Ashleigh - The Dance

Unintentional Love Story

Did I ever think of a stage fright? Nope. Never did I think of it. I felt my legs turn weak and wobbly, my hands cold and clammy by my side. The judges positioned in the centre of the auditorium, their faces blank but watching us closely. As a form of respect, we bowed solemnly to the audiences and moved to our positions. While I stood to the back of the triangle formation, our backs to the audiences, I could see Haley, who was on the other side of the triangle formation. She nodded at someone from backstage, whom I couldn't see except a dark blurry figure. It was the cue to start the music. 

Everything passed in a blur. I was hardly aware of what I was doing. My limbs were moving, I could feel them. They were almost numb with cold from the nervousness. Kayla stumbled, Julia was a beat off-too fast, Chloe seemed to have forgotten some of her moves. Haley and me were the only ones doing fine. 

It finally ended. We stood there, awaiting the panel's comments and criticisms. The judges were engaged in a small discussion in which they had their heads bowed together, whispering.

Then, at long last. A judge raised a hand, and spoke with a smile, "you gave us a good first impression at first as things went smoothly. However, there seems to be some quite obvious mistakes. Nevertheless, you girls managed to recover quickly and carry on with the performance. For that, I applaud you." He smiled and nodded, before adding on, "in conclusion, you girls were impressive! Your courage was exemplary." 

With that, we smiled. The cheers erupted a moment later.