Chapter 2: Pessimism has it's worth

You Were Never A Joke

'This day is gonna be awful', Taeyeon told herself. Optimism was way out of her mind. Not even the morning rays that greeted her warmly the moment she woke up could shove optimism into her. There was just this unwanted feeling that seems to be brewing inside of her and it's making her sick.

As she made her way to class, she desperately avoided making eye contact to other people. Sure, they weren't there when she gave the letter, because she made sure she approach him without any audience, but her paranoia made her do so. She can't help feeling that those faces would be laughing at her soon. 

She chuckled nervously at the thought. People laughing at her. She feeling paranoid ever since she woke up. If only she knew back then what the effects of confessing would do to her then she wouldn't have done it in the first place but the inventor of the time capsule isn't born yet so she can't go rewinding time. 

She made it safely to her room without people gasping and mouthing her name in hushed tones. She almost felt relief. Almost. That's when she saw Wooyoung, casually leaning on his seat. His hands positioned at the back of his head. He was busy chatting away with friends. She looked at him for only the briefest moments. Just trying to gauge some reaction out of him, some indications. She didn't mean to stare but soon she felt Wooyoung's gaze fixated on her. She let out a gasp so low it was barely audible. As soon as his gaze turned to her, he immediately retrive it. Glancing back at his companions. Taeyeon slumped at her seat. What was that? She racked her brain for possible reasons for his actions but none of them was close to making a conclusion. No answers only questions.

Did he read the letter?

If so, then what is his response?

Does he hate me?

Or even considering the idea of doing so?

What?

She buried her face in her hands in frustration. She was regretting her actions. But a small part of her is convinced that her actions actually made sense. Sadly, only a small part of her. Her regret and frustrations for her confession was dominant. She was halfway through thinking possible disasters to vanquish the remaining life out of her when she felt someone tap her on the shoulders.

'Is something the matter?'

She looked up to see Soyeon peering at her. Her face creased with worry. She removed her hands away from her face and managed to give a small smile before shaking her head. 

'No'

Soyeon ignored her and glanced at the people at the classroom. Her expression was unreadable but judging from the way she was scrutinizing the crowd she must be taking in their every actions. Wondering if one of them has found out already.

'Seems pretty normal to me. So why the sullen look?'

Taeyeon shrugged. Not barely knowing herself for acting sullen since this time. 'Just have a bad feeling, that's all'

Soyeon looked at her friend in disbelief before laughing. 'You're expecting for the worst, am I right?'

'What's there to expect?', Taeyeon snaps back. She didn't mean to but the way Soyeon laughed at her, it just seems to put her on edge. Fortunately, Soyeon didn't react negatively.

'I bet you're the only person who feels that way'

I raised my brows at her questioningly. 'Pardon? I don't seem to get what you're talking about'

'Taeyeon for pit's sake, you confessed your love. You didn't confront the bloke for a bloody war. Stop stressing'

Taeyeon replied a simple 'hmp' and focused her gaze elsewhere but Soyeon's statement rings in her head. Telling her to actually focus on what she said. When she finally convinced herself that Soyeon actually had a point she looked back at her friend and gave out a resigned sigh. 

'You're right. I'm just too pessimistic for my own good'

Soyeon shrugs as if to approve but smiles reassuringly. 'Well, every one has their first. First confessions make you look and act pathetic. Reasonable enough. Now put that sullen look away you don't look appealing at all'

Taeyeon managed to laugh. The first since this morning. It was a nice feeling. Something you might miss once you act all gloomy and all. Don't stress, her new reminder to herself was. Surprisingly , for the whole morning she actually made herself believe just that. Soon the jitters where out of feel.

***

Not one thing happened.

Taeyeon already felt the reassurance of her words seeping in her and engulfing her. By the time final bell rang she had herslf convince she won't be expecting the worst. She tucked her books neatly on her bag and was about to make a beeline for the door when she heard someone shout 'Attention'.

Suddenly, a turmoil starts brewing inside her. Please don't be, she silently prayed as she turned herself slowly to the back of the class where Wooyoung, the one whose voice shouted for attention, was.

To her ultimate horror, Wooyoung was waving a piece of paper back on forth. His arms raised so high as if mimicking a billionare waving his money. When he gathered a crowd which was almost the entire class and a few passers by he started opening the paper.

'Dear Wooyoung', he started. 

Taeyeon stood there, gaping out in horror. No movement can be expected out of her. She was rooted to her spot. Petrified at what she witnessed. Her letter waving back and forth for every one to see and now for every one to hear. 

'I don't know how to start a letter as such', he continued. 

Taeyeon shook her head. Mouthing the words 'no' repeatedly. She saw Wooyoung looking at her. Smirking. The nerve of that guy. He was enjoying this. She wanted to grab the paper, she wanted to go there and just slap him right in the face but she can't. She wants to but her feet were secured to the ground, unable to move. 

She felt burning. Her eyes stinging. She waved the thought off. The mere thought of crying in front of these people, to see her vulnerabilty was just too much so she bit the sides of her cheek to prevent the tear from escaping. 

Just when Wooyoung was about to reach the half part of the letter, someone snatched it away from his grasp. But not before he reached the part where Taeyeon stated how she liked him and all. He turned around, stunned by the sudden intrusion. A small smile appeared on his face when he recognized who she was. 

Taeyeon was staring down at him in fury. She didn't know what to do next. Her feet just dragged her all the way to where Wooyoung was to retrieve her letter. Her plan only covers that. The next move was indecipherable.

'Ohw, good your taking it back. I don't have use for it anyway', Wooyoung said matter-of-factly.

Such words bought Taeyeon to her limit. She bought her hand up to slap him. She didn't care wether the crowd gasp in horror. Such actions eased the pain and disappointment that flooded her emotions at the moment. A tear was on the verge of escaping, no matter how much she tries to hold it in, when a hand yanked her away from the scene.

She was dragged by the protective hands of Soyeon. They made it out of class. No one bothering to utter a single word. They understood that one of them desperately wants to be invisible for a moment and that's what the other one is doing. Soyeon dragging Taeyeon out to hide her away and let her cry in peace.

As she was being dragged by Soyeon. Her tears finally started coming out. Just when she couldn't go on any longer because of the tears and the frustration draining the life out of her did Soyeon managed to let her sit. They were at the back of the campus where a few students care to visit. There, Taeyeon cried out while Soyeon patted her shoulders. 

'I guess I was right the whole time', Taeyeon said staightening herself out. She gave Soyeon an unconvincing smile. 

'Probably', Soyeon barely agreed with a shrug.

'I say I was. I knew something was gonna crack', Taeyeon cried out. Her voice rising.

Soyeon didn't flinch at the sound of her voice. She know it was due to the pent up anger inside her and that Taeyeon was only bringing out on her. 'You were right about something bad happening. You were just wrong about confessing to that guy'

Taeyeon laughed bitterly but Soyeon knows she agreed to what she said. 'I know', Taeyeon managed to say.

They sat there in silence. Taeyeon sorting her thoughts out. She wanted to cry out again but her eyes were drained out of tears. 

'I'm sorry'

Soyeon shot her a look. 'Sorry for what?'

'For lashing it out on you'

Soyeon shrugged and gave her a smack. 

'Hey what was that for', Taeyeon said.

'Don't be sorry silly. Although you have a good deal of reason as to why you should be'

Taeyeon raised her brows in inquiry. 'Why is that?'

'For choosing such a guy'

Taeyeon managed to curve the side of her lips upward. It can be considered a smile but very bitter. She feel so stupid for ever doing such a thing. Just when she finally had the courage to do so it came tumbling down. Just now, she started questioning herself what she saw in that Wooyoung-guy. She facepalmed herself only to hear Soyeon laugh beside her.

'You know you can't change what's happened. But you can always turn the table for what's going to happen'

Taeyeon looked at the girl beside her. Soyeon was staring at her as if to say 'You know I'm right'. She shrugged her shoulders and managed a genuine smile. 'What can I say. Another wise word from your mouth and I'm in ease'.

Soyeon laughed heartily. 'That's why you~'. 

'Keep me around', Taeyeon cut her off, 'Yeah, yeah I know'

She waved her hand at Soyeon like it was such an ordinary thing but they both know that the tension already eased. Whatever frustration inside of her was somewhat dismissed. She already had herself convinced that she wouldn't dwell on the being the victim. 

She had a plan. This time it was decipherable. 

A plan to set things aside. Emotions and all and act normal. Just like the day before she confessed, minus the feelings for Wooyoung.