Midnight Intruders

6 Genies = 6 Wishes

 "Happy birthday Haejin!"

I heard this sentence repeating itself when I was in school today. No, I'm not extremely popular but I'm pretty well-known in school so in other words, yes, I'm popular, just not extremely popular. So all in all, I have many birthday wishes and presents but who cares about all that when who I want to celebrate my birthday with isn't here with me.

"So your parents are still in New York?" Myungsoo asked as we walked down the neighborhood road.

It was late at night now, probably 2 in the morning and although it's summer, it's still pretty cold. Both of us reeked of alcohol and second hand smoke, mainly because we just left the club. As a party to celebrate my eighteenth birthday, I went to the club along with a bunch of friends.

"Nope. At least they got me presents though," I mumbled.

"What is it?"

"Clothes."

Myungsoo scrunched up his face."Clothes?"

"Yes, clothes."

"That must have ."

"Well, technically it was lingerie."

"...Oh." Myungsoo picked awkwardly at the string of his jacket.

"And a two page long letter; half for greetings and the other one and a half about their warnings on turning eighteen."

"Warnings huh?" Myungsoo smirked.

"Yeah. One of them included: Since you're grown up now, we expect you not to go to Myungsoo's house for sleepovers anymore."

Myungsoo's smirk fell and he turned to look at me seriously."You're not really going to do that are you?"

I shrugged and swiped at an annoying fly flying in front of my face.

"How could you? It's a tradition we go to each other's house for sleepovers during special occasions!" Myungsoo flared.

"Calm down! I was just kidding! And keep your voice down, it's 2 right now if you didn't actually know," I hissed.

He placed his hands over his heart and sighed exaggeratedly."Thank god."

I saw my house in sight and his a few blocks away."So I'll see you in school?"

"Yeah yeah. Ditch me on a Sunday for your boyfriend," Myungsoo said flatly.

I punched his arms lightly and patted his head."You're the best! Goodnight Myunggie!"

He scoffed."Of course I'm the best. And don't call me that!" He shouted just when the lift doors closed shut.

When it reached the designated floor, I walked down to my apartment and unlocked the door, walking into the darkly lit house. I went to my room and switched on the lights, about to plunge onto my bed and bath later in the morning when I saw a parcel on my table. At first curious, slowly I became wary and frightened.

*There's no way anyone can come into my house and put it there.*

I walked towards it slowly and poked it lightly in case something pops up from it. When nothing happened, I tried to find a sender or address but there was nothing. Feeling more frightened than I already was, I peeled open the box slowly and peeped into it.

"What..." I stalled, staring at the 6 brightly coloured, ancient looking lamps. Below them was a folded note. I unfolded it and read it out loud.

"To summon up the genies, there are two ways. Either rub each lamp three times or spell out GENIE."

I looked at the note like it was crazy before turning my attention back to the lamps. Something must have overcome me because the next thing I knew, I was spelling GENIE out but nothing happened. Feeling stupid, I wrapped up the presents and pushed it under my bed, deciding to check up on it the next morning. I changed into more comfortable clothes before falling flat onto my bed and very quickly went to dreamland.

But it wasn't just 15 minutes into my wonderful sleep that I got awaken. I lay there silently before another sound can be heard from outside.

"What the..." I sat up and stared into the living room, feeling creeped out.

Just then, clanging of pots and someone saying 'shh' was heard before its all silent again. Eyes widened, I hopped out of bed, grabbed my umbrella and made my way out. I heard more whisperings from the kitchen.

I took in a deep breath in the hopes of calming my rapid heartbeat. *Okay, at the count of 3. One...two..."

At three, I switched on the kitchen lights and held the umbrella out, ready to swipe it at whoever the intruder is.

"Stop whatever you're doing or I'm calling the police!" I shouted but stopped short when I saw who was in front of me.

My jaw dropped as I stared dumbly at the 6 males in front of me. The umbrella from my hand slipped from my grip but the closest blonde caught it in time.

"Hi," Another blonde said, raising a hand."It's...uh...nice to meet you?"

My voice caught at my throat and only a strangled screech can be heard before my legs gave in and just when I hit the wooden floor, my sight blackened and I fainted.