2|

The Sound of Love

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dongho let out an irritable groan as the aggravating sound of his alarm clock went off. Raucously, he slammed his hand on the snooze button and continued his peaceful sleeping. He dreaded this day more than anything. It was his first day starting at Seoul Academy of Performing Arts. Yuck.

After a week of begging his parents to reconsider about making him transfer, he couldn’t get through to them. The pouting and getting on his knees wouldn’t persuade his parents one bit. Although they told him their decision was final, he still refused to give up and comply. Within a week, his parents organized everything for his first day- today.

Twenty long minutes passed and still, Dongho was still fast in a serene sleep, snuggled in his bed. He prayed his parents would forget about his first day and leave, but all hope was lost when he heard a loud banging on his door.

“YAH! SHIN DONGHO! GET YOUR UP RIGHT NOW! YOU’RE GOING TO BE LATE FOR YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! GET UP RIGHT THIS INSTANT!” he heard his mother shout and pound on his door.

He groaned into his pillow before finally getting up and opening his door to find his furious mother. “It’s about time!” she hollered at her son once again, “you honestly think that I would forget about this day? You are clearly mistaken! Now go clean up and get ready immediately!”

Dongho scoffed, unable to talk back at his mother. Without another word escaping from his mouth, he irately strode to the bathroom to prepare for school.

Appearing at the dining table, Dongho stood staring at his father who was too busy interested in the paper while he sipped his coffee and ate bits of his waffle. Clearing his throat, Dongho blew a raspberry, still loathing the fact that he is forced to attend this new school.

“I’m here,” he flatly announced.

“Ah, Dongho-ah,” his father exclaimed, admiring his son. “I like that uniform on you. It makes you look very handsome,” his father complimented, looking up from his paper. 

Dongho rolled his eyes. He was repulsed by everything at this school, but more importantly however, the dreadful uniform. It was the most hideous thing Dongho ever laid eyes on. He hated it the minute his mom presented it to him.

“It’s awful, father, it makes my thighs look ten times as huge,” he complained.

His father chuckled, “Ah, I swear Dongho, you’re worst than a girl. Have a seat; I want to have a father-son talk with you before you leave.” Dongho wordlessly sat at the empty chair next to his father as the servers came providing him with his breakfast.

“Now Dongho, I’m aware you’re not satisfied by your mother and I’s choice of making you go to this school-“

“No I’m not,” Dongho interrupted, shoving a bite of waffle in his mouth.

“Anyway,” his father continued, “I just think this school is very excellent. It’s perfect for a boy with great talent like yourself. It’s the road to take for a brilliant future, Dongho. Do you understand?”

“Mmhm,” Dongho mumbled, picking at the bits left his food, not listening to a word his father was saying, completely uninterested in the topic. He’s heard this lecture from his parents all week and he still refused to recognize their point. His plan was to attend this meaningless school, not putting any effort into his studies so his parents could realize their decision was a mistake and transfer him back.

He took a sip from his orange juice as his father was still explaining to him the importance of doing well at his new school.

“Dongho-ah, Dongho-ah!” he heard his mom call, breaking off his father’s little pep talk, “The car’s out front, hurry before you’re late!”


 

 

Dongho stood at the gates of his new school. It was fairly big building with many windows as well as mounds of students coming in and out of every corridor. They all wore their uniforms with designer handbags and the boys wore headphones around their necks, everyone trying their hardest to look prosperous.

He heard distinct chattering around him and giggles of girls. He sighed and entered the building. He received a few stares along with whispers from students as he walked past them in the hallway to his locker. Once at it, a ginormous crowd was gathered around it, making his locker area the official hangout spot. That irritated him even more.

His first few classes were are bore to him. His teachers made him stand before the entire class and introduce himself, which he did apathetically. Girls would do their best to talk to him and boys would pick on him for looking nerdy, but he’d ignore them and continue walking, carrying on with his lifeless day.

As lunch approached, Dongho couldn’t care less about eating. Instead, he decided to ditch and hide under the stairs, writing a new song in his notebook to take his mind off this upsetting day. Regardless of his cold attitude, his music was incredible. His songs would touch the heart of anyone; he was truly gifted.

He drew a couple notes onto the clean music sheet as a melody started building in his head. Just as he was finishing a verse, the sound of a piano playing down the hallway interjected, making him lose his train of thought. He had lost his idea. He groaned and harshly closed his notebook, ready to scold whoever had interrupted him. Today was the worst; he could never find any peace in this foolish school. He couldn’t take it anymore, he was done letting things fly by.

Furiously, he trudged down the hall to the source of the sound which was coming from an empty music room. His hand heatedly touched the doorknob, however, he stopped as the listened in on the tune the person was playing. He realized the song instantly- Yiruma.

Never has he ever heard anyone play the song or piano so beautifully. He softened and continued to listen to the wondrous sound. His hand leisurely moved away from the knob as a small smile crept onto his face when the person shifted an octave higher, making the song softer. Every key was hit perfectly creating a lovely, gentle sound. He loved it, to him it sounded as embracing as the warmth of fire on a cold and windy night.

He peered through the tiny window arranged on the door to see the person was a girl- a stunning girl.

Dongho’s eyes enlarged and his heart fluttered at the sight of her. She was a thin girl with long, silky, light brown hair extending down her back with a blue headband keeping her bangs out of her face. Her skin was milky white and flawless, not a single wrinkle or pimple on her face. Her lips were pink and plump. Her eyes were an average size, although her lashes were never-ending. Her cheeks were slightly chubby, yet she still had firm cheekbones. She wore no makeup, which Dongho found even more attractive. Her fingers were skinny and long- perfect for a pianist. She wore a small, knitted cardigan along with the school’s uniform. Also, her legs were fairly long; Dongho admired how her skirt wasn’t skimpy and short like everyone else. She wore old-worn out sneakers. Despite her attire, her face was gorgeous and her music was fascinating to Dongho.

Maybe this school isn’t so bad.