Chapter 2

Dancing In The Rain

Year 2014...

 

Mina and Sana are both from Japan but they transferred to Korea once they're about to start their College life. They are enrolled and about to take their Architectural classes on Seoul National University. It's one of the most popular and one of the top University in Korea. 

 

 

They already started their first semester as a first year Architectural student in Japan but when Sana's parents had to move to Korea because of their new built company, Sana had no choice but to follow her parents. So Mina decided to come with Sana, because she just know that her friend would want it to. And she really wanted to go to Korea ever since, she just got lucky that her parents allowed her after so many times of trying to pursue them to agree.

 

 

Since they are new to Korea and to the University, they also transferred during second semester so everyone already knew each other besides them. The both of them were really foreign when the class started but after just how many days, they already knew almost everyone. Everyone was just so friendly and Mina really had to thank Sana for being the extrovert that she is.

 

 

But besides that, they also knew one friend whose studying at SNU. It's Momo, their friend who's also from Japan, she already lived in Korea during the start of college and she's taking up dance major. Momo also served as their tour guide since the start of their University days so Mina and Sana didn't have to worry that much.

 

 

Now, both of them are at the cafeteria and waiting for Momo because she said that she likes to have lunch together with them. And that she's gonna introduce to them her friends and Sana agreed quickly to that. Mina is not that fond of meeting new people but what can she do? When she's surrounded by these friendly people.

 

 

"Are we really gonna wait for Momo? God, I'm so hungry" Mina asked Sana, her forehead already creased because of too much hunger.

 

 

"Gosh Mina, just order food if you're already that hungry. I'll wait for Momo and her friends"

 

 

"Jeez, you should've tell that earlier" Mina rolled her eyes as she quickly stood up to get her food.

 

 

Sana shook her head as she looked at Mina whining. "This girl and her attitude, really" 

 

 

When Mina came back to their seat, Momo is already there together with two other girls. She placed her food tray on the table before sitting again beside Sana. 

 

 

"Oh, she's finally back" Sana said as she smiled and pointed at Mina. "This is Mina, my friend. And Mina, they are Jihyo and Tzuyu, Momo's friend" 

 

 

"Yes, they're my friends but of course Sana had to introduce them" Momo made a mocking face that caused them to laugh. 

 

 

"Hi, Mina.. I'm Jihyo, a business management student. Momo is my seat mate on our English class so we kinda got close" she handed out her hand and Mina shake hands with her. 

 

 

"I'm Tzuyu, taking up Fashion and Design. Jihyo unnie is my cousin I just always tag along with the both of them since I don't have a lot of friends" Tzuyu smiled sheepishly as they also shake hands. 

 

 

"Okay so now that introductions are finally over, can we now buy our food please? I'm dead hungry!" Sana tapped Mina's shoulder before she followed the three. "Can you at least please wait for us before you eat? Or maybe.. slow down eating? Just to be polite Mina" 

 

 

Mina shrugged her shoulder so that Sana would remove her hands. "Whatever, Sana. Just hurry up" 

 

 

They were all chatting and Mina would just listen to them until she's done eating. Before they all get back to their respective classes, Jihyo invited them to her party.

 

 

"Are you guys free this Saturday?"

 

 

"Well.." Sana glanced at Mina and the latter just shrugged at her. Sana already knew that Mina is not interested but she's just so stubborn and likes to get on Mina's nerves. "I think yes. Why?"

 

 

"It's my birthday and I want to invite you guys at my party. At the Blacklist, you know where it is right?"

 

 

"Yes! I'm free, I'll go!" Momo even raised her hands.

 

 

"I don't think-"

 

 

"We will see to it that we can go, Jihyo. Don't worry" Sana held Mina's wrist to stop her from talking and that made her to receive a death glare.

 

 

It was Thursday afternoon and Mina is on her way back to the University  for their afternoon class after buying her needed materials. Since the store was just near, she decided to just walk. But heavy rain started to pour and Mina had no choice but to ran to the nearest shed that she saw. 

 

 

Luckily when she got there, there's just one person that is in the shed. Mina quickly get her handkerchief to wipe herself because she got really wet. She started to get annoyed by it, plus the paper bag from the store is almost torn. 

