Chapter 4: Trying is a process

You Were Never A Joke

Taeyeon spent the duration of the class thinking about Wooyoung. She also spent time stealing glances at his direction only when she was sure he wouldn't notice. 

'What's up with him?'. She thought to herself. She replayed the incident a while ago. How easily Wooyoung snapped at their classmates. 'Is something troubling him?'. Another thought made its way to her mind. 

She sighed and burrowed her face in her hands. She stole a glance at Soyeon to make sure she wasn't looking at her. Soyeon was busy focusing on the lesson to actually care about matters beside her so Taeyeon felt a temporary relief. Although she's trying hard to compose herself because if Soyeon finds out she was just thinking about him and she wouldn't be too happy about it. 

But question keep popping in her head. She stole another glance at Wooyoung, this time being caught in the act. She abruptly turned her head back again. She pinched her arms. Hard. Punishing herself. How stupid of her to actually turn in his direction immediately. She should have checked then double checked like the way she did before but she didn't. 

When class ended she immediately ran out of the classroom to the safety of the bathroom and splashed cold water on her face. She looked at herself in the mirror and forced a smile. 

'You should be trying you know'. She said to herself. 

She sighed and slowly opened the door but not before poking her head out then looking from left to right. When she was sure the coast was clear she slowly made her way out. 

***

She headed straight for the cafeteria thinking Soyeon would be there. Unfortunately, she wasn't. She was about to leave to look for her when someone grabbed her arm.

'Leaving so soon?'

She yanked her hand free when she saw who it was. Wooyoung was smirking at her. Mocking her.

'Obviously'. She replied haughtily.

Wooyoung's smirk grew wider. 'I thought you might want to join us'. He pointed his fingers on the table nearest them. Seated there were Wooyoung's friend and a few other girls. Junho was also there, sipping at his drink uncomfortably. Taeyeon looked at him intently. He glanced up at her and gave a small shake of his head. Was he telling her not to come? Is that a sign?. She thought to herself. 

Guess she'll have to agree on Junho on this one. It's not as if she wants to mingle with his crowd anyway. 'No thanks. I better get going'

Just as she was about to grab the handle of the door. Wooyoung grabbed her arm. 'Would you like it to be just you and me?'

Taeyeon gave him a disgusted face. Remind me again why I fell for this guy who turns out to be such a big jerk. She thought to herself. She wanted to slap him but stopped herself. As much as Taeyeon hate him for doing stuffs. She doesn't want to embarass him.

Wooyoung sensed that Taeyeon was about to slap him. What confused him was that she didn't. 

'My arm'. She said sternly. Trying to squeeze her arm away from his grasp.

'You could slap me, you know. Why stop?'. He whispered to her.

She chuckled and by doing so she felt Wooyoung's grip loosen. 'If I were to slap you I wouldn't dare stop'. She lied. 

She tugged hard on her arm until it was finally out of Wooyoung's grip and went out of the cafeteria.

***

Wooyoung slumped back in his seat. Everyone ignored him. Only Junho took notice of him. Makes sense since he was the only one who knew that he had an encounter with Taeyeon.

Junho noticed how Wooyoung played with his food not minding to eat it. He only stared at it and angrily dig his fork on the meal.

'Wooyoung. Do you have my book?'

Wooyoung glanced at him irritably. 'Yeah'

'I need it'. Junho demanded. 

Wooyoung ignored him and continued murdering his food. 'I said I need it'

This time Wooyoung placed his fork angrily on the table. 'What for? You don't need it. School's about to end in a matter of days'

The people gathered at their table looked at the two of them. They were confused as to why Wooyoung was on the edge but somehow Junho seems to be calm. Almost in control of the whole situation.

'I just need it. Could I have it back?'

Wooyoung stormed out of the cafeteria. Junho gave out a triumphant smile. The others stared at him, studying his reaction. 'What was that?'. Taecyeon asked.

Junho smiled at them in the most reassuring way possible. 'Don't worry hyung. I got it under control'

***

Junho was just in time to hear Wooyoung banging his locker shut.

'Here's your freaking book'. He said.

Junho surpressed a smile. Never once did he see Wooyoung lose his composure.

'I don't really need it. As you said schools going to end anytime soon'

'What?'. Wooyoung cried out. 'Why the hell did you have to make me..Ugghh!..Nevermind'

'I wanted to drag you out here. Where no one else can hear me saying I know why you're so pissed off'

Wooyoung shook her head then gave out a smirk. 'I hate her guts'

'You always do. Every single time. You hate girls who confess to you'. Junho stated matter-of-factly.

'Yeah? Well, she's a new kind of hate. A greater decree'

Junho sighed. 'Maybe that's not it at all'

Wooyoung turned to look at him. 'What do you mean?'

Junho shrugged and made his way back to the cafeteria. 'Who knows? I tend to say useless things'

Wooyoung eyed him suspiciously but Junho only smile and shrug. Making a good show of supporting his words. Wooyoung let it go. There was no point of pressing it out when he knows he'll never get Junho talking so he silently followed behind him.