Cardigan

Stars & Oceans

"Alright, cut! Let's set up the next scene."

Ian took a step back as Chaerin left his arms. She flashed him a quick grin and before he knew it, she was already bouncing off to her makeup artist for a touch up.

Her smile was as infectious as ever, he thought. He felt the beginnings of a smile on his face as his eyes followed her. She was skipping towards her team, and did a happy bounce with each step she took. She was going to drive him crazy with how adorable she was being today.

"Hey, hey snap out of it," Scott said as the DPR team came up to him. "You're being way too obvious dude."

"Hmm? Nah, I don't know what you're talking about." Ian shrugged as his stylist adjusted the cardigan he had on, making sure that he was looking his best for the next scene.

It was just as well that someone else was paying attention to Ian's clothes, because all Ian could think about, is the girl that was cheerfully joking around with her team in the distance as they took photos of her.

It was starting to be a habit he can't quit. He seemed to have developed a Chaerin radar. He could sense her presence anywhere, and can't help himself but to seek it. It was happening again; his eyes were drawn to her figure in the distance. It was as if she was a magnet that he couldn't help but be pulled towards. It was like jam and butterflies? Yes.. like nectar and bees...

His eyes tracked her every movement. They followed her excited jumps, the way she threw her head back and let out that loud boisterous laughter that he loves.. and her playful poses for the camera. He didn't know it then, but the corners of his lips were turning upwards, and before long, a small laugh escaped from him as she skipped back towards him.

"Bro, seriously, get it together man.." Dabin nudged him on his shoulder as the team prepared to leave. Ian ran his hand through his locks and rubbed his face in a futile attempt to hide his smile. They caught him! He thought he was doing pretty good on this 'acting' thing, but maybe not? (Definitely not)

They were to stroll through the set for the next scene, and the only directions that they received were to 'walk towards the camera, and look like you're in love'. Easy enough, Ian thought.

As Chaerin reached her spot beside him, Ian extended his hand towards her without much thought. It was only when he felt her soft palm safely tucked in his that he realised what he had done. He took a cautious glance to the left. Had she noticed..?

Chaerin had noticed, although she was extremely busy pretending that she had not. She pulled on her cropped jacket, fixed her jewellery, and adjusted her hair.. anything to distract herself from the warmth of his palm in hers. She felt his glances too, and quickly returned them with a smile. Be cool about it, Lee Chaerin!

In fact, over the past few months.. she had developed somewhat of an Ian radar. She's keenly aware of his presence anytime they're in each other's orbit. He could be in the opposite corner of a room, and she'd gravitate towards it, as if they were two halves of a magnet that couldn't be kept apart. She found herself looking at him way too much for her liking too, and has been so close to being caught so many times! Although she's sure her quick reflexes, poker face, and penchant for wearing sunglasses everywhere she goes have probably saved her from the utter embarrassment of being caught red-handed with her big, fat.. dare she say it.. crush.

Ian was enjoying this. Well if he were to be honest, the entire 5 Star shoot had been a blast so far. He had his crew with him, the weather was amazing, the locations were breathtaking, but most importantly, he could admire Chaerin as much as he wanted and no one would suspect a thing! His cheeks almost hurt from all the smiling he has done for the past few days. And even right now, he was just supposed to walk with Chaerin and hold her hand. This acting gig was definitely way easier than he thought it'd be. Maybe he's a natural at this?

"Should we.. skip?" Ian was jolted out of his thoughts by Chaerin.

"Skip? Like.. kids?" He asked.

"Yeah! You know, when they're happy? They'd hop around! Like this," Chaerin explained as she skipped away from him to demonstrate.

"Alright, let's do it," Ian said as he extended his right hand and waited for her to come back to him.

"Okay," Chaerin said as she ran back and took his hand.

It felt awkward to not be holding hands now. He likes the way the palm felt soft and squishy in his. She likes the habit he has of interlocking their fingers every time he holds her hand.

Ian was surprised at her icy cold fingers as his wrapped around them. No, her whole hand was too cold. He squeezed and held them tighter as he looked around. They have been shooting at this particular location for the past couple of hours and the cumulus clouds are turning the sky a light gray. Now that he was paying attention, he felt the wind picking up, and a chilly breeze caress his cheeks. It was getting pretty cold.

He took a worried glance at Chaerin, who was attentively waiting for the lights to be set around them. Her jacket seemed too small for her and was falling off her shoulder.. her tank top left much of her shoulders and décolletage exposed to the cold, while her skirt offered little warmth. It's no wonder that her hand was freezing!

He pulled up the corner of the jacket that was fast dropping and exposing even more of her bare shoulders.

"Chaerin, aren't you cold?"

"Oh, thanks! Kind of..? I think I'm getting used to it though."

Chaerin gave him a sheepish smile as her jacket quickly returned to its position off her shoulder.

"It's OK, it's a cropped jacket so.. it's kinda meant to be worn this way.."

Ian wrapped her hand in both of his in an attempt to restore some warmth to it. "But you're cold.."

Just then, the director approached. "Guys, let's take a short break, we have to grab some other lights from the car."

Ian nodded and quickly turned back to Chaerin. She was starting to shiver a little as the wind ran through her silver locks. Hmm.. this won't do.

"Take off your jacket," Ian said.

"Huh?"

"Just listen to me Chaerin." In a flash, Ian had his cardigan off his shoulder and around her bare ones. It enveloped her small frame. That should do it.

"Ohh it's really warm. Thank you.." Chaerin said as she put her hands through the sleeves of the cardigan. She could feel his residual body heat in the cardigan, which made it extra toasty and comforting with the way the wind was quickly picking up around them.

"Oh but what about you though??" She looked up to see Ian with a gentle smile on his face. He was left in a short sleeved t-shirt and already had his arms wrapped around himself.

"I'm fine, Australian winters are much worse than this and I'd walk around in a tee just like this.."

Chaerin was quite sure that he was lying, but felt a smile blooming on her face nonetheless. He's really sweet, she thought, as she looked down to hide her smile. Little did she know that the man in front of her was practically her mirror image right now. He too, was finding the gravel oddly fascinating as he tried to hide the foolish smile plastered on his face.

The hustle and bustle continued around the pair as the cold air blew. The crew tightened their jackets as they hurried. Everyone was in a rush to get somewhere warm, except for the pair in their own little world, oblivious to it all.

 


 

In a distance away, Scott and Harin stood side by side as they observed the two. They exchanged knowing glances as Harin hardly held in a giggle. At this point, they might as well carry neon signs proclaiming "We're in love".

"I'm betting they're gonna be together by the end of the month. Tops," Scott said as he shook his head. Ian was so painfully obvious.. he never listens!

"A month? Two weeks tops," Dabin interjected.

"Loser buys a meal?"

"Deal"

Harin hid her laughter behind her sweater paws as the boys shook on it. Her guess? They might not even last two weeks. 🤭