Goodbye Letters

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 

"No!" I shouted, jolting up from my sleep.

I looked around my surroundings and found out it wasn't just a nightmare. The genies were gone for real. I swiped my forehead, now damped with cold sweat as I stood up and walked out to the living room.

It was then I saw 6 envelopes neatly placed on the table. I rushed towards it and picked one up randomly, tearing it and pulling out the clean, white sheet of paper.

Yah, yeoja! You reading this? Well, you should so okay. We actually wrote this in the time we went missing so it's a little rushed but I know you still love it because it's from me neh? Yeah, and you better be treating this with care. One smudge or fold and I’m coming to haunt you in your nightmares.

Anyways, I know it hasn't even been a year since we met you but I can say the genies, along with I, felt a special bonds towards you we've never had with the others. I don't see why though, none of us did because you were neither y nor hot. No offence though, heuheu ^^ But reason or not, we’re really glad we got to meet you. Yongguk became a softie, Youngjae knew how to let loose, Daehyun opened up a little, even little Zelo started being a tad bit more mature. And you know what; it’s all thanks to you. Aigoo, I’m tearing up.

Moving on to the real stuff, when we're gone I hope you take good care of yourself. I'm not there to cook for you anymore, so remember to take your breakfast. I know how you hate them, but it's the most important meal of the day and I don't want you fainting or anything. We won’t be there anymore if you just faint like that so you have to prevent such stuffs from happening. I bought some pancakes and frozen pizzas, just if worst comes to worst you really have no time just take five minutes off to make them. Remember not to starve yourself!

I shall go now then, since you'll probably take a long time reading mine and the others would start cussing me. Unless I'm the last one you're reading, which you're not right? So I guess we’ll meet again? Maybe, so holds on to that hope okay?

Annyeong Haejin! Thanks for putting up with my greasiness! Saranghae! (That's I love you in genie language) and so you better love me back.

I wiped away the stray tear that fell from my face. I couldn’t help the smile tugging on my lips though and I found myself laughing whenever Himchan’s diva-ness showed up. I took the other envelope near his and opened it.

Hello noona. Ah, uh, people usually find it more awkward when they talk face to face but I find it even more awkward when I'm talking to you like that. Maybe because I can't see you.

I knew a time like this would come. I just didn't know it'd come so soon. Time has passed by so fast when you're with us. It was really fun living with you, noona. It was a long time, no; we haven't had such a unique master like you before. The other girls were just typical...girls. But you were different.

I guess that's why I fell for you? Remember that time I confessed to you? I hope you know that I wasn't just saying it out for fun. I really, truly meant what I said. Himchan hyung once told me that I shouldn't go on any further with this love since he said it'll hurt even more when I have to leave. I finally get what he meant now. But hyung was also right. Genies and humans can't be together. The worst part would be that you'd die before I would! But even if you don't return the same feelings, that's alright. It's good to know that you care for me and I'm so glad I got to know someone like you.

I don't like the fact you'd have to find someone to drink slushies and watch movies with you, but if you really do find a good one. I never got a chance to dance for you, but please believe me that you would one day!

I'll go now. Hyung set a time limit for us and mine has gone over. Bye, noona.

Love, Jonguppie.

Hi, Haejin-ah. I'm not sure how to start this letter. It almost seemed like just yesterday when we first met. Remember how you freaked out and started begging for us to release you? And also how you muted Zelo and wasted your first two wishes like that? It all seemed so surreal. Even now I doubt it actually happened 10 months ago now.

I know it's not long, the time that we spent together but the bond we shared is equaled to fifteen years together. Do you believe that it was fate or destiny that brought us seven together? Or maybe it was just luck. Either way, I'll never stop thanking god (or your god) for giving us this chance to know you.

I've never had the chance to tell you this when I was on earth, and maybe I was a coward to not have the courage to. How do I put this? I'm not sure exactly when and I'm not sure exactly how but somewhere along the way I think I fell in love with you. I know, me, Bang Yongguk, falling in love with a mortal. I bet I'd get laughed at if this ever got out. But I'm risking whatever ego I have to confess and tell you this. I like you, Yong Haejin. I know it's a little too late for this confession, but I feel a need to tell you this. And to say the truth, I'm feeling so much better. It was really hard to hide the truth, how I'm always having this fluttery feeling when you smile or how extremely warm your hand was when it was in mine. I love how you'd stay up to watch war movies with me even if you clearly have no interest and how you'd cook for me lunch. I'm really going to miss that when you're gone.

