Chapter 3

Marrying a stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“We’re gonna meet with your soon to be wife tomorrow. Her dad has probably informed her about your engagement by now. Do not embarrass me and try to do something that I wouldn’t like or you know there will be consequences.” Jeongyeon hears her father say while he is busy cutting portions from his steak and eating like he didn’t just dropped a bomb on his own daughter.

 

She’s currently having dinner with her parents in her father’s luxurious four-story mansion. Their dining hall which only gets used once of twice a year is filled with tension as her father nonchalantly continues chewing on his food while her mom is just sitting there, waiting for everything to break.

 

“You can’t do this, Dad! I already have a girlfriend why can’t I marry her instead if you want me to get married? She’s also influential in her own right and I know that’s your criteria in finding someone suitable to carry your name. She can help our company-“

 

“My company. You still haven’t proven your worth to me child. And who is this girlfriend of yours? That Im Nayeon? She’s just a lowly model. She is working for me and earning from my company. Both of you are.”

 

“How did you know about her?” Jeongyeon asks, aghast.

 

“Do you think I’m stupid? I have to pay paparazzis left and right just for your little secret relationship with that petty model of yours to not ruin my company’s image! A Vice President power tripping over her employees and dating them? Won't you thank me for being nice to you and letting you have some fun? Now I want you to listen to me and be nice to the Myoui’s when we meet them tomorrow. If you do anything stupid you know I won’t only strip you of your inheritance but also make you and your little model’s life as miserable as it can be. You always have a choice, child.” Yoo Chang Joon stops chewing and looks at his daughter's face for the first time that night to make sure Jeongyeon knows who she's dealing with.

 

Jeongyeon just sits in front of her father, frozen. Her father has just put an end to her life by setting her up for another business acquisition. She knew it’s all about business when she hears the surname of the Myoui’s. They’re the Japanese owners of top hospitals in South Korea, Japan and USA. They also happen to own the largest import/export of pharmaceutical drugs in South Korea which her father probably wants to get his hands on too.

 

Jeongyeon thinks of Nayeon, of her smile, her laugh, everything that makes Nayeon happy and her heart aches at the thought of leaving Nayeon’s side to live miserably with a woman she doesn’t even know.

 

“You crying wouldn’t change my decision. You are going to marry the Myoui’s daughter and that’s final.” She hears her father but she’s feeling numb all over. She didn’t even realize that tears are falling from her eyes. Her mom silently holds her hand under the table, silently stopping her from doing anything that she might regret once her anger subsides.

 

“Can I leave now?” Jeongyeon angrily wipes her tears, avoiding looking at the disgusting man infront of her.

 

“You may. I’ll suggest for you to stay over tonight but I know you’ll have to break things off with that girlfriend of yours so I’ll let you go. We’re having lunch tomorrow at Signeul so you and the Myoui’s can get acquainted. We’ll start discussing about the possible business expansion and some of your wedding details. Remember you are being monitored until the day you say “I do”. Be punctual tomorrow.” 

----------xxx----------

When Jeongyeon arrives in front of Nayeon’s apartment door, she willed herself to smile and hide her pain before putting Nayeon’s door passcode to let herself inside her girlfriend’s apartment. 
 

She gets inside the model’s modern apartment full of pink and purple shades of color. Nayeon's favorite, her apartment is as bright as her.

 

Jeongyeon sees Nayeon peacefully sleeping on the sofa all wrapped up in a white fuzzy blanket. The older girl probably fell asleep while waiting for her, it’s almost eleven in the evening after all.

 

Jeongyeon slowly makes her way towards Nayeon and bends down to cast a small kiss on her forehead which made the latter groggily open her eyes to welcome Jeongyeon in a longing but sleepy embrace.

 

Jeongyeon almosts cracks the facade she’s been trying to hold up but she has to keep it together.

 

All they’ll have is the weekend.

 

“Why do you look so sad babe? Did your father chewed you up again? What mistake did he put under the microphone? Tell me.” Nayeon gets up from lying down to make room for Jeongyeon to sit on the sofa.

 

“I’m not sad. I’m just exhausted from the meeting, you know how he is. Sorry I woke you up. I was about to carry you to bed but you’re a very light sleeper.” Jeongyeon smiles weakly, taking Nayeon’s hand in hers and kissing the top of it tenderly. A silent gesture of apologizing for the misery she’ll put ther older girl and herself in in the next few days.

 

“You know you’re not very good at lying, right? Your eyes will always give your real feelings away even when you smile. What is it baby?” Nayeon gently caresses Jeongyeon’s sharp jawline while smiling fondly.

 

“You know that when I said that I- I love you earlier, I really do mean it, right?” Jeongyeon looks at Nayeon’s soft eyes. If there’s one thing that separates Jeongyeon from everyone, it’s the way the usually sharp gaze of Nayeon disappears and is replaced with endless adoration for the younger girl.

 

“About that, you should’ve allowed me to give you a reply.” There it is again, a lilt of happiness in Nayeon’s eyes that is only saved for Jeongyeon. Jeongyeon’s heart aches once more at the thought of being responsible in breaking Nayeon’s heart.

 

“It wasn’t a question, why would I wait for a reply? I just... I just want you to know... that no matter what happens, it’s you... and only you who made me consider that falling in love isn’t a bad idea. I hope that whatever happens in the future, we’ll still be together in the end.” Jeongyeon cups Nayeon’s cheeks and kisses her lips briefly before urging Nayeon to get up from the sofa.

 

“Whatever it is that’s bothering you, I hope you can share the burden with me. If not now, you know you can always tell me anything when you’re ready.” Nayeon kisses Jeongyeon’s cheeks and gives her a warm smile before continuing “Have you eaten? I cooked shrimp scampi pasta, is that okay?” Nayeon then leads Jeongyeon by the hand towards her sophisticated kitchen. If there’s one thing the two of them loves to do together it is to bake and cook. That’s why Nayeon invested in top tier kitchen equipments so both of them can spend their free time together doing what they love.

 

“Anything you cook is more than okay. Why don’t you want your fans to know you can cook by the way? You even have to fake not knowing how to hold a kitchen knife during your interview last week. You’re weird.” Jeongyeon takes out a bottle of wine from Nayeon’s wine rack and opens it. She takes out two wine glasses and places it all on the table while her girlfriend is busy moving around the kitchen reheating the pasta for their late dinner.

 

“I don’t want people to think that I’m a wife material! You’re the only

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter