Bond

Visible to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona: I’ll pick Chaeyoung up for her to rest. Can I ask your chauffeur to accompany us?

Sana: Yes, I told Mister Choi already, but be careful. He can’t really see Chaeyoung.

“So, Miss Yoona, what did you give Miss Nayeon? It must be that important if young master Sana asked me to pick you up.” Siwon eyes Yoona, who was sitting at the backseat, through the rear mirror. They are driving back towards the Im’s after Yoona “gave” something important to Nayeon (when the truth is, she picked an exhausted Chaeyoung up). She looks back at the man, a small smile on her face.

“Ah, her English workbook. Nayeon forgot it, she can be a klutz sometimes.” Lies. Yoona just thought of an excuse when Sana told her about Siwon not seeing the young ghost. Nayeon doesn’t even have an English class today. 

Yoona chuckles naturally to cover up. Humming in response, Siwon looks back at the road. When she’s sure the driver’s attention is solely on the road, she glances at Chaeyoung who is fidgeting at her seat while struggling to keep her eyes open. She sighs in pity. Poor kid. It must be uncomfortable for her to be with someone who can’t see her. The car stops at a red light.

“Miss Yoona–”

“Please don’t be formal, oppa, it’s just us here.” She takes her attention away from the freshman to avoid suspicion from Siwon. She flashes a big smile and Siwon chuckles.

“Sorry, habit with the Minatozakis.” Siwon drops his smile when he glances outside the tinted car window. “The seer, Kim Sunggyu, is dead. He was killed a few weeks ago.” There was silence, and Siwon lets Yoona take in the news. 

“But I thought he’s safe somewhere with his friends?” Yoona’s voice turns quiet, her eyes wide in unbelief. The last time she’s heard of the only seer living is that he escaped with six of his friends after he fearlessly declared that the prophecy will come true soon.

That was seven years ago, the same year where their father died, Jaebum disappeared, and where Nayeon almost lost her life. Sunggyu was only 19 that time. Yoona was 17.

“They were ratted out. The bastards took the others. Woohyun escaped, however, and is in hiding right now. He said in a letter that they were being tortured to death.” 

“Oh no. Who ratted them out?”

“That’s the weird thing. Woohyun’s being vague about it.” Siwon sighs. “No wonder the berserkers seemed to be one step ahead. They discovered where the prophesied ones were before he died.” He grips the steering wheel so hard, Yoona can see his white knuckles from where she is sitting.

“Sunggyu-oppa had always been an honorable berserker. He always believed in the prophecy, and that peace is achievable between the two parties. I’ve always liked him like my older brother.”

“Yeah, he was a good man, but I’m pretty sure the young master would never agree.”

“Who can blame her? Berserkers murdered her clan. Of course, she’d be prejudiced.” Yoona sighs. “What becomes of the seer position now, oppa?” 

“You know the rules, Yoong. Once the seer dies, the seer-in-training gets fully ordained. I’m pretty sure they’re looking for the new one right now.” The traffic lights go green. “Guess what, I found out from a reliable source that the new seer is here in Seoul, but I don’t think the berserkers know that yet. We’ve got to find that seer before them.” Instead of turning left towards the Im’s home, Siwon turns right, confusing Yoona.

“Oppa, where are we going?”

“We’re gonna detour a little bit. Can’t risk his men knowing where you live.” Siwon replies with a low voice. Yoona’s eyes widened in surprise. She looks outside the car and sees a suspicious man lurking around the area.

“What’s going on? Who’s he?” A confused Chaeyoung, who has been silent the whole time, asks, and Yoona gives a glance before looking back outside the window. The cub takes it as a sign that the older Im will tell her later. So, she keeps quiet.

“Our home’s shrouded with a charm to put berserkers away so hopefully they won’t notice.”

“Yeah, but we can’t risk them seeing you entering your home. That makes your charm useless, no matter how strong it is to keep them out.” Siwon makes another turn, eyes searching for any other suspicious people.

“What do you suggest doing then? We can’t just drive around until they get tired. For all we know, they might be scouting the whole day.” Siwon looks around and his eyes light up with an idea.

“Yoona, do you, perhaps, have a secret back entrance?”