My time's up soon. I should have written faster. Well, just remember to take good care of yourself. Since we're not there anymore, there's no one looking out for you so try to be more cautious.

And one more thing. Please don't dwell on us being gone. Live life the way you did before we were even here. Since we can - yes we can - look at you from the genie world, we don't ever want to see you sulking or wasting away your life. We want to see your smile every time we look down at you. Just take it that we're your guardian angels that you can't see and we'll always be looking out for you.

Just keep that in mind. We'll see you soon, I promise.

Yongguk.

I wiped away my tears, a smile lighting up my face. My once heavy heart suddenly felt lighter, happier and the feeling of loss isn't completely loss, but it definitely lessened with the words of the genies.

Well, hi there birdbrain. I bet you're crying your out right now. Zelo is too so I guess you're not alone.

I think I'm going to tell you first I'm sorry for bullying you all this time. I admit, it was fun and entertaining and I was pretty sure you liked it too, but still due to hyung's never-ending naggings I shall apologize for my unacceptable behavior.

Well, back to teasing time. When we're gone, there won't be anyone there to share food with you, so when you're shopping please remember to buy half of what you used to buy. Skip the ones with high fats and buy those with 'less salt'. That'll probably lessen your fats problem. And don't just depend on food when you're feeling down. You can go for walks, play some games, and talk to friends. I really don't get why you'd pick the unhealthiest method of relieving your own pain and stress.

Which brings us back to topic on how you're feeling now. I know, very sure, you're sad. Saying the truth, I am too woman. We all are. But you better not stay like that because imagine how fat you're going to be in the next few days. As our sister and our family, we only want to wish what's best for you. And looking down from the genie world, we sure wouldn't want to see an ugly you desperate for a boyfriend but no one would want a fat girl to love. No, we won't want that. So make sure you're fit and strong, which means no binge eating when you're down, which means you can't stay sad about us for too long.

We'll miss you too, if that's what you want to know. And don't say I don't care for you enough. I do, I just don't show it much, okay. They say you'll feel good when you eat something nice. I hope you'll feel happy after making this.

I stopped reading and looked back at the envelope containing Youngjae's letter. I held it upside down and shook it, something else dropping out. Another piece of paper, I opened it and realized it was actually a recipe.

Make-A-Wish Cupcake; one wish per cupcake

Right at the bottom in small letterings was Youngjae's cursive handwriting.

"And we promise we'll make each and every one of them happen."

I stared at his words, feeling as if I'm the most blessed girl in the world. I picked up the second last letter.

Dear Haejin,

A chuckle escaped my lips when I figured it was Daehyun and how he was the only one using the formal opening tone.

I just went out with you not too long ago. I never said it, but it was a really enjoyable time for me. Every moment spent with you was both a pleasure and enjoyment to me. I know things didn't start out well when we first met. I was still the cold and reserved guy and I wasn't willing to let you in. It's the same with all my previous masters, and they usually give up after a few days or weeks. But you were different. They way you always had a curious gaze in your eyes when you looked at me, how you always tried no matter how you always fail in the end to try to make conversations with me, it made me felt something I've never felt for a long time. I felt wanted and cared for. Although we genies care for each other too, we don't show it as much as you do towards us. It was different, but different in a way that we all soon grew to love and adore.

I think I opened up to you somewhere. Maybe it was when we were at the playground after your break up. Or that time I rescued and piggybacked you. Either way, I think I fell for you and your special human ways. I've never felt something like that before. It was painful, weird, but also good at the same time. So in this time where I can express my feelings more in words than in person, I want to tell you that I have feelings for you. And I probably still would in another lifetime. Forever and ever.

Even when we're gone, I hope that you'd keep us in your memories forever because I'm very sure we genies would. We could never forget a girl like you.

From, Daehyun.

I stared at the letter, caught in a daze. So all this time, Yongguk and Daehyun had feelings for me? How could I not have known? Or maybe I did but didn't want to admit it.

I looked towards the last letter and immediately sadness washed over me. How could I ever live without this little guy in my life? Who's going to be the one making me annoyed but still happy all at the same time?

With nervous hands, I opened up the last letter, already sad that there'd be no more after that.

ANNYEONG NOONA! How are you now? I feel really, really, really, really, really sad. I've never cried so much in my entire life before! I hope noona isn't feeling as sad as I am, because if you do then I'll feel even sadder which will make you even sadder and then I'll feel the saddest.

The hyungs are giving me more time to write because they knew I'd write the most. Which I would! Do you know what we're doing now? I'll just tell you the real truth, alright? Everyone's crying. Himchan hyung's crying. Yongguk hyung is trying hard not to cry. Youngjae hyung tried but failed badly. Daehyun hyung is crying silently to himself, although it doesn't seem like it while Jongup hyung is just crying. Everyone's crying but in a different way. I think noona's crying too, so don't cry noona! If you don't cry anymore, I won't cry anymore too. If noona is being strong for Zelo, then Zelo shall be strong for noona.

I feel bad for not treasuring time with you. That time when we first came, I even wasted off two of your wishes. I should have just kept quiet while I could so maybe now, we'd still be with you. It's all my fault, I'm so sorry Haejinnie-noona! The only time Zelo got to spend quality time with you was when we went to the amusement park. I hoped you had lots of fun with me though because I really did. Every moment I spent with noona is so much fun.

I still remember how I told you about my past. Do you remember it, in the Ferris wheel? Maybe because I knew you were different, or maybe it's just through the special bond I felt when I was with noona, that's why I was willing to tell you about me. I felt my secret would be safe with you. But after having that conversation with you, I couldn't help thinking afterwards.

Noona was right. Junhong was the guy with the bad past who did bad things. But he could still make good memories, better memories that could replace the bad ones. I want to take your words and try. Zelo is a nice person to be, but it's also really hard to try to avoid who I really am from the start. Junhong isn't a bad guy, I came to know. He was only trying to save himself from being a worst person he could be if he didn't try. I know it's too late because I really wanted to make good memories of Junhong with you, but I shall try now. I'll implant memories I have with you into who I want Junhong to be, along with new memories I'd make with the other hyungs. Zelo won't dwell on the past and the bad and start focusing on the good ones.

That goes to you too, noona. I want noona to promise me, that since Zelo is changing to be a better person and to create a better future, you shall too. Without us, you’ll start a new life. Just treat it as the beginning of a new chapter. It won't be that hard, just picture us always cheering you on and you'd get enough courage. I always think of you when I'm feeling down and instantly I feel energized and happy. So in the future, if I was to feel down, promise Zelo that when I look down at noona, you'd have a smile on your face to brighten my day too. And like that, even if we're miles and miles apart, we'd all be happy as a family.

So I shall go now. We need to go handle some issues with the boss but no worries, nothing bad will happen. Take good care of yourself noona!

I love you very, very, very, very, very, very much. As much as how I love cookies and milk, where you're the milk and I'm the cookie (:

With many, many love,

Junhong

Tears splattered onto the letter, leaving some tear imprints as I stifled a sob. The words from Zelo was so sweet, young but heartwarming at the same time. It touched the bottom of my heart and I guess that's all I really need to make me see things in a clearer view.

I still have a life. I have people who care for me and people who'll look out for me. Why should I be dwelling over what happened in the past?

If the genies forgives me, then now it's up to me to forgive myself and move on. It'd be hard, but it's not impossible. And like what Zelo said, if he wants to see me happy, that I shall.

For him.

For all of them.

Just then, the bell to my house rang. I wiped away the tears and opened the door, seeing Myungsoo's face come into view.

"Myungsoo?" I said, opening the door wider.

"Hey," He gave me a warm smile.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"My best friend has been feeling down. You can't expect me to just sit by and do nothing right?" He said.

I blinked up at him and then smiled, nodding.

"How about we spend some quality time. Just you and me?" He suggested.

I agreed immediately, because if I'm going to move on, I have to start trying, starting from the very basics.

"Just let me go get changed." I told him.

I let him come in and sit down while I went to change. I packed up the envelopes, taking extra good care with them and placing them into my cupboard. I then proceeded to change and after five minutes of cleaning up, I was ready to go.

As Myungsoo opened the door, he looked around the house."Where did you roommates go?"

I smiled and followed him out."Home."

He nodded, not questioning any further. As I closed the door behind me, I took one last glance, my eyes landing on the genies' previous room.

I swore I saw a flash of pink and could almost hear the familiar laughter of the genies, the distant sound of the word 'noona'.

A smile lingered on my lips. As I took in a deep breath, I whispered a soft goodbye, taking one last look before closing the door behind me and finally ready to let go.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

not the end yet!