 

 

"Great timing! Really!" she murmured to herself. Mina couldn't call Sana to pick her up because she didn't brought her bag and her phone was there. 

 

 

"I'm gonna be late! Will this rain stop?" Mina peaked at the dark sky, clearly there's no sign for the rain to stop anytime soon. She had no choice but to wait and pray that Sana would even think about her and start looking for her. "If only I have an umbrella" 

 

 

After some time, Mina heard someone cleared its throat and she felt a cold metal brushed her arms. Mina quickly turned around only to see a girl who was with her at the shed, handing its umbrella to her. 

 

 

"I'm sorry, I should've offered it sooner" 

 

 

Mina widened her eyes and waved her hands, rejecting the girls offer. "Hey, no, it's okay. And I think you need that too" 

 

 

"It's okay, my friend is almost here" she grabbed Mina's hand and transferred the umbrella to her so Mina had no choice but to hold it. 

 

 

"Hey! Wait!" Mina shouted as the girl started to ran away, she could see how the girl was immediately soaked by the rain. "Oh my God! Did she think that I know she has an umbrella and that what I said was for her? Gosh, Mina!" 

 

 

Nonetheless, even if she was so embarrassed, she still used the umbrella to get back to the University. Mina was almost late if that kind stranger didn't let her borrow her umbrella. 

 

 

"I was so worried when it suddenly rained, I thought you're gonna be late!" Sana then eyed her umbrella. "But I guess.. you brought an umbrella. That's good for you since I know you don't like bringing it" 

 

 

"Uh.. yeah" she just awkwardly answered because Mina doesn't even know how to explain whatever happened to her at that shed. 

 

 

Now, she's thinking about how to give the umbrella back to the owner. She kinda still remember her face but of course, it was just dumb and rude of Mina to doesn't even ask for her name. All she know is she gotta give it back and say thank you. 

 

 

It was Saturday, and as usual, Sana won the argument again. So here they are right now, inside a noisy bar with flashing lights and alcohols everywhere. They were seated at a table Jihyo reserved for them and Tzuyu and Momo is also there. 

 

 

"Mina, drink more" Momo said as she offered a glass of hard alcohol. 

 

 

"No, thanks Momo. Sana is already drinking so I have to drive us both home" she then raised her glass to show it to Momo and smiled at her. "I'm fine with my cocktail" 

 

 

The three girls were already tipsy and kinda drunk while Mina stayed sobber. Sana and Tzuyu both stood up and Mina was concerned a little so she followed them with her eyes, only to see them went to the dance floor. When Jihyo visitied their table, it was just her and Momo who was left. 

 

 

"Hi girls! Are you enjoying the party?" 

 

 

"Hi, yes. Thanks again for inviting and happy birthday, Jihyo" Mina greeted and hugged her. 

 

 

"Happy birthday, my friend!" 

 

 

"Awe, thanks Mina and Momo" she smiled and sat beside Momo. "I'm really glad you came Mina since Sana said you're not into parties" 

 

 

Damn, Sana. Mina smiled awkwardly. "Well, kinda.. I just don't like crowded areas but it's fine" 

 

 

"Yeah, you should party sometimes Mina. Even in Japan, your life is sooo boring" Momo teased so Mina playfully kick her under the table. But that's just cause Momo to more. "You know what Jihyo, even her lovelife is boring" 

 

 

"Hey, Momo!" 

 

 

"Really??" Jihyo asked as if she can't believe it. "You're really pretty Mina and you don't have a boyfriend?" Mina shyly shook her head. "Oh, girlfriend then?" 

 

 

"What? No! I mean.." 

 

 

The two of them laughed at Mina and Momo slide to her the a glass of vodka. "Chill out, girl. It's okay, really" 

 

 

Out of embarrassment and panic, which Mina doesn't know why, she straight up drank the glass of vodka and she felt the hardness of it on . 

 

 

"Well, if you're interested I can meet you up with someone. You see, I have a lot of friends here from different courses" Jihyo suggested. 

 

 

"No, it's okay. I'm not interested, you know, studies first" 

 

 

"Hi! What did we miss?" Mina looked at Sana and Tzuyu who just came back from dancing. She sat beside Mina as she drank down another glass of beer. 

 

 

"Stop drinking already, I don't want to take care of a drunkard" she scolded her. 

 

 

"Relax, babe. I can handle myself. So... what are you guys talking about?" Sana stared at Jihyo and Momo. 

 

 

"We're setting up Mina with some.. you know, flings or what" Jihyo laughed. "There's from my course here Mina, and Momo's amd Tzuyu's and even Architectural students. Just pick!" 

 

 

"Or... Engineering students" Momo said as she looked somewhere, as if eyeing someone. 

 

 

"Well, I'll tell you this, Mina is not interested at all" Sana said as she laughed or teased, but whatever it is, Mina is slightly thankful because she just saved her. 

 

 

"Yeah.. and I don't like Engineering students" Mina shrugged. "I heard they're kinda.. flirt" 

 

 

"What?! No! I mean not everyone" Momo protested. "Look at that table, the blonde haired girl, she's and Engineering student and well, my crush" 

 

 

Mina lazily looked behind to where Momo is pointing at but it's not Momo's crush who caught her attention. It was someone else. Someone familiar. Mina watched as that girl walked out to a door and she also quickly stood up. 

 

 

"Hey, where are you going?" Sana asked. 

 

 

"Wait. I'll be back" 

 

 

Mina got her way through the crowd and stood by the door where she saw that girl just walked out. The sign said SMOKING AREA. Mina wanted to back out, she hated the smell of smoke. But, she had to confirm if it's really who she think she is. 

 

 

It was outside of the bar, at the back side where there's a dark alley with just one lamp post. Mina felt the cold breeze of the wind, she wanted to go back inside not until she saw the one she's looking for. Leaning on the wall, with a lit smoke on her right hand. 

 

 

"You know that smoking is bad for your health" Mina suddenly uttered as she also leaned beside the girl. She saw how she looked at her with confusion, as if not even sure if she's the one Mina is talking to. "Uh, I'm sorry that was too sudden. And I guess you don't even remember me" 

 

 

The girl puff out a smoke and Mina had to cover her nose. She looked at Mina again before stomping on her cigarette, which is just half way done. 

 

 

"I'm sorry, are you one of my flings?" 

 

 

"What?! I'm not!" Mina ran her hands through her hair. "Your umbrella is with me" 

 

 

The girl looked at her as if thinking, until she nodded her head. "Oh. You can have it. No problem" 

 

 

"I want to give it back to you" she insisted. "Uh, may I know your name?" 

 

 

"Chaeyoung" she shortly replied. "How should I call you?" 

 

 

"Get my number then" 

 

 

Chaeyoung flashed an amused smile because of her answer. And Mina suddenly realized it upon seeing her reaction. She just wanted to be swallowed by the ground at that moment. 

 

 

"Oh my God! I mean.. I'm Mina. Yeah, call me Mina" she paced back and forth, greatly embarrassed. "It's nice to meet you, Chaeyoung. I'll go now" 

 

 

Mina walked out so fast but stopped on her tracks when Chaeyoung called her again. 

 

 

"Hey, Mina" 

 

 

"Uh, yes?" she slowly turned around. Mina almost gulped hard when Chaeyoung walked up to her. 

 

 

"Can I have your number?" 

 

 

"Huh?!" she widened her eyes. "Why?" 

 

 

"My umbrella, right?" 

 

 

Mina was clenching her fist because this is too much of embarrassment for one night. 

 

 

"Oh. Yeah, your phone please" 

 

 

Mina quickly typed her number, she could feel her cheeks getting so hot. She was just thankful that it's dark there so Chaeyoung couldn't see how red she is. And when she thought that it wouldn't get any worser, Chaeyoung opened again. 

 

 

"And also.. so that I could call you" 

 

 

When Mina raised her head, s he was greeted by a smiling Chaeyoung. For the first time that night, she saw her smiled. And it made her heart doubled its beating. 

 

 

Damn it, Mina. I think I have a crush.