005

fire and water
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

byulyi placed a cupcake on yongsun’s desk, the older woman looked up and took her earphones out. 

 

eyeing the sugary treat on her desk, yongsun asked, “what’s that for?”

 

“for you. you barely had anything this morning and it’s almost lunch.” 

 

“i don’t take sugary food.” 

 

byulyi shrugged, “i’ll take it then,” byulyi grabbed the cupcake and shoved it into .

 

yongsun shook her head and put her earphones in again. 

 

only to have byulyi take them out.

 

“we didn’t go over the information we have for the case this morning. how about we go over them while having lunch?” byulyi put her hands up in mock surrender when yongsun wanted to protest, “it’s strictly professional. i’ll keep my mouth shut and speak only when i have useful information. i won’t bother you, i just want to have lunch.” 

 

yongsun was listening closely, as she always does when someone is speaking, and she could’ve sworn that if she listened more closely, she could’ve heard byulyi say with you. 

 

shaking those thoughts away, yongsun sighed, figured that byulyi wouldn’t let it go if she didn’t have lunch with her. 

 

so she agreed. 

 

fifteen minutes later they were seated opposite each other in a diner, with byulyi munching away on her fries while yongsun played around with her salad.

 

she always ordered salads but never really liked them anyway. 

 

“do you want some of my fries?” byulyi asked, and it spooked yongsun because it was as if the younger woman knew what she was thinking about.

 

“no, i’m good with my salad.” 

 

“you barely ate it.” byulyi pushed her plate towards yongsun, “here, have mine. and i’ll have yours.” 

 

yongsun was surprised, but genuinely appreciates byulyi’s offer.

 

it’s been ages since yongsun had fries, or junk food, really. the crispy texture of the fries and the fried chicken was a divine combination to yongsun. 

 

“mmm.” a moan escaped yongsun’s mouth and byulyi shot her a look.

 

“you sound like you never had these.” byulyi chuckled.

 

“sorry.” yongsun wiped the corner of , a little embarrassed. “it’s just, um, my last foster mom, she was a control freak, a vegan. she won’t let me eat any of these because apparently it’s toxic and i can’t ever have eggs because she said and i quote, ‘the cholesterol will get me before the police does.’” yongsun scoffed, “apparently to her it is illegal to consume anything that was once alive or casts a shadow.” 

 

byulyi frowned, no one should ever have a childhood like this where they weren’t allowed to have junk food or sweets or milkshakes.

 

“well, your foster mom.” byulyi grabbed the menu by the corner of their table, “today we are ordering all kinds of milkshakes and fries and eggs this diner has to offer.”

 

yongsun laughed at byulyi's offer, her eyes widened when byulyi was serious about ordering every single type of milkshake,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter