Chapter 3: Consequences of being 'Highlighted'

You Were Never A Joke

All eyes were on Taeyeon when she set forth on the school grounds. Maybe not entirely, maybe saying 'all' was an exaggeration but still with gazes directed towards her it's enough to say that sooner or later the whole student body would have a fracture of the news. She could already imagine the things that are going on inside the head of this people.

'Don't mind them'. Taeyeon turned around and smiled in relief when she saw Soyeon catching up behind her. 

'I'm not', she casually said. She kept reminding herself that all of yesterday's event was just a big joke and that this day is expected.

'Good', Soyeon said matter-of-factly, 'For now just enjoy the spotlight'

Taeyeon gave out a laugh. Spotlight? Seriously! If being the laughing stock of the whole school was a consequence to be on the spotlight she would gladly rewind time. Pay a huge amount to the inventor of the time capsule to do so.

'Then', Taeyeon began, 'Would you gladly share the spotlight with me?'

Soyeon pretended to consider it for a moment. 'Well, I really don't know but~'

'Are you declining my offer? Because if you are I'll make sure you'll never see the light of day anymore'

Soyeon laughed and patted her head. 'Sure sure. Now move. We're gonna be late'

***

Wooyoung smirked when he saw Taeyeon making her way to her seat. He glanced around the room and was overjoyed when he saw everyone stare at her. He was anticipating something, anything. He kept his gaze planted on her but she never squirmed at the gazes directed at her, instead she was laughing. Laughing? He thought to himself. She was suppose to be ducking her head and avoiding people but unfortunately she seemed....normal. Normal like the whole misfortunes yesterday didn't affect her. 

'Wooyoung', Junho called out. 'Hey, she's here'

'I know, I was staring at her the whole time. Don't you think she's acting odd?'

'Odd? How odd?'

Wooyoung rolled his eyes. 'She.. Just look at her'. He was frustrated. He didn't expect something like this. He already had his mind thinking of possible ways to make fun of her but seeing her right now, her actions not going according to plan. It made him frustrated. Even more that Junho seem not to notice it immediately.

'Well, she seems fine', Junho stated.

'Exactly', Wooyoung cried out. His voice rising due to his irritation, that it made the whole class look at his direction. Taeyeon was one of them. He avoided looking at other people instead he focused his gaze on the one person he seems to be cross at the moment.

She must be happy I'm now the one who looks like a fool, he thought to himself. But, Taeyeon's gaze was nowhere near mocking and Wooyoung knew that. Which made him even more frustrated. He averted his gaze and instead lashed out his anger at the others.

'What are you looking at, huh? Go mind your own ing business.'

The crowd shifted in their seats and went back to what they were doing before. Wooyoung thought everyone finally settled back but when he directed his eyes at that direction where Taeyeon was seated he saw that she was still staring at him. He felt uncomfortable under her stare. He felt like a 5 year old again, when his mother would question him if he was the one who did wrong. He hated that feeling because he always tell the truth. Every single time. And now, looking at Taeyeon it seems like her gaze was questioning what's happening to him and he feels that he's close to telling her the truth. He looked elsewhere. Making sure he seems rude in the process. In that action, he takes pride.

***

'Taeyeon!'

Taeyeon blinked a couple of times before finally focusing on the girl facing her. 

'I'm sorry. What was it we were talking about?'

Soyeon sighed. 'What happened? You blanked out.'

Taeyeon searched her brain for something to say. She could always go for the truth but what could her reason be to go with it? She could tell Soyeon that she was just making sure Wooyoung was okay but wasn't it her idea to leave everything behind and start acting normal minus Wooyoung. So instead of talking 100% honesty she made it a corrupted one.

'Nothing just making sure he was still in his right mind'

Soyeon giggled. 'You think all this act of yours was driving him nuts?

Taeyeon shrugged. 'Maybe. Who knows? And please I'm not acting. This is what I normally do'

Soyeon raised her brows at her. Urging her to disagree. Taeyeon saw how intent her friend was. She knows that contradicting her was pointless. 'Fine. Not exactly normal but who cares? Now could we please not talk about that?'

Soyeon must've saw the discomfort it gives to Taeyeon when talking of matters concerning Wooyoung so she nodded her head and changed the topic.