Chapter 10

Marrying a stranger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOTE: a lot of scenes ahead! It might get confusing but I wanted to put everything in one chapter.
----------

 

“What time will you be home?” Jeongyeon hears Mina’s small voice over the phone. She sounds like she’s whining which makes Jeongyeon crack a small smile despite the tiredness enveloping her entire body.

 

“In an hour, I think? I still have a late meeting with the board of directors. Why? Do you want something? I can ask my driver to get it for you.” The young President  double checks if she has the complete reports and documents on her desk as she continues to speak with her wife. It's been six months since her father has resigned and Jeongyeon has been stressing over changing what needs to be changed, doing things that needs to be done and corrected.

 

“No. I just want you home. Thumb must be looking for you. I feel weird.” She hears Mina let out a yawn. Her wife has been sleeping a lot these days.

 

“That’s sweet. I’ll try to wrap this up as soon as possible. I’ll get you some spicy chicken feet and pork skin before I head home so don’t eat too much.” She looks up from reading the reports when she hears someone knocking and opening the door of her office.

 

“Okay. Hurry!” 

 

“I will. Take a nap for now. I’ll have to go to the meeting.”

 

“Okay. See you later.”

 

She ends the phone call, pockets her phone and faces her secretary with a tired smile.

 

“President, the directors are ready for you.” He tells her as he gathers the reports that she prepared on her desk.

 

“Thank you, Mister Kim.” Jeongyeon gets up from her seat and walks towards the conference room with her secretary trailing behind her. Once she walks in the room, all the clamor dies down and everyone gets up from their seats to show their respect by bowing.
 

Jeongyeon just nods and moves to take her seat at the head of the conference table. 

 

“I apologize for calling an emergency meeting tonight. I know your families must be waiting at home so we will try to make this as quick as possible. Our competitors just launched a new phone and the specs are suspiciously similar to what our company has developed. I want all departments investigated for possible blueprint leaking and planned sabotage but I want everybody’s opinion in this matter before I make a decision that can affect everyone in the company.” Jeongyeon speaks with authority in her voice and with that another grueling meeting starts.

 

-----------xxx-----------

 

The meeting lasted for almost an hour. It was a quick one compared to their usual meetings but not quite, so Jeongyeon speed walks towards her car as soon as the meeting was over until she’s stopped by a few of her employees who greets her in the car park.

 

“Good evening, Miss Yoo. Would you like to join us and have a few drinks before heading home? It’ll just be at the nearest restaurant from the building.” Jeongyeon recognizes the young man speaking from the group of five people as Wooyoung, someone who works for their marketing department.

 

“As much as I want to, I’ll have to decline. I’m sorry but my very pregnant wife at home has been looking for me since this afternoon. I’ll make it up to you guys once my baby is born. I’ll treat everyone in the company to some drinks.” Jeongyeon says as she unlocks her car’s door.

 

“Everyone heard that President Yoo! We will be waiting. I hope your baby comes out safely. Good night and please take care while driving.” The group bid their farewell and Jeongyeon gets in her car to drive by a small tent near her office where she can buy what her wife has been craving before heading home.

 

Ever since her father resigned from his position as the company's president, the atmosphere in their company has changed. Their employees have been more productive and open about their ideas without any fear of getting shut down which helps her manage the company well.

While their employees are thankful that they are no longer living in fear of immediate termination when they commit a simple mistake, the higher ups still have their doubts with the way Jeongyeon has been managing everything.
 

For the people with a higher position and authority, fear will always equal to respect but for Jeongyeon, she wants everyone to feel like they’re a part of a family so she can gain their employee’s loyalty and their people will want to stay longer with their company. She wants to lead this company to a different but equally successful path without having to step on anyone to reach the success and she hopes she can prove herself worthy of her position through their annual income reports and their product's longetivity in the market. She really hopes she can gain everyone's trust and respect by doing what is right this time, a far cry to how her father used to run the company.

 

------------xxx-----------

 

“Mina! I’m home.” Jeongyeon calls out once she gets inside their house. She carelessly loosens the tie on her neck out of exhaustion. The lights are on so her eyes freely scans the area while she’s walking towards their living room couch where she sees her wife lying comfortably with her eyes closed.

 

Her living room which used to be barren of anything aside from a couch, a glass coffee table and a television is now filled with medical books and cook books stacked all over the place since her wife loves to read. Her glass coasters have been replaced with colored crocheted coasters in a shape of a penguin for her wife and a dog for Jeongyeon since Mina doesn’t like the sound of her mug hitting the glass coasters when she gets something to drink while watching the television. Mina also got Jeongyeon a cucumber and a cactus plant for her birthday last year and she placed the pots on her $5000 glass coffee table since it’s where the plants can get the most sunlight.

 

Her house which used to be immaculately clean has been a little more chaotic and she needs to clean twice as much but having someone to come home to after a tiring day at work has been comforting especially when her wife has started learning how to cook and Jeongyeon no longer has to eat take outs before hitting the sack like she used to.

 

The blonde woman quietly puts her leather messenger bag - a gift from her father in law, on the other side of the couch and sits close to where Mina’s head lays so she can caress her wife's hair and slowly wake her up. Mina is a light sleeper and it doesn't take Jeongyeon a few touches before Mina stirs on the couch and slowly opens her eyes.

 

“Hey. You should’ve slept on the bed. The couch isn’t very comfortable.” Jeongyeon gently caresses her wife’s forehead with her thumb.

 

“I was waiting for you. You took more than an hour so I fell asleep.” Mina pouts as she speaks which made Jeongyeon chuckle and it earns her a glare from the pouting woman.

 

“I’m sorry. The meeting got stretched too long since we have to discuss a lot of things and the line at the restaurant was kinda long tonight. Are you feeling alright? I got you the chicken feet and pork skin I promised. Do you still want to eat it with me? I haven’t had dinner yet.”

 

“It’s fine, I got a lot of leg cramps but nothing to be worried about. Thumb must be looking for you all day today since I kept on wanting to drop by at your office.” Mina pauses and grabs Jeongyeon’s wrist to check the time on her watch.” It’s almost eleven. Didn’t you eat something at work?” Mina slowly gets up from the couch and Jeongyeon have to help her since her round belly is sticking out.

 

Mina is pregnant now and “thumb” is what they call their child since their baby is small like a thumb when they received her sonogram.

 

"You have a special way of telling me you missed me. I had some sandwich for lunch while I was in a meeting with- ah, an endorser but that’s about it. I’m hungry.” The couple heads towards their kitchen with Mina leading the way and Jeongyeon trailing behind her.

 

“How many times do I have to remind you to eat on time? You’re gonna have a child soon. You need to think about thumb and start improving your health. You always get migraines because all you do is look at your computer or ipad.” Mina says as she takes out some rice from the rice cooker and puts some on Jeongyeon’s bowl. Thank God it’s still warm, she'll hate to feed the older girl who looks exhausted some cold food.

 

“I know. It’s just been too hectic today. I’m so sorry thumb, mama is just working hard for you and mommy.” Jeongyeon walks closer to where Mina is standing to run her hand on her wife’s belly.

 

Their child is expected to come out two months from now and both of them can’t wait.

 

When the fertility clinic from New York has given them the news of successfully getting Mina pregnant after the couple has both undergone medical procedures, all their pain was thrown out of the window.

 

The reciprocal in vitro fertilization - a way for two couples to both participate in the pregnancy by having one woman get her eggs retrieved from her, fertilized by a cell from a donor and having the embryo implanted on to the partner who wants to carry the child, took a few months before they finally were able to hear good results and they couldn't be more excited to welcome the blessing.

 

They immediately turned the guest room which used to be Mina’s room in Jeongyeon's house, into a nursery room. The couple took their time and both painted the walls with pink and blue, ordered a huge baby bed where an adult can fit with the baby, they even ordered a fancy crib fitting for a princess and assembled it themselves. They did everything together because they want to at least give their child all the love they couldn't give to each other.

 

It was not easy to make a decision on who is going to carry their child since both Jeongyeon and Mina had a stellar career going on for the both of them but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter