CHAPTER THREE

STAR-CROSSED LOVERS: Bound to Break The Destiny

Oh, your sweet disposition

And my wide-eyed gaze

We're singing in the car, getting lost upstate

Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place

And I can picture it after all these days

Ring... Ring... Ring...

Lisa checks her phone to see who is calling. It's an unknown number. She rarely answers calls like this because she thinks it's just a prank. "Two more rings, and I will answer," she said in her mind. 

A few minutes later...

Lisa has just arrived at Jennie's house. She parks her car right in front of the door and turns off the engine. Before getting off the vehicle, she sprays perfume on her body puts some on her neck and wrist, too. "I guess this is enough," she uttered. 

"Good afternoon, Ms. Lisa. Ms. Jennie is waiting for you." the maid said with a huge smile on her face. "She's upstairs. She will be here in a while. Would you like some tea or coffee?" the maid asked. 

"No, it's okay. I will wait for her here. Do not worry about me." Lisa responded politely. 

Lisa roams around the place. "This house is enormous and engineered perfectly. I like the rustic vibes, too. Jennie has got a pretty taste in terms of interior." she uttered in amazement. She continued looking at the frames and figures hanging on the vast walls until suddenly, one frame caught her attention. It's an old photo, somewhat in the 1960's era, and she believes it's a couple. 

Suddenly, Jennie arrives downstairs. She saw Lisa staring at the old photo. "They are Lili and Nini, my grandparents." she smiled as she approached Lisa. "Too bad they are gone now," she uttered while sighing. "I miss them terribly, Lisa. When I lost my parents, they looked after me. Everything you see here, it's all theirs. 

Lisa heard Jennie's footsteps as soon as the latter spoke, but she could not remove her eyes from the photo. It looks very familiar. She is unsure, though, but she knew it was not the first time she saw it. 

"Oh, Jennie! You're here. I am sorry to hear that. I am sure they are happy about your achievements now. I am sure they are proud of you." Lisa responded upon hearing Jennie's side of the story. "But if they are Lili and Nini, and they are your grandparents, so your mom or your dad was conceived through what?" Lisa asked in a curious tone. 

"IVF," Jennie responded shortly. At first thought it was weird, but looking at them then, I realized it was possible. Hahaha," Jennie answered, laughing. "You know what, I guess it's normal to miss deceased loved ones, right? Every time I miss all of them, I go to this particular place somewhere and spend a couple of days there alone," she added. 

"Aw. I miss my mom, too, and... (she was about to add another name but refused to do so) I do the same thing. It's normal to miss them. You are only human. You feel emotions. Maybe next time when we miss them, let's hang out?" Lisa asked in a joking manner, but she was serious about it. She wants to join Jennie. She thinks it will be helpful for them to be each other's company. 

Time won't fly. It's like I'm paralyzed by it

I'd like to be my old self again

But I'm still trying to find it

In Jennie's mind, "There's something about Lisa that I want to get to know more. I noticed the sudden stop when she mentioned her mom. There must be someone else. I do not know, and I want to know."

In Lisa's mind, "Why did my heart flutter when I heard her voice? Why did I feel nervous? Was it obvious? Did she notice it? It feels like the first time after so long."

"Are you okay?" Jennie noticed that Lisa was staring at her. She snaps her finger on her face to get her attention back while laughing. 

"Oh, of course, I am! Hahaha! I am sorry. I was just stunned to see you right now." Lisa replied while trying to compose herself again. 

"I told you to dress casually, but why are you wearing a backless top? It's evening and a bit cold. Good thing I always have a jacket with me." Lisa uttered silently while smiling. She was stunned when Jennie turned her back to get her bag on the couch. Lisa saw how flawless Jennie's skin was. She even saw Jennie's body shape. It's too y not to feel anything. "Ugh. Self. Calm down." she uttered. 

"Shall we?" Lisa lifts her arm to reach Jennie. She holds Jennie's hand gently and clings it to her arm. They both know there was a tingling sensation there. It's a shot of the moment in those seconds when they both found comfort just staying that way. It's as if they're born to meet each other. 

"Why are you giving me these butterflies? I hope you do not notice how my heart skips a beat because we're this close." Jennie uttered in her head while walking towards the door. "Can you stop being so gentle like this?" she added silently. 

In Lisa's mind, "For the longest time of being alone, why don't I feel lonely now that you're here? If this is a sign, then I am all for it. If something beautiful blossoms here, I will do whatever it takes to have you for a lifetime." but then "Ugh. It's too fast. I know we just met, but yeah, there's something. I know that you know that. I feel like you, and I have met before." 

They have just reached Lisa's car. She opens the door for Jennie and takes on the driver's seat right away. As soon as she got in, she helped Jennie buckle her seatbelt. It was too close that their face almost touched. 

Jennie felt Lisa's breath and could not even help but adore Lisa's smell. Jennie held Lisa's hands. "It's okay. So where are we going?" she smiled to break that moment because she might not be able to stop herself from kissing Lisa. 

Lisa, at that moment, was too cornered because she felt Jennie's breath on her face, and she smelled her, too. "You have that lovely scent that makes me want to take you home instead," she uttered. "Good thing you cut me off from this moment because I am sure I am not going to stop myself from kissing you," she added while talking to herself and composing herself again. 

She moves back to her seat comfortably and starts the car. "Secret. I won't tell you. It's a surprise." Lisa smiled as she responded. 

"Aish! Alright. I won't ask again. I trust you, though. Be careful in driving. Stop staring at me, too. Focus! Hahaha!" Jennie said while teasing Lisa. Lisa, on the other hand, smiled and pressed Jennie's cheeks. 

'Cause there we are again on that little town street

You almost ran the red 'cause you were lookin' over at me

Wind in my hair, I was there

I remember it all too well

 

---To be continued---