Chapter Four

y, Free and Single

Luck wasn't with Junmyeon that morning because as he charged out into the hall he crashed into someone. He was still rocking a massive case of bed head and his purrito sleep pants so he mumbled a quick apology before turning and fleeing as quickly as possible.

“Who was that hot mess?” The one boy asked his friend who’d been the recipient of tackle.

“I don't know but I'd sure like to find out.” Jongdae said as he continued to watch the retreating figure.

That’s how Junmyeon ended up knocking on Minseok’s door. A sleepy eyed deer with a worse case of bed head than Junmyeon opened the door and then wandered off with a vague wave as a greeting.

“Baby, Suho is here. He needs to borrow some clothes, and a toothbrush.” Luhan said as he shuffled back towards the bedroom. How did he surmise all that in such a short time, who is Suho and was his morning breath really that bad? Junmyeon wondered as he waited for Minseok to appear.

“Your toothbrush is in it’s usual spot and you’re welcome to wear anything that’s mine. Don’t touch Luhan’s stuff though.” Minseok said as he joined Junmyeon, not bothering to ask why his friend was seeking refuge this time. It was a fairly regular occurrence. The ease with which Minseok took everything in stride was a comfort and in a way slightly distressing. Just because he chose not to witness ing being ‘young and in love’ didn’t mean he wasn’t in need of a sympathetic ear or shoulder once in a while.

“You know you’re like a brother to me so believe me when I say this, your views will change when you have a special someone of your own.” Minseok said as he handed his friend a mug of his specially crafted coffee.

Junmyeon opened his mouth to reply but no sound escaped.

“I have an early class so I’ll catch up with you later, okay love?” Luhan asked as he strolled out looking like he was ready for the cover of GQ magazine. How he managed the transformation in such a short time always puzzled Junmyeon.

“Mmh,” Minseok replied as he stole a quick kiss before handing his boyfriend the meals he’s packed. “I gave you extra cinnamon rolls for breakfast and two sandwiches for lunch. I don’t want you getting any thinner.” He said, earning him a blush and giggle from Luhan.

Junmyeon wished he’d be able to find someone to be his counterbalance. Luhan’s bubbly personality complemented Minseok’s quieter, more low key style. The difference was even visible in their toothbrush choices. Minseok’s was a no-nonsense plain green one while Luhan’s was pink and sparkly. Junmyeon reached for his own grumpy cat toothbrush and wondered what kind of toothbrush his soulmate would use. He saw the new roommate's, Kyungsoo was his name he thought, was a penguin so no match there. He randomly wondered what “mall guy’s” toothbrush looked like. He certainly had a dazzling smile.

After a shower Junmyeon pulled on some of Minseok’s old sweats as he prepared for another busy day. He grabbed his phone before heading off to class and as he walked he noticed he’d received 87 responses to the dating app. He was no expert but that seemed like a lot. While filtering through the definite “no” one's. It would seem out of all the notifications, many of which were from a guy named Heechul, who seemed very persistent and very shirtless in many of his pictures, Junmyeon was able to trim down the possibilities easier than he'd thought. One interesting one had no profile picture but his username was Chensingmachine21 and his tagline was “Lonely cat lover looking for his purrfect mate” and another was Galaxy_fanman whose tagline “Life without cuddles is unbearable” but his photos were marked private. Maybe he'd hold off on killing Sehun until after he'd had more time to do research. Out of curiosity Junmyeon searched for Yixing’s profile. Sure enough it was still in the database but “UNAVAILABLE” was plastered over the cover photo in bold letters. His tagline was “Looking for a snuggle bunny?” Junmyeon chuckled at Yixing’s typo. No wonder Sehun snatched him up, Yixing can be so cute and playful sometimes, at other times he can be seemingly in need of protection and then there's the times when he and Sehun are racing to get each other's clothes off. Junmyeon shuddered at the memory of witnessing that one too many times. That type of thing was not his cup of tea. Upon further investigation Junmyeon found Luhan's profile, also marked “UNAVAILABLE” but his cover photo was an artsy, black & white picture, highlighting his swan-like neck. That was as far as his research went before it was time to give his attention to the professor.

