Chapter Five

I Left My Heart in BGC

What are the odds? Now, I’m back here in his apartment because of a freakin’ storm. And the bus station that has the only route to my province ceased their operation today of all days. What does it want to tell? Ugh. Anyway, I don’t have a choice. Well, I do have, I guess. But I’m still thankful he’s doing this to help me.

 

It took me almost half an hour on the bathroom, as usual. And as I got out, I saw him on the kitchen, his back facing me. Hes still cooking, I guess. I watched him for awhile and my mind wandered again why I have liked this guy. I was unconsciously smiling to myself without realizing hes already looking at me and calling out to me.

 

Clara, are you okay? You zone out a lot today, you know.

 

Oh, shoot. Sorry, was really off. I dont know I—“ I looked on the ground and pretended that I was busy even though he already caught me off guard.

 

Are you sure?He suddenly smirked and sounded like hes teasing, which made me look at him.

 

Yeah. What…”

 

Ok, no biggie. Just let me know if you have something you need.

 

Thanks. And Im sorry for the, uh, for this.

 

No big deal, Clara. Im glad we can spend time like this.

 

“…”

 

He chuckled. Ill get the food ready. Its almost cooked.

 

———————

 

Once we were done eating and washing the dishes, I sat on the couch and turn on the TV to watch some news. But the lights suddenly started flickering, then it went okay. Before it totally out.

 

Oh, my gosh. Jake, where are you?I suddenly exclaimed. I rummage on the couch trying to look for my phone as if I left it there.

 

I suddenly heard a soft thud and stood up, looking like I can clearly see what it was.

 

Are you okay? What happened, Jake?I asked.

 

Im fine. I got, uh—“ he suddenly opened the flashlight and approached me. I bumped on the edge of the chair. Aw.He sat on the couch and examined the side of his thigh. I sat beside him and looked as well.

 

Are you okay? Where are your candles?

 

Im fine. Ill go look for it. Stay here for a minute.

 

Okay.

 

He went back to the kitchen, and then a moment later, he came back with a lit candle. He placed it on the table in front of us and sat on the couch again.

 

Do you think the lights will come back later?I asked him, as if he knows. I felt him shrugged.

 

Im not sure.

 

Then it was silent. But he broke it after some minutes.

 

By the way, Ive already arranged your bed. If you, uhm, want to sleep already. I know its been a long day.

 

What about you? Where are you gonna sleep?

 

Ill sleep here on the couch.

 

Eh? I mean, uhm. Can you, uh, just sleep in the room? I mean, not on the bed, but in the room…”

 

He chuckled and teased. Are you scared?

 

Itsits not like that.I stammer.

 

Fine, fine. Ill sleep there, okay? Do you want to…”

 

To what?

 

Go to sleep already? I mean…”

 

I just nodded, and then stood up and went inside. He followed.

 

I helped him with the quilt on the floor and after that, I climbed up to the bed and lied down, my face facing and staring at the ceiling.

 

Sorry.I suddenly said.

 

Sorry? For what?

 

For today, and for this.

 

Its nothing.

 

It was silence again between us. I thought he already went to sleep, but then he suddenly spoke.

 

But did you really think of me like that? And that I was gay?

 

Clara? You already asleep?

 

I didnt answer him and pretended I was already sleeping.

 

Alright. Goodnight.

 

Honestly, I really did. Well, the gay part was kinda not true at all but at times I thought he was. I didnt know why that even crossed my mind. Maybe because of the thought that I felt like hes avoiding me and doesnt want to befriend me at all. Maybe because of my annoyance that he wouldnt talk to me like were friends, or he wouldnt talk to me like how he used to talk with our coworkers. Maybe because of jealousy thats why I thought of him like that. Ugh, that was kinda stupid. I just wanted my actions to be reciprocated, but it wasnt. Thinking these thoughts, I didnt notice that eventually I fell asleep.

——————

 

It was cold, but it was still dark so I thought it was still night. I hugged the pillow in front of me and covered myself with the blanket. But something felt really weird. Why was the pillow so big and quite not fluffy? But it wasnt a big deal to me at that time because I still felt sleepy and a bit unconscious.

 

But as soon as it hit me, I tried to feel it again and it felt really weird. Until I opened my eyes and rubbed it to see what it was. At first I thought it was someone from my cousins or relatives but then I realized I wasnt at home yet. My eyes widened when I realized it was Jake all along. I suddenly straightened up and tried to move to the other side of the bed away from him, but instead I fell on the floor with my back first causing a thud sound which made him woke up.