Chapter 3 - School: Jessica

Length of Happiness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon told Sunny to keep her notebook, and she did not need it. Instead, she just asked what they studied so far, and for whatever reason the materials instantly clicked with her.

 However, after the confrontation with Jessica earlier, Sunny seemed to be awfully quiet. Taeyeon, with her head on the table, stared at her for a good 5 minutes and Sunny did not even react, but had a downhearted expression looking down on her lap.

What’s wrong with her? After some thought, Taeyeon gave up and took the time to catch up on some sleep. She was partly thankful for the exam tomorrow and the review period today.

A 50 MINUTE LUNCH? I rather leave 50 minutes earlier.  Taeyeon checked her timetable after the class was over. I wonder where Yoona is.

She walked over to the cafeteria and ordered her food. As soon as she sat down, she found­­­­­­­ Sunny’s face looking down standing in front of her table.

“Can…I…sit here?” She asked Taeyeon nervously. It seemed that Sunny had been acting nervous ever since Jessica brought up her name earlier.

Ah. Jessica must have been picking on her before. If I sit with her, it’s just going to attract more attention. Taeyeon glanced at her, realizing she had already ruined her initial plan of not getting involved with anyone or anything. Aish. This is harder than I thought.

“No.” She replied simply after some thought with an unreadable expression. It’s not that she disliked Sunny, she was just used to being alone. There was too many uncertainties in her mind for her to worry about when it comes to meeting new people. Uncertainties about their reactions, giving a good first impression and if they could understand each other and communicate easily.

Sunny bowed her head lower and walked to an empty table not far from her. Taeyeon sighed but resumed eating.

She scanned the cafeteria and looked for Yoona. After scanning the cafeteria for her sister, she decided to text using her sister’s old phone:

[Tae] I am at the cafeteria; do you have lunch?

[Yoona] Nope, we, gifted students, don’t have lunch until next period. Lucky you.

[Tae] Oh, right. You are gifted. Show off.

[Yoona] I wouldn’t be showing off if you worked hard and join me. Your fault for missing deadlines and slept in bed all day. How’s your first day? I heard you were late.

[Tae] Annoying, but fun.

[Yoona] Annoying and fun in the same sentence, what happened?

Should I ask her about Jessica?  Taeyeon wondered but decided against it. She didn’t want her sister to get involved, or her parents will surely kill her if anything happens to Yoona.

[Tae] I already have an exam tomorrow.

[Yoona] What?! How? Why? Didn’t you just start class today??? And I thought that was only a thing for gifted students.

[Tae] Calm down, I don’t mind it actually.

[Yoona] Ahhh, I don’t know where you get your confidence from. I worked my off to get into the gifted program. Sometimes, I really wish I could be as carefree as you.

[Tae] Of course, they want everything good for you. I am only carefree because I am adopted. 

On the other end, Yoona frowned at her sister’s reply, but she knew her sister really didn’t mind. They understood each other. However, she can feel Taeyeon is holding something in that she is not sure of.

[Tae] Ooo, you are texting in class. I am going to tell mom >:]. Gifted student texting in class, huh?

[Yoona] ARE YOU THREATENING ME? I AM ONLY REPLYING BECAUSE IT’S YOU, YOU MIDGET!!! JUST WAIT UNTIL WE GET HOME!

[Tae] Alright, I am late. I will ttyl or else I am going to get punished.

[Yoona] Late? Punished? You are having lunch.

[Tae] My tummy is going to punish me. Instead of feeding it, I am texting my gifted sister.

[Yoona] Bye. Go make some friends.

Taeyeon snickered teasingly. Then her phone was snatched away abruptly from her hand.

Jessica. And of course, her evil side kicks standing closely behind her.

“Let’s see who you were texting that made you so happy.” Jessica scrolled through her message with Yoona. “You are Yoona’s sister?” Sounding rather annoyed while her eyes scanned Taeyeon in disbelief, then continued reading. “Ah. Of course! You are adopted.” Her face brightening up again at the info.

Jessica went to the same middle school as Yoona. Interestingly, she looked up to Yoona because she was the smartest kid in their class. She was unpleasantly surprised that Taeyeon was her sister, who didn’t look pretty and appeared nowhere near as smart as her sister.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. She reached her hand out for Jessica to hand her phone back.

“I will be keeping your phone for a while; I have always wanted to talk to Yoona. Maybe your gifted sister can help me study.” Jessica said teasingly. The truth was that she doesn’t need Yoona’s help. Jessica is already the rank 1 student in the class, the entire grade even. She was well on her way to the gifted program next semester. The only reason she didn’t start in the gifted program like Yoona did was because she slept past the preliminary exam.

She playfully tossed Taeyeon’s phone in her hand purposefully trying to make her anxious, and then moved towards Sunny’s direction. Normally, the student would let Jessica have her way with whatever she took due to fear of retaliation. However, Taeyeon thought of a brilliant idea, or so she thought.

While no one was looking, she grabbed a handful of onions from her salad and squeezed it in her hands. Then she got up and approached Jessica, yet again feeling some curious eyes not far from her.

Ahh, why are you all staring? You want to watch a show? Amused by the students, she rubbed her eyes with her onion hands. She was bored anyways, anything that make the school day go faster would do.

Suddenly, eyes b with tears, Taeyeon starts to fake a sob and tugged at Jessica’s neatly worn uniform. Now nearly all of the cafeteria is looking at them wondering what is going to happen next. Some of them were glad they weren’t in Taeyeon’s spot, some ignored what’s going on, and others were entertained, expecting a good show.

Jessica furrowed her brow. She couldn’t figure out what Taeyeon was trying to do, so she tore herself away from the latter’s grip and glared at her. “Get the hell off of me!!!” She hissed, trying to wipe off the grease from Taeyeon’s hands off of her uniform. “Are you crazy?”

“Jessica unnie please give me back my phone! Please, it was a gift from my sister!!” Taeyeon pretended to cry nonstop, when in fact, her eyes were irritated by the onion. It was harder to control than she thought. Jesus Christ! I can’t even tell which hand she has my phone in at this rate…

“Wha…? Oh my! Crying already!?” Yuri stifled a chuckle.

Jessica was perplexed. No one had ever cried this early on in their encounters before. How could this girl just come up and cry so…shamelessly? However, seeing the tears in Taeyeon’s eyes, she smiled thinking she had finally broke Taeyeon from her arrogant behaviour. Maybe Taeyeon is just weak and desperate.

Jessica gestured with Taeyeon’s phone in her hand and moved toward her.

Taeyeon’s cheeks were covered by the streaks of tears, and her heart pounded worrying about what’s going to happen next. When Jessica got close enough, she jerked her head to look behind Jessica. Her face portrayed a look of happiness and relief as she forced a smile through her forced tears. “MR. LIM!!!”

It wasn’t a great diversion. Jessica usually would have not been fooled had anyone else tried it. After all, everyone was too afraid to even think of such thing. But as Taeyeon was in tears and she had no reason to suspect her of trickery, Jessica believed her.

Jessica whipped her head around to look. And almost instantly, her face turned to a look full of betrayal when she notic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter