Chase

Visible to you
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wendy: Let’s meet earlier instead? If it’s possible, let’s meet now. Sorry for the inconvenience, sunbae.

Yoona taps her foot impatiently as she waits for the receptionist who was checking for their reservation. They were supposed to have dinner since Seungwan said she still had papers to finish, but apparently, the latter changed her mind. Luckily for her, Yoona didn’t have anything to do in the afternoon. Siwon is accompanying Chaeyoung at home. Her sister doesn’t reach home until the evening because of her Theatre club.

Yoona thinks about Chaeyoung, and she mulls over whether she tells the eldest Son what happened with the cub or not. But first, she thinks, she should get the answers from her

The receptionist comes back with a smile, and simply nods to Yoona before leading her inside the establishment.

“Miss Son is already in, Miss Im. She’s on the VIP room # 3, just straight ahead.” Yoona nods in thanks before heading in. She didn’t expect the young CEO to be early since she received her text just a few good minutes ago. Maybe Seungwan suddenly has something urgent for her. And the younger girl booking a private room in a high-class resto means something’s up.

And Yoona’s supposed to be the one with something urgent from Seungwan.                                                                                              

She reaches the private room with the door open, so she peeks in to see Seungwan sitting patiently on one of the chairs. The eldest Son was still in her corporate outfit, with a white button-up blouse and a black pencil skirt reaching up to her things. The only odd thing about it is that she was wearing a jacket with sleeves longer than her arms rather than her crisp, dark blazer that fits her perfectly. 

Weird.

“Ah, you’re here, sunbae. Please close the door and have a seat.” Seungwan smiles when she sees the older girl peeking by the door. The latter complies, closing the door gently behind her before slipping into her seat across the CEO. They then call for the waiter to have their orders placed. They simply remain silent even until their food is served, not knowing what to expect from each other.

“I’m truly sorry for having this meeting pushed earlier than agreed upon, sunbae.” Seungwan breaks the silence after finishing her meal. “I just had an unfortunate circumstance in the office a while ago, so things were pushed back, and it might be better if we meet earlier.” 

“It’s okay, Wannie, and please, stop being formal with me. I don’t want to talk with CEO Son right now.” A chuckle escapes Yoona’s lips and Seungwan visibly relaxes. “Please pass me the water jug, Wan.”

Seungwan complies with a smile. She quickly reaches for the jug, causing her jacket sleeves to slip. Yoona stares at the bandages and bruises littered around the visible part of the younger girl’s arms. The latter sees her staring and quickly hides it with her jacket after putting the jug down.

“Well, you see,” Seungwan fiddles with her fingers, not looking at Yoona who was staring at her in question. “I–in the company–we ran out of charms.”

“A ghost attacked you in the office?”

“No. Berserker.” With that, the atmosphere goes solemn. Yoona bites back a gasp.

“What about him now? And Joohyun?”

“He’s…disposed of, and Joohyun’s safe in the company quarters.” Seungwan chuckles humorlessly “The bastard thinks he can get to us just because of the building’s lack of protection.”

“And how about Jeongyeon? She’s living alone at your house?”

“I told her to go straight to the company quarters since he found us, and the charms protecting the house can only do much.”  Seungwan slumps in her chair, an exasperated sigh coming from her lips.

It was apparent to Yoona how Seungwan was affected by the whole ordeal with her sister Chaeyoung; the young CEO lost so much weight in just a week, there were big eyebags beneath her eyes. Her smiles aren’t as genuine as they were before. For everybody who knew the sisters, Jeongyeon and Seungwan were called “living memes” by their very own Chaeyoung. Still, now all Yoona can see is a mask of pretension covering Seungwan’s sad and exhausted demeanor.

Maybe, Yoona thinks, telling her about Chaeyoung now wouldn’t be a good idea. And her original purpose for meeting the CEO can be just for another day. 

“I’ll send in the charms as soon as I reach home today,” Yoona tells her. “I’ll add some healing charms too, as a bonus. You need it.” At that, Seungwan smiles. Not the big, flashy one, but a smile that is enough to convey how grateful she is for the eldest Im and her help.

“Thank you so much.” She fills both of their glasses with wine. “Now, why did you call for me, anyway?” Yoona panics slightly.

“Oh, t-that?” She stutters. “We can always talk about it next ti–”

“Nonsense. We can talk about it, whatever it is.” Seungwan waves her off. When she senses no response from the hesitant Yoona, she sighs. “I’ll tell you something, but keep it between us okay?”

A nod from Yoona and Seungwan leans closer.

“The berserker guy, his name was Henry. He called me the seer.” Yoona widens her eyes in surprise. “Was that what you wanted to ask?”

The older girl remains speechless, wide eyes still focused on Seungwan. The younger girl was on point; she did want to ask that. It was the one thing she wanted to talk about with her. So, she decides to talk anyway with a sigh since Seungwan had already caught on.

“Nayeon.” She slowly says. “You gave me the blades. Did you know that…that it was her?”

“Maybe.” Seungwan simply answers, and she chuckles when she sees Yoona’s eyebrows furrow. “There are things you should know by yourself, sunbae, you tell us this.” Seungwan’s face turns serious after. She looks at the private room door before taking out a piece of paper and whispering to it.

A soundproof charm. From Yoona herself. 

“Now that’s better.” The charm disappears from her hand. “Well, I think it’s time to tell you the real reason why we left our dad ten years ago.”

There was one day in her middle school years in Korea that Sana will never, ever forget.

Even after her first day where her new friends defended her from bullies, the attacks didn’t stop there. Still, there would be a few people who would make fun of her. She’s learned to ignore it over the weeks she’s in school, focusing her attention on her academics and her newfound friends instead.

Jeongyeon was in her class, so she’s a constant companion. During lunch, Jihyo, Momo, and Nayeon would sit with them. They were lovely people, Sana thinks, and for a moment she forgets about her bullies and her family tragedy. Maybe living in Seoul isn’t such a bad idea.

There would always be hardships in every relief, however.

It was mid-August when Sana found herself crumpling on the floor in pain in one dark alley near their school, surrounded by her delinquent classmates. Few of them were suspended; they were the ones who bullied her a few weeks ago on her first day. Jeongyeon was beside her, almost unconscious from taking all the hits for Sana. 

“You think you can save this ? Think again!” A kick on the abdomen and Sana twists in pain for Jeongyeon, holding her cries out. The short hair simply smiles, a taunting laugh escaping afterward.

Sana wanted Jeongyeon to stop acting like she’s okay. She doesn’t want to see the short-haired girl hurt like that. 

“You dare laugh at us, Yoo?! You’re at the disadvantage!” Another kick, but instead of landing on Jeongyeon, lands on Sana’s face, trying to block any more attacks to Jeongyeon.

A whimper from Sana and Yoo Jeongyeon snaps.

It was pretty bloody, from what Sana can remember. Jeongyeon blindly punches and kicks 10 people, hitting anything out of rage. Sana remains rooted on the ground, fear evident on her swollen face.

She was a medium, a supposed strong heir for goodness sake! But here she is, cowering in a corner while watching a precious friend fight to the death for her.

“Stop it!” She exclaims. It was obvious who would win in this alley cat-fight. Despite the pain, however, a smile spreads on Jeongyeon’s blown face directed in Sana's direction. She was kneeling, taunting faces surrounding her as punches hit her like she’s a big sack of rice.

‘Don’t worry about me.’ Sana sees the slightly older girl's mouth, and she cries. Even when she was knocked down, her eyes closed, Jeongyeon still had that silly smile on her face, a smile that Sana knew she would never forget.

It was the same smile she fell in love with.

“Now that we’re finished with this nuisance that is Yoo, let’s head to the best part.” The bullies look at Sana with the wrong anticipation on their faces and Sana cowers more. With an honor code the spiritists have, she cannot just attack people however she wants, so she simply closes her eyes in anticipation for the worse.

Before anybody could move, however, a chilling voice interrupts them.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

It was a blur after that, with all the fighting and blood around. But she remembers how she simply sat beside an unconscious Jeongyeon, both now leaning on the wall, her Nayeon-sunbae fighting effortlessly with 10 bullies, not even a scratch on her. But, she’s pretty sure that the bullying stopped after that day.

Sana felt so many things that day. On that day, she knew she started liking Jeongyeon. The ostrich was being stupid, she knows, but she can’t help but be touch by the gesture. Jeongyeon has always been protective of her. Mix it with goofy smiles and stupid pranks, along with her sense of responsibility and great outlook in life, Sana knows she’s fallen for her.

But the other thing that she’d never forget is Nayeon. For all the years that they would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter