The reality II

A Dream Or Not A Dream

 

I was pretty chocked when I saw them walking side to side, because they are never together. They aren’t even friends. I immediately stopped in my track but unfortunately they heard my footsteps and turned their heads towards me. When they saw me, Kai just smirked while Suyeon had a chocked expression as well, just that hers was mixed with fear.

“Hyoneul…Hi.” She weakly smiled and walked closer.

“I gotta go, bye.” Said Kai and walked past us. Suyeon just nodded and looked at me again.

“Sorry for not answering to your message, but my…my battery died. Yeah, I forgot to charge it.” She jokingly face palmed herself but of course I didn’t believe her. I have known her for years and I know when she is lying. “Is there anything you wanted?”

I didn’t answer her question but glanced back just to meet eyes with Kai’s. He walked backwards for a reason and just smiled before turning around again and disappearing from my sight. Weird…I looked back at Suyeon. “Not really.”

It just didn’t feel right to bring up the whole Kai thing because she was just with him and if I start talking about him, I’ll look like a jealous , so I lied. The bell rang, which means second period starts.

We walked silently to our lockers to take our book for the next class.
“Listen..” said Suyeon out of nowhere. “I had the same class as Kai, so don’t misunderstand the whole situation.” She didn’t make eye contact with me.  

Suyeon felt guilty. That’s for sure.
“What? No, that’s okay.” I said casually.

“Really?”

“Yeah, I didn’t even think of that.” I lied again. Suyeon just nodded and we headed to our respective classes.


 

***



It was lunch time. And after I left my books I headed with my classmate Sehun to the cafeteria. As we were waiting in the row, I scanned trough the cafeteria, searching for an empty table. Suddenly my eyes caught something they didn’t like, again. Suyeon was sitting with Kai at the same table. Alone. I could suddenly feel the jealousy inside of me burning again. This can’t be true.  Why is Suyeon with Kai alone all the time, all of the sudden? Isn’t that something she can’t do since she knows that I like him? Isn’t that a rule in the girl’s codex?

At that moment I was really angry and hurt at the same time, so I decided to ignore them and pretend not to see them. Sehun and I took our plates and I chose a table far away from Kai’s and Suyeon’s.

During our lunch, I saw Suyeon and Kai leave the cafeteria, and somehow it didn’t feel right not to have them within my sight. I sighed and went back to talking to Sehun. After a couple of minutes my phone vibrated, informing me that I received a message.

 

From Suyeon
Let’s meet after school.



My no battery left. I rolled with my eyes and couldn’t hold my feelings any longer so I texted back, asking her if she hasn’t something with Kai to do instead. Within a minute, I got a reply from her.


From Suyeon
Just come…



I answered with a simple okay and finished my meal before next period.

 


***


There is a really old and abandoned playground behind our school, where no one goes to. Our school was a preschool before it turned to a high school so that’s why the playground is there in the first place.

Although no one is there, Suyeon and I think that, that is a pretty cool place to be there and just hang out so we usually do that when we don’t have home work. I was now on the way to the playground because whenever we plan on meeting after school, it’s always at the playground.

As I assumed, Suyeon was sitting on one of the swings with her head down. Her back was facing me so she didn’t saw me coming. I walked up to her and took a seat on the swing beside her.

“Sup.” I said casually.

Suyeon looked up and smiled widely at me. “Hi Hyoneul. Thanks for coming.”

“No biggie.” I said and started swinging.

“So.. What have you done today?” she tried to start a conversation.

“The usual. I handed in my project and now I have two papers left.” I answered and didn’t care to ask her the same question.

“Oh that’s nice.” She said and we continued swinging silently.
“Hey, is something wrong?” Suyeon asked after a couple of minutes. “It feels like you’re ignoring me the whole day.”

“No. Why would I?” I acted clueless.

“I don’t know. It’s just that…that you are avoiding me somehow.” She said gently.

“Well, I don’t.” I smiled weakly at her.

“Oh okay.” She smiled back and tried to lighten up the situation. “Guess who asked me to be his prom date?!” she asked excitedly.

“I don’t know. Who asked you?” I was really unsure if I even wanted to now.  

“I said guess!” Is this girl kidding with me?

“I don’t know, just say it!” I started to get irritated.

“You really don’t know who?” she made a sad face. “Just say a name.”

“Oh my god Suyeon, I don’t know. Kai?!” I couldn’t hold it in anymore. It was now or never. Suyeon is my best friend and I feel bad for not telling her what happened. But she should use her brain too sometimes.

As I shouted Kai’s name out, she froze in her spot. She was chocked and disappointed, and so was I.

“What? NO!” she shouted. “That is crazy. Why would he, Hyoneul?!”

“Well you are with him all the time all of the sudden. So why not?!” I shouted back.

“Because I wanted to ask you to be my prom date.” I heard a familiar voice behind me.

Although I did recognize the voice, I didn’t want to believe that it was him. I looked at Suyeon and she literally face palmed herself.

“I guess our plan worked Suyeon.” Said Kai as he approached the swing.

“Yeah.” She agreed and turned to you. “It was Lay, Hyoneul. Lay asked me to be his prom date. And the reason why I was with Kai was because I helped him to ask you out. But apparently you’ve misunderstood everything.” She sighed.

I felt so dumb and naïve. I blushed as mad from my stupid behaviour and thoughts. My biggest wish right now was to sink into the ground and disappear forever. “I’m sorry” was all I managed to spit out.

Kai chuckled and so did Suyeon. “It’s okay.” She said and walked closer to me to hug me. “I have to go now and meet Lay to talk about the prom night. I’ll see you guys tomorrow. Bye” and with that, she walked away.

“So...” Kai interrupted the silence. “Are you interested in being my prom date?” he rubbed his neck.

I forced myself not to scream out of happiness and just stayed calm. “Ehm, I guess..”

“You guess?” he raised his eyebrows.

“Okay, okay. Yes, I am interested in being your prom date.”

 


***
 

 

“I will go out and get some fresh air!” I shouted to Suyeon who was dancing like crazy. She just nodded and I headed out from the hall.

This was one of the best nights in my life. I was done with school and the night that everyone was waiting for is here. My prom partner Kai, is as always the most gorgeous creature in the world. He was really nice to me during the whole night, and at our first dance, I couldn’t stop looking at his beautiful eyes. But, he too, couldn’t break the eye contact we had. I wonder what he really thinks about me.

I was sitting at the stairs in front of the building and slowly taking in everything that happened tonight. Is this my dream that came true?

“Why are you sitting here alone?”

I turned around and saw Kai approaching me. I smiled at him and turned my gaze towards the stars. Kai sat down beside me with his arms resting on his knees.

“I don’t know. Getting some fresh air and thinking about stuff.” I answered.

“What stuff?” he grew curious.

“Nothing special.”  Well of course it was, but I really don’t think I can do this. Confess to him.

“Okay.” He smiled and I could feel him looking at me. I turned my head to his side and our eyes met. “You’re beautiful tonight.” He said with his eyes shifting from my eyes to my mouth and back. “As always.”

My heart didn’t skip a beat, but stopped beating at all. I looked away because I couldn’t look at his eyes anymore. Actually, there were still some things that I didn’t understand.

“Kai?”

“Mhm?”

“Why did you ask about Suyeon all the time if she just helped you? You asked if she had a boyfriend or where she was.” I looked back at him to see his expression, but he just smirked.

“Because that was a part of my plan too.”

“A part of your plan?”

“I wanted to make sure if you get jealous, silly. In that way I know if you like me or not.” He said that and somehow I could feel his face coming closer to mine.

“So?” I didn’t dare to move an inch so I just stayed still and looked at him.

“I like you too.” And with that, he closed the space between us by connecting our lips. He placed his hands on my cheeks and slowly kissed me. I couldn’t stay still the whole time so I gladly moved my lips in sync with his. The butterflies inside of me exploded and I was on the ninth cloud.

This kiss, I have dreamed about it thousand of times. This boy, is the boy that I have liked for years. This confession, is something I never expected. We broke the kiss, and he looked at my eyes while smiling widely.

“Want to go inside?”


One thing is for sure, this is not a dream. But a dream-like reality.