Sana runs to her next class after making sure Chaeyoung and Yoona get into their car safely. She curses her clumsiness when she trips on nothing. No amount of spiritual power can negate her clumsiness, she muses, and she groans while picking her things up.

She ignores a voice calling and the stares that follow her and continues to run until she skids to a halt in front of the Home Economics room. Luckily, their teacher hasn’t arrived yet and she sighs in relief.

“Unnie!” The voice that kept calling her earlier comes back, and Sana looks to see a panting Dahyun on her knees, in her hand was somewhat like a takeout lunch. “I didn’t know you run that fast, Sana-unnie.” Despite being breathless, Dahyun gives the junior a cheeky smile that makes Sana internally squeal. How cute.

“Dahyunnie? What are you doing here? Don’t you have class?” Sana can’t help but ask the cheery sophomore. She knew Dahyun has Philosophy as an elective, and the room is far from where the Home Economics room is (don’t ask why she knows that). Seeing the sophomore here puzzles Sana.

“I have, but I came to give you this!” Dahyun hands the takeout to the curious older girl. “I didn’t see you during lunch, so I thought you might’ve not eaten yet. I bought you lunch, it’s on me.”

“Aw, you didn’t have to, Dahyunnie.” Sana coos, and deep inside she feels touched with the younger girl’s gesture.

“Nah, consider it as a payment for tutoring me in Geometry last Saturday.” The older girl looks at her with so much adoration she can’t help but blush. “Uhm, I guess I’ll get going now. The bell did ring 10 minutes ago. See you around, Sana-unnie!” Dahyun jogs away while waving at a dazed Sana.

“Bye, Dahyunnie,” Sana whispers while waving shyly. She remembers the lunch she’s holding when Dahyun skids towards the right. A chuckle escapes , and she checks the lunch she received while entering the noisy Home Economics room.

She sits at her designated table and takes the lunch out. There’s a note on top and Sana picks it up and reads it.

I was supposed to treat you to lunch today but I didn’t see you at the cafeteria. So, I asked around, and Jihyo-sunbae told me you like spicy food, so I got you spicy chicken skewers for takeout if you didn’t really eat. Hope you like it, unnie! -Dahyun

Opening the packed lunch with a smile, she checks if their teacher has arrived yet before taking a bite. She smiles in satisfaction as she chews as she keeps the note Dahyun attached in her notebook carefully. She looks to her right and her smile falters when she sees an unamused Momo looking at her.

“Oh hey,” Sana says slowly, not knowing what to say, “I didn’t see you there.”

“Of course, you didn’t.” Momo drawls sarcastically. “You were too busy flirting with the track's third-star runner.” Momo slams her apron at the table to emphasize her unhappiness. This makes Sana sigh.

“I wasn’t flirting with her. Dahyun just gave me food.” She smiles wistfully. Momo rolls her eyes. “You want some? It’s chicken.” Sana offers a stick of chicken.

“No thanks.” Momo grunts. That gets Sana’s attention.

“Look, why are you so upset?” Tired of the slightly older girl’s demeanor, she asks with a frown. “Are you upset about Dahyun giving me something?”

“No. You, of all people, should know why I’m upset.” Sana mulls over the things that Momo could be upset with. After a few ideas, she sighs.

“Nayeon.” She groans, pinching her nose in frustration. “I told you you’ve gotta sort things out with her! Stop moping and start talking.”

“As if.” Momo scoffs. “Why don’t you do it? She seemed to want to talk to you more than with me.”

“What are you trying to say?” Sana narrows her eyes. “Is this why you’re upset with me? You’re her best friend. That’s stupid, of course, she’ll want to talk to you.”

“Oh yeah? Then tell me, why are you both in the garden instead of eating at the cafeteria? What were you talking about? Surely as her best friend, I have the right to know?” Sana’s defenses are suddenly up the ceiling. Revealing the real reason why they skipped lunch isn’t the wisest decision, and the gears of her head start turning.

“The same right Nayeon has to know your little secret?” She squeaks without thinking, and Momo hesitates. Knowing she hit a spot, she sighs again. “Look, that’s why I’ve been telling you to sort things out. You’re clearly hiding something from her, yet you act as if she’s solely at fault.

“Besides, to tell you the truth, I don’t even get why you’re hiding this from her? Or are you not sure about it at all?” Their classroom door opens, and t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter