Anew

Visible to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Son Technological Industries. The company is considered as one of the top rising tech companies in Seoul. Started just 10 years ago, the company rose to fame because of its advanced technology in the medical field. For 10 years, the company has provided support and assistance to the medical field, especially to the most complicated illnesses and disabilities. Not just that, but the company was rumored to be established by an orphaned ten-year-old, a feat that can never be done in the next set of years.

The rumors were never confirmed. Only those inside the company knows.

Son Seungwan, founder and current CEO of STI, sits lifelessly in her chair at her office on the 21st floor of the building, her line of sight trained on the sole picture frame standing by the left side of her desk. She takes it carefully, and she slowly runs her thumb on the photo.

It’s a picture of her and her siblings some years ago while sitting by the beach's shoreline. The three of them are looking far away from the camera, their side profiles and Hawaiian shirts blending beautifully with the sunset sky's orange background. She runs her thumb over Chaeyoung’s smiling face and Jeongyeon’s goofy one. A lone tear escapes from her eyes.

“You’re still here?” A voice from the door grabs her attention. “I thought you came home to check on your sister.”

“I did. I came back after. I needed to meet with Chief Kim earlier.” The figure entered the room and sat in front of Seungwan.

“And?” The person softly said. “What did he say?” Seungwan looks away, still holding the photo frame carefully.

There was silence, with Seungwan looking away from her companion, a fresh batch of tears beginning to pool at the rim of her eyes. She looks back at the photo frame and takes a deep breath, knowing that her companion is waiting for her answer.

“When we left our father,” she whispers, “it was both the best and the worst time of my life.”

(There was a thunderstorm that night, but it didn’t stop 10-year-old Seungwan from taking a few of her belongings, Chaeyoung, and Jeongyeon out of the Son family mansion. The patriarch was not there, making it easier for the three girls to escape through Jeongyeon's open window and run as fast as they could.

When they reach the highway an hour later, they catch the first bus they see. As the bus takes off, they slump on the backseats, panting but with a sigh of relief. Seungwan looks back at where their house was located with sadness, not entirely happy with leaving their house's comfort behind. But she knew it had to be done for their sake.

She was deemed as a young genius in their town, a child prodigy in all subject matters one can think of. Now, she feels that leaving home is the stupidest thing she’s ever done.

She looks to her side and sees her siblings smiling for the first time since their mother died 2 years ago, and she’s instantly reminded of why they had to leave in the first place.

“Aren’t you too young to travel without your parents at this time?”  The bus driver’s voice rings out from the front, him looking at them through the mirror. Seungwan musters her sweetest smile while looking back at him.

“We’re out to meet our dad,” she lied, and she had to pinch Jeongyeon who snorted. “We always travel alone since he’s busy with his work in” she looks at the front of the bus, “Seoul.” Her smile doesn’t falter even though the driver’s eyes look sceptical.

“How about your mom?”

“Dead.” The 8-year-old Jeongyeon deadpans, and her older half-sister slaps her thigh.

“I’m sorry,” Seungwan says still with her sickly-sweet smile. “My sister doesn’t know how to filter her words.” Jeonyeon glares at her.

“No, I’m sorry for being rude. I didn’t mean to pry.” The driver smiles, and he returns his eyes back to driving.

Throughout the ride, the driver keeps giving suspicious glances towards the only passengers on the bus. Seungwan notices this after a while, and she suddenly pulls out an envelope full of cash that she stole from her father’s study hours ago.

“It looks like Father gave a bigger allowance than before.” She makes sure the driver hears her. Jeongyeon gives her a questioning glance before it turns into a subtle smirk.

“Isn’t that a good thing, unnie?” She grins, going along with her sister’s show. “This time, we can do so many more things than before. Father did mention that we’ll stay with him in Seoul longer.” 

They talk until they are sure the driver’s convinced of their little act. They then look at Chaeyoung, who is sleeping by the window. They giggle, happy that their 5-year-old is now sleeping soundly.

After a few hours, the bus stops, and they hop off after paying the driver. They remain standing at the bus stop until their ride leaves, Chaeyoung sleeping soundly while Seungwan carries her. 

“Where do we go now, unnie?” Jeongyeon asks, eyes shining with excitement that makes Seungwan almost guilty for leading them away into nothing. She honestly doesn’t know what to do after leaving herself, nor does she know where to go. Jeongyeon seems to notice her older sister’s hesitance, and she grabs Seungwan’s free hand.

“Whatever happens, I trust you, and I love you, unnie.” Seungwan smiles with the younger one’s confession, and she hugs her with one hand, careful not to wake the sleeping cub up.

At that moment, Seungwan promised herself that she would do everything to provide for them and to protect them with her life.)

“I broke my promise. After ten years. I became lax, and it was stupid of me to do so.” Seungwan’s companion stands and goes straight to her side and hugs her.

“Seungwan,” the person whispers. “We never saw this coming. Don’t blame yourself.”

“Chief Kim. He said that I should give up looking for her.” She scoffs. “That they’d still continue searching but that we should prepare for the worse. That stupid, cocky Heechul. He made people think I grovelled on my knees for his help, and then he told me this.” A mirthless laugh rings through the entire room.

“It’s not a matter for the police to handle, Wan. We both know that.” 

“And yet I let myself hope that it was.” She buries her face on the crook of her companion’s neck. “I wasted time believing that it is a normal case when, in fact, I knew he found us.” The hug tightens, and Seungwan slowly melts to the comfort and warmth of it. “Now, I’ve decided what to do.”

“You know I’d be here for you whatever happens, right?” Seungwan smiles.

“Yeah, of course, Joohyun-unnie, and I love you for that.”

The chirping birds were the first to register in Nayeon’s hearing when she woke up from her dreamless sleep, the sun rays hitting her face. She blinks her sleep away, and she realizes that she’s in her bed with her pajamas on. She sits up, confused.

I don’t remember reaching home.

She looks at her clock. 6:37 AM. She then notices the cup of water and aspirin beside it. 

In case you wake up with lingering headaches. -Yoona

She smiles because of the note and because she doesn’t feel any headache anymore. In fact, for the first time since the start of the trimester, she feels refreshed. She then gets up to freshen herself for today.

An hour or so later, she goes down to the kitchen and sees a kimbap plate and a cup of hot chocolate on the table, the same set of breakfast Yoona places every day. This time, instead of ignoring it, she goes to the kitchen and sits at the table, looking for her sister. She shrugs and grabs a pair of chopsticks to eat. Tuna kimbap, she muses, and she smiles.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter