. "I am sure, dad, you also know that I am not marrying a man. Right? You know my preferences, and I have been so open to you about it." she takes a sip from the tea while still figuring out where this conversation will go this time. 

"I know, dear. I also understand that. Now is the time you find the...." her dad said, but she cut it out and said, "Appa, I understand what you want me to do. I know that you want what is best for me. I know that we have talked about this so many times. It's just that I do not think I can completely give my heart away this time. I am still in the process of..." she continued, but her dad butted in, "Grieving? Coping? You cannot do that all your life, Lisa. Remember what I always tell you? The cure to a broken heart is another love. All you need to do is open your heart to someone just as much as you did before, or maybe even more." Lisa's dad convincingly said with worries that his daughter might forever stay alone. 

"I am scared, dad." Lisa sighed while trying to compose herself. "I do not want to lose another person just because of my doings. I am sure I can learn to love again, but maybe it's not yet now. I can't promise I can completely do that, but for you appa, I will try." she added. 

Mr. Manoban hugs and kisses Lisa on her forehead while she hugs her back. "I always want what is best for you. I love you. Your mom loves you. We both want you to be loved much more than you deserve." he smiled. 

"Alright, dad. I have to go now. I always want you to be safe. Just call me if there's anything you need. I am just going to go to my unit now." she bids goodbye to her dad. She hugs her one last time and leaves the office. 

Inside her car, "Maybe appa is right. It has been five years now. It's so hard to forget you, but can you please give me a sign? Can I let you go now? If this heart is ready, can you at least tell me?" she sighed at the thought while looking at an old photo. She puts it back in the compartment and drives away. She is going to her unit first to change her clothes, and then she will check Jennie. That's her plan. 

Meanwhile...

Jennie is still at the cafe. She has just finished checking some inventories and money at the cashier. She then looked at her watch and was surprised when she saw the time. "Oh my god! It's already 5:45?? I only have less than two hours to prepare. Geez!" she suddenly uttered, but some of the staff around her heard what she said. 

"Are you okay, Ms. Kim?" they asked. "Don't mind me, guys. I am okay. I need to leave. Kindly take charge until midnight. I will try to come by before the cafe closes, arasso?" she added. "Alright, Ms. Kim. Take care," they responded and bowed. 

When Jennie left the cafe, her staff could not help but talk about her. It's their first time seeing their boss approaching a woman in a very flirty way. They are aware of her preferences and what they saw today was somehow a sign that their boss is up to something, or perhaps someone. 

As soon as Jennie gets in her car, she dials Lisa's number. 

Before Lisa could even start the car, her phone rang. She snapped out from thinking and proceeded to answer the call. She smiled widely as soon as she figured out who was calling. In her mind, "Is this your sign? If this is a sign, I will hand it over to fate right now."

"Hey! I hope you are not busy this time and that you have not forgotten our date later." Jennie said with a smile on her face as soon as she heard Lisa's "Hello." on the phone. "I also hope you still remember me!" she added excitedly that she almost spilled the cup of coffee she's holding on her lap. 

"Tell me, how can I ever forget the woman I gave my number to without any hesitation?" Lisa answered in a teasing manner. "Also, tell me, how can I ever forget that smile of yours?"

"Oh, you got me there! Haha! You will never forget me. That, I am sure of." Jennie responded teasingly. "Should I pick you up, or you pick me up? Where?" she asked Lisa. 

"I will pick you up. I want to know where your house is, so I know where to take you home." Lisa answered with great enthusiasm. She's even surprised by how she responded, but she knew it was something she wanted to do for her. "Send me your address. I will pick you up a quarter at seven, alright? Just wear something casual, too." she added. She starts her car as soon as the call ends. 

"Arasso! I will see you then. Take care, Lisa." Jennie responded with a sweet and caring tone. In her mind, "It has been a long time since I last cared for someone this much. I guess it's also about time I open my heart." She starts her car as soon as the call ends. 

Over an hour had passed, both of them had prepared for their so-called "first date." 

Lisa is about to leave her condo when her phone rings...

 

Ring... Ring... Ring...

 

---to be continued---