Chapter Seven

y, Free and Single

The days seemed to fly by until the fundraising festival and Junmyeon's big date with Jongin. Somehow Baekhyun managed to convince the rest of the school council that it would be a great idea if they all dressed up like a girl group and sang a song or two. Even though he protested long and loud he'd been outnumbered. Oddly enough Baekhyun had gotten out of dressing up by claiming he'd already signed up to sing with his friend Kyungsoo while Chanyeol played guitar. Since the council members would be early in the lineup Junmyeon hoped he was able to change before Jongin's time to shine arrived. 

Although they had texted back and forth Junmyeon wasn't really sure that Jongin was “the one”. He'd often find himself looking for Chennie on campus and if their eyes met across the distance Junmyeon could feel the blush rising to his cheeks with just a smile from the other man. 

“What's wrong my friend?” Yixing asked as they walked back to the dorms together, when he heard the involuntary sign escape from Junmyeon.

“Oh nothing much! Everything is great.” Junmyeon lied.

“I know something is bothering you. I'm here when you're ready to let me help you.” Yixing said as he eyed his friend critically. 

“How did you feel when you first met Sehun?” Junmyeon asked. “Did you…… you know…..”

“What? Want to have like rabbits?” Yixing asked in a serious tone which didn't match the mischievous twinkle in his eyes.

“WHAT?!!? Oh My God ...No!” Junmyeon squawked while trying to hide his flaming cheeks behind his hands. “I was going to ask if you had a feeling in your heart that you just knew he was, you know ‘the one’. He finished the sentence in a near whisper, half hoping his friend wouldn't hear and if he was very lucky not to ask him to repeat the question. 

A soft smile graced Yixing's lips at the thought of his and Sehun’s first meeting. “I was fully prepared to not be impressed on our first date. Let's face it the man is stunningly attractive, why would he need to find a mate through at dating service? But when we met in person, he shook my hand and smiled shyly at me, ME, of all people, meeting plain old me made the gorgeous man nervous.“

An involuntary snort escaped before Junmyeon could stop it. The fact that Yixing failed to see his own perfection was unfathomable. 

“The simple handshake had my heart racing and I felt like everyone and everything faded into the background and we were the only two people in the world.“ 

“That would explain why I was a witness to so much….” Junmyeon trailed off making random hand gestures for lack of a better means to express himself. 

“Sorry 'bout that. I guess we do get a little carried away at times but can you blame me? Have you seen his body? I just wanna-” 

“Okay! I got the picture. Good talk. So you…. I don't know….. found your soulmate?" Junmyeon felt embarrassed that he'd asked such a question, but instead of the teasing he was expecting, he friend stopped and turned to face him with a solemn look.

“Are things not going well between you and Jongin?” Yixing asked in an unexpectedly serious tone.

“They're fine I guess. It's just I don't feel like we're dating. It feels more like we’re friends hanging out together.” Junmyeon said while finding it hard to meet Yixing's gaze. "We haven't even gotten past hand holding and cuddling. It's nice but not what either of us was really looking for in a long term relationship." 

After an extended silence Junmyeon worked up the courage to glance at his friend. Yixing's gaze was focused on a point somewhere over Junmyeon's right shoulder. He turned to see what had caught the other man's attention and immediately wished he hadn't. Not very far away stood Jongin. He was standing by a tree nervously straightening and re-straightening his clothes and hair, as they watched another student come around the corner. Jongin was about to step from behind the tree and approach the newcomer when the stranger was joined by Chanyeol. Chanyeol draped an arm around the shorter man's neck, continuing to chatter away as his companion paid him hardly any notice. But the closeness of the pair seemed to not please Jongin in the least. 

"Well that would explain a thing or two." Junmyeon sighed.

"You may want to talk to Jongin before you make any decisions. You know how shy he can be, maybe he needed to borrow some class notes or something." Yixing suggested. 

"You're probably right. Either way I think a serious talk is needed if anything is going to be resolved." Junmyeon said as their journey back to the dorm. "Are you and Sehun still going out tonight?" 

"Yes. Sehun said he wants to check out the new bubble tea shop that just opened in the mall. If you'd like we can make sure to be home late." Yixing asked as they arrived at their room.

"Who's going out late?" Sehun asked after   reacquainting himself with Yixing's lips when the pair arrived back at their dorm room.

 "We are." Yixing said.

"Ewww… is Junmyeon going to have company over cause that would be gross." Sehun said with a shudder.

"And what would be so gross about that?" Yixing asked with a head tilt.

"That would be like knowing your parents had !" Sehun commented with another shudder.

"Sweetie…. Where do you think you and your brother came from?" Yixing asked while trying not to laugh.

"Mom said we were a gift of love from the stork and my momma wouldn't lie to me." Sehun said, crossing his arms as if daring either Junmyeon or Yixing to question his mom's honesty.

Junmyeon snorted but didn't say anything and Yixing simply said "Okay baby." Before kissing his pouty boyfriend. "How about we go to the mall, catch a movie and dinner and just maybe I'll treat you to some bubble tea."

"Can we see The Great Wall again? I love Matt Damon hyun and when that young soldier sacrifices himself to save the others…. I just…." Sehun asked with barely contained excitement, forgetting all about what may or may not be going on while they are out at the mall. 

"Sure, unless you'd rather watch Kung Fu Yoga. It has Jackie Chan and other people." Yixing offered, preferring to not take an entire box of tissues to their movie night. 

A pout was all that was needed for Yixing to crumble to his boyfriend's preference.

"Thanks, I owe you." Junmyeon mouthed to Yixing as he hustled the pair out the door only moments before Jongin's tentative knock was heard. 

"Hey." Junmyeon greeted him with his usual sunny smile.

"Hey." Jongin replied back with far less cheer. "Your text said you wanted to talk. I've been wanting to discuss something with you, too." 

"Oh. Okay. Would you like to go first?" Junmyeon offered. In his experience Jongin did more listening than talking. 

"Alright. I'd just like to say I've really enjoyed spending time with you but there isn't any ...magic." Jongin said not looking very happy about what he was saying. "I was hoping something would grow, given time but there is just a comfortable feeling when we're together and not what I was looking for in a relationship. I hope you can forgive me and we can still be friends." He finished finally meeting Junmyeon's eyes. 

"Wow. Well okay. That was basically what I wanted to talk to you about." Junmyeon laughed awkwardly. "I would very much like to stay friends with you too. If you don't mind my asking…. Do you like someone else?" 

"I kinda do but I've never even spoken to him! How crazy does that sound? It's just the first time we met ..." Jongin clasped his hands over his heart as if to control it as he turned pleading eyes to Junmyeon for understanding. 

"I understand. I was kind of hopeful that destiny was putting us together when I realized you were my "sleepy library guy" but I guess I was wrong. I like you but I can't see us in matching rocking chairs watching the grandkids ride their bikes through my rose garden." Junmyeon laughed. 

"Oh. Okay. I understand. I think." Jongin said but his furrowed brow told another story. More of a give me a few minutes to process what you just said. 

"I saw you earlier. You seemed to be waiting for someone. The short guy who was with Chanyeol, do you think he may be your….. " Junmyeon let his sentence trail off, not knowing the right word other than soulmate and most people didn't believe in things such as destinies and soulmates.

"I don't know. Maybe. I just felt this connection when we first met like nothing I've ever felt before." Jongin sighed.

"It's okay. Believe it or not I think I know what you're talking about. I think you need to talk to him and see what happens." Junmyeon suggested in his softest voice. "Either way, I'd still like to be friends." That was enough to restore a bit of Jongin's confidence so he could meet Junmyeon's eyes and give him a wobbly smile.

"I'd like that too, and I hope you find the right one to pick out rocking chairs with sooner rather than later."

They parted after one last hug and a promise to meet up next week for an off campus lunch. With any luck one or both of them may be listed as "unavailable" on the dating site.