CHAPTER ONE

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS: Bound to Break The Destiny

Location: Lili & Nini's Cafe, Seoul, South Korea

The cafe has stood across the famous Seoul University for over 20 years. It's owned by the favorite couple of the '80s, Lili and Nini. They fought their way to find their true love. Hence, the cafe's existence reminds everyone of their beautiful love story.

Meanwhile, Lisa has just entered the cafe. "Aigo! It's so hot outside!". This cafe has always been her go-to place whenever she feels alone. Being in this place feels like part of the world she has always wanted. It's just her, the crew, the people and their business, and the book where one of her favorite poems is written. 

"One large hot mocha, please," she says as she orders from one of the crews in charge that time. She did not even bother looking. Her mind was just floating. It's not even stress or anxiety, but there's just that "feeling."

"Alright, Ms. We'll serve it to your table. Anything else?" the crew asks. 

"Nope," Lisa answered without looking. She's busy checking her phone. She missed her dad's call earlier because she was busy driving. 

Crew's POV: "Why didn't you even bother looking? Didn't you know I am the owner? Aish! I always see you here, and you never even bother having conversations with anyone, even with the rest of my crew. What a loner. But hey! I think I have got a crush on you!"

"Damn, self! Why do you even bother thinking!? Maybe you're not just her type.", Jennie utters to herself while preparing Lisa's order. She's even torn between serving it or just asking someone to do it.

"Ugh! Whatever!" she utters again. "Yeri, please bring this to that woman at table 14." she hands her the drinks and walks away. She goes to the restroom to clear her head a bit.

"No worries, Ms. Jennie! Right away!" Yeri answers with joy. 

"Excuse me, Miss. Here's your large hot mocha." Yeri smiles while putting the drinks on Lisa's table. The latter did not even bother looking but still smiled. 

"Thanks, Miss," Lisa answered. She starts putting her phone on the side of the table, grabs her book of poems from her bag, opens it, and starts reading some of her favorites. It's always like this when she's in this cafe. 

Meanwhile...

Jennie just got out of the restroom. She can't help but stare at Lisa. "There she goes again with that book. I always see her here alone. I wonder why."

After a while...

"Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness."

Lisa reads it out loud enough that the following table could hear.

"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."

Jennie butts in with that line which she is aware of because she has read it a couple of times. 

"Are you a Max Ehrmann fanatic of you just know the lines?" Lisa asked in wonder when she heard the woman's voice.

"None of the two. I always see you holding the same book while reading it aloud in this coffee shop. Haha!" Jennie smiles while looking at Lisa. For the first time, she encounters and sees her adorable big eyes.

Oh, kay gandang pagmasdan ang iyong mga mata

Kumikinang-kinang, 'Di ko maintindihan

Ang iyong mga tingin, Labis ang mga ningning

Langit ay bumaba, Bumababa pala ang tala

"Oh! Just a force of habit. Desiderata is a reminder. It just happened that I am always here whenever I read it.Hehe." Lisa replied, and she did not even understand why she bothered replying. When some people approach her at the cafe, she ignores them and pretends she's busy reading. But there she was, she just responded to her. Somehow it made her heart skip a beat. 

"By the way, I am LISA. Glad to have someone like you at this lonely hour." Lisa extends her arm to shake hands with Jennie. The latter did not expect such a gesture because Lisa does not even look at the people or talk to others based on how she knows her. 

"I guess you deserve a beautiful me at this moment. Call me JENNIE." Surprised by her response, but yes. That's what she exactly said. She smiles at Lisa, and for the most prolonged eye contact, she holds it. 

"Aish! Do not smile at me that way." Lisa says while smiling. 

"Is there something wrong with my smile? It is the usual ME every day." Jennie replies in wonder. 

"That smile of yours might make me fall in love with you. When we part ways today, I might not even forget that. Don't you think it's crazy?" Lisa answered seriously. 

Jennie, on the other hand, instead of feeling awkward, did not even feel a slight of it. There's more to this woman in her head, and she wants to find it out. Jennie wants to know her better. She wants to spend time with her. 

"Then I guess I will always smile like this." Jennie shows her smile again to Lisa in a more teasing way."

"So that I will not forget you? Is that so?" Lisa asked. She sips the drink from her cup. She wonders where this conversation is leading.

"So that you will fall in love with me, and the rest will be part of our story," Jennie says without even stammering. She even winks and smirks at Lisa.

Lisa drinks the remaining mocha in her cup. She gulps when she hears what Jennie just said. She was caught by her smile, eyes, pretty looks, and teasing manner of attracting her to the core of her silent heart. "I do not know, but I like what you're doing to me," Lisa utters to herself while staring at Jennie. 

Jennie was surprised by what she had just done, but in her head, she was celebrating. "Finally, Jennie!!! You finally got the nerves to introduce yourself to her. The long wait is ing over."

"Step 1 is done, so here's step 2." Jennie takes out her phone from her pocket. "Can I have your number?" she hands her phone to Lisa while acting cute and sassy. 

"How can I even say no to that?" Lisa smiled at her, took her phone, and typed her number. 

"Can you text me now so I can save your number?" Lisa asked Jennie. The latter takes her phone and sends a message to Lisa. 

It says: YOU HAVE BEEN MY ULTIMATE CRUSH SINCE DAY ONE! - Jennie.

"Really?" Lisa smiled after reading it. That kind of smile melted Jennie's heart. It felt like she had just won something she couldn't even explain. 

Jennie nods her head. "Yup! Unless someone gets mad, I have to re-do these things here and even try forgetting that I asked you. LOL," she added. 

"Are you subtly asking me if I have a girlfriend?" Lisa smiled at Jennie and even stared at her while asking. On the other hand, Jennie felt shy but still looked at Lisa with her gummy smile. "I do not have one, neither am I committed to any," Lisa added, which made Jennie's heart flutter.

"Great! Amazing! That's great! Yeah!" Jennie responded. She suddenly ran out of words to say after hearing that Lisa was single. She noticed that Lisa had already started packing her things back into her bag. 

"Are you leaving now?" Jennie asked. 

"Yes. I would love to stay and talk with you, but my dad is waiting for me at his office. How about you? Are you staying? Can we meet again later tonight? How about dinner with me?" Lisa asked, smiling. 

"Whoah! Slowly! Haha. I own this place. Lili and Nini are my grandparents. Mhmm. Sure. Is 7 PM alright with you?"

"Really? You owe me stories, then. I have always been curious about this place. I will see you here at 7 PM; then we'll go somewhere, okay?"Lisa smiled at Jennie, and deep inside her, she was also surprised about how fast things went between them. It was just minutes when they started talking, but she already felt comfortable. 

Jennie walks with Lisa up to the front door of the cafe. 

"See you later." Lisa smiles at Jennie. The latter waved her goodbye.'

-----To be continued-----