Lunch break was the next opportunity Junmyeon had to go back to his newest favorite pastime, stalking doing research on his friends that had profiles on the “Ready to Mingle” dating site. Chanyeol was listed but instead of the usual “UNAVAILABLE” label his cover photo had “MINE! PAWS OFF! No second warnings will be given. Love, Byun Baekhyun. ;-)” As if, Junmyeon scoffed. Maybe if I squinted and tilted my head I could see us together. Nope. Chanyeol was loud and boisterous where Junmyeon was more quiet and subtle. Their differences went way past “counterbalance” and into the “drive each other crazy” zone. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were both loud and playful, but they seemed to work somehow. In between his visits to his friends profiles Junmyeon received several more alerts that Heechul was “online and in the mood to play.” Junmyeon had a few classes with Heechul and had experienced the guys flirting technique first hand. “Who wants to hit the hot tub? Swimsuits optional!” “Poker night? Only if it's strip poker!” “Hey mamacita! I am a-yayayayaya” the list is endless. Junmyeon was looking to be someone’s special one, not one of many. He'd heard a rumor that Heechul once had 12 boyfriends at the same time!

Well he only needed to suffer through 4 dates to satisfy his agreement with the punk aka Sehun. Sooooo….. Galaxy_fanman could be one, Silverlight could be number two, he enjoys music and quiet nights hanging out with friends, number three Kai_88 who enjoys dancing and puppies and Chensingmachine21 would be number 4. There that should do it, Junmyeon congratulated himself when he worked up the courage to click on the "interested" button. Now he just needs to wait to see if he received any positive responses back. He received an almost immediate response back shortly after hitting the send button but it was sadly not from the dating site. Instead it was a text from Kris.

Hey…. So you didn’t by any chance to sign up for a dating website did you? Kris texted out of the blue.

Technically Sehun signed me up for it but I guess you could say I did. Why do you ask? Junmyeon replied.

Well….. I’m Galaxy_fanman.

Junmyeon stared at his phone in stunned disbelief. This just got super awkward.

Oh…… Ha….. well…… never mind then….. I'll talk to you later. Wait, aren't you dating that Tao guy? Why is your profile still active?????

I forgot I still had my profile on there. It's not a site just anyone can access. You have to know the right people.

What does that even mean? Junmyeon wondered.

I'm meeting Tao so we can do some shopping so we'll talk later, okay? Good luck!

Thanks. Do you have anyone you think might be a match for me? I need 4 dates to get Sehun off my back.

Heechul is always available.

No. Thanks anyway. Enjoy your date.

Hopefully his other options won't turn out to be his friends, Junmyeon silently prayed. By this time lunch was over and it was time to get back to paying attention to what he was at college for.

When the end of the school day finally rolled around Junmyeon was ready to just go back to his dorm room and sleep until tomorrow but he knew that wasn’t an option. He needed to go to the library to work on his research paper for his theories on water and exoplanets. Hopefully he’ll run into that cute boy that always falls asleep in the nonfiction section.

As he walked he checked his phone to see if he’d received and responses back from the dating site. There was only one. Thinking it was from Kris, Junmyeon was pleasantly surprised when it was from Silverlight. The message said he would like to meet for coffee if Junmyeon was free tonight and included an updated photo so Junmyeon would recognize him. The photo was of a golden haired young man with high cheekbones and a wide, friendly smile. Just seeing the picture alone made Junmyeon smile in response. He just knew they would get along well. Junmyeon quickly typed a reply back, setting a time to meet that would give him enough time to work on his paper, shower and change but still not too late to be out on a school night.

Date number one check and with any luck there won’t be any need for further searching. Junmyeon couldn’t keep the smile off his face in anticipation of the night ahead of him. He was still savoring the prospect of a successful match and possibly doing a jovial little dance when he caught the attention of two boys about to enter the library behind him. 

“Isn’t that the guy from this morning?” The taller of the pair asked his friend. Not waiting for a response the guy pulled out his phone and began scrolling through in search of something. “Ah. Here it is. 'Catmyeon enjoys singing, dancing, reading and cuddling. He’s looking for someone to take long walks on the beach with and watch the sunset together.’ A bit cliche but he's cute so why not.” He says as he taps away on his phone with a shrug. 

The shorter of the pair was distracted by the view so he wasn't giving his friend his undivided attention until the words finally registered in his brain. NOOO! He screamed internally, only to smile stiffly as they entered the library. He’d seen the cutie first but since Jongin had made the first move he knew he couldn't break the bro code and ask out the same guy his friend and roommate showed interest in. 

“Good luck man, I hope it works out for you.” Jongdae said only to be shushed by the desk attendant. The boys exchanged a look before giggling like naughty kids and hurried off to the nonfiction section.