New Beginning

Turn of the tide.

Narrator’s POV

Over the weekends, the news of Soo Hee dropping out of school bothered Chunji and Myung Soo. They decided to do something to help her.

The next day…

“Seon-saeng-nim, I really need Park Soo Hee’s contact details. Can you please give it to me?” Chunji asked with pleading eyes.

“You are really persistent, huh? Okay, fine. Anyways, I doubt you are that kind of students who would prank call her.” The teacher gave in to his consistent pestering.

Searching through the student records, he scribbled Soo Hee’s address and mobile number on a piece of paper.

“No prank calls or prank visits, arraso?” The professor instructed as he passed him the note.

“Ne.” Chunji answered politely as he took the note from his teacher.

“Yah, Kim Joo Woo. Give me Soo Hee’s mobile number.” Myung Soo demanded.

“Oh, fat girl’s? I deleted it right after the bet… Why do you want it for anyways?” Joo Woo asked as he looked up from his game.

“Nothing.” Myung Soo said as he walked off.

“Damn.” He cursed under his breath.

Chunji had dialed the same number several times but they were all directed to the voice mail. He sighed and hung up the phone call with deflated shoulders. Chunji stared at the address on the note and nodded hopefully. Making his way to the address written, he spotted a familiar figure. He walked closer and tapped the person’s shoulder.

“Myung Soo?” Chunji said in a surprised manner.

“Oh. Why are you here too?” Myung Soo said in an equally surprised tone.

“I came to find Soo Hee…” Chunji answered him.

“I have pressed the doorbell for some time already but there seems to be no one…” Myung Soo said as he looked at the windows of her house.

Then, an old lady happened to pass by and saw the two boys.

“Oh. Are you looking for the Park family?” the old lady asked as she looked at the two of them.

“Ah, yes halmeoni.” Chunji answered as he smiled politely.

“Oh, they have moved away months ago. You probably have gotten the old address.” The elder replied.

“Do you have any idea where they live in now?” Myung Soo asked as he walked closer.

“Sorry, I am not sure…” The lady replied with a toothless smile.

“It’s alright. Thank you so much.” Chunji said as he bowed down.

“Damn the stupid teacher who did not update the students’ particulars.” Myung Soo cursed in his mind.

The old lady left and the two boys remained standing outside Soo Hee’s old house.

“Where do I find her now?” Myung Soo thought.

“Is she alright now?” Chunji thought to himself.

“Haiz…” The two sighed at the same time. They then turned and stared at each other.

Park Soo Hee’s POV

It was the third day after I called in to drop out of school. Today was the first time I woke up and did not dread the day like before. Not going to school meant that I was away from the others. It also meant that I was away from the hurtful remarks and away from pain they would inflict on me. I like it this way and I want to keep it like that. Today was going to be the first day of home schooling too. Thankfully, dad was out to work in the morning and I could have my lessons peacefully. I wondered if the online application was a successful and reliable one…

 “Okay, that’s all for lessons today. This will be your work for the day.” My new teacher said with a cheerful smile as she handed me a piece of homework.

I nodded my head and gave a weak smile. Sending her out of my house, I sat back at my study table and completed the assigned work quickly. After which, I changed out into a T-shirt and a pair of jeans before leaving home. I had to find a new job so as to pay for my home schooling fees. My stupid father was not going to pay for the extra school fees. He did not say so but I knew it. I wondered if he even knew I dropped out of school. I didn’t bother notifying him and I doubt he even cares.

I had read up the employment section of the newspaper and searched for job opportunities online. There is this particular ramen shop which pays well and is located near my house. I decided to try my luck so I went there. It was stated to have a walk-in interview. I entered the shop with my head hanging low and walked towards the cashier. A middle-aged lady with curls looked up at me with a warm smile.

“What do you need from me?” she asked politely.

“I… I am here for the interview.” I said as I stared down at my sneakers.

“Oh! Come on here and take a seat first, my dear.” She said as she led me to one of the tables.

“Th-Thank you.” I replied as I sat down. She was kind of over-friendly and nice to me. It was exactly because of that which made me kind of unused.

“Why do you need this job?” She asked me with the same warm smile as before.

“I…I need to pay for my home schooling fees.” I answered truthfully.

“Okay. The job here will not be easy and slack, you know?” She continued.

“I am willing to work hard.” I answered as I looked up and faced her.

“Okay. In that case… Welcome onboard!” She stood up and extended her hand.

I looked up at her in shock and hurriedly stood up too.

“Did…Did… she just recruit me?!” I thought as I extended my hand meekly.

She took my hand and shook it, still smiling. Although I didn’t know her well, she seemed like a nice person. Somehow, she gave me a motherly feel and I liked it.

“When can you start work?” she asked as she released the handgrip.

“Anytime.” I answered with an awkward smile.

“Okay, how about starting today? I will get Hye Mi to teach you the basics first. Oh, anyways you can call me Mdm Kim from now on!” She said and gave me a light pat on my shoulder.

“Hye Mi-ah!~” Mdm Kim shouted in the direction of the kitchen.

“Mother Kim, I am coming~” A cute girl ran from the kitchen and screeched to a sudden stop beside me.

She looked at me and flashed a sincere smile before managing a quick wave.

 “New girl?” she asked Mdm Kim.

Mdm Kim gave a light nod and smiled back at her.

“Hello, nice to meet you. I am Jang Hye Mi. What is your name?” She did her self-introduction.

“I…I am Park Soo Hee.” I stammered slightly.

“I am 19 years old. How old are you?!” She asked excitedly.

“19.” I answered simply.

“Oh, then we are of the same age. We can be friends! There will be no !” she exclaimed as she winked at Mdm Kim.

“You naughty little girl! What were you trying to imply?” Mdm Kim asked in a fake scolding tone.

The beautiful girl giggled at her response, covering .

“Go teach her the basics and stop talking nonsense. You are going to scare her off at this rate…” Mdm Kim instructed.

“Alright!” Hye Mi made an ‘okay’ sign with her fingers and pulled me to the cashier.

“Mother Kim is always this naggy…” She whispered to me and looked at me.

I like how her eyes sparkle when she talks.

“I heard you calling her mother Kim. She is your mother?” I asked. I was curious about their relationship since they didn’t behave like the typical mother and daughter.

“Nah. It is just that she is motherly so I call her that. My real mother is currently sick and resting at home.” She said. I noticed that there was this painful expression in her eyes for a second after she said that. However, in the next second, she concealed it with her cheerful smile. I nodded my head in agreement.

“Come on, let’s get started. So you press this button to key in the…” She began her teaching. I listened intently and started taking down mental notes.

“They seem to be really nice people. I guess I can get along with them well in future?” I thought to myself as I looked at Hye Mi.

Author's Note:
Hello everyone:D~
This chapter seems to be a little too long. Sorry:X
Thanks for reading anyways:)
Please comment/subscribe? ^^