Thank you

Stars & Oceans

The first time Chaerin felt butterflies was when he said, "you can do it, I'll help you".

It has been a while since she heard anyone say that.


---

It was a quiet night at the studio. The corridors were already dark, and only the faint buzz of the neon 'DPR' sign could be heard. The only room occupied in the space was Ian's. The team had long left for a well-deserved Friday night break, but there was nowhere else that Ian would rather be.

He was obsessively listening to the final mix of So Beautiful repeatedly, trying to decide if it was finally good enough for release.. if he was happy with it. Hmm was it the right choice to.. should he lower the volume of the trumpets towards the end?

"Chaerin, what do you think if I.. do you think I should lower the volume of the trumpets here?"

"Hmm.. I think it sounds great like this though? I like the preppy beat, it'll make an interesting contrast with the dark video that you were planning to make.."

"Really?"

"Yeah, it really sounds great, and people are going to love it, stop second-guessing it! I really, really, love it.."

"Honestly? You'd swear?"

"Yes!! A 100%!"

Ian locked eyes with his new friend, and felt an involuntary smile creep on his face as he saw the honesty in her eyes.

"Really..?"

"Yes!! Oh my g.. how do I prove it? You know what, I have this interview scheduled in November, I'll mention it then," Chaerin insisted.

"Aww, really? Are you sure Chaerin? I mean you don't have to.." Ian wasn't sure if she was being serious. He was still wrapping his head around the fact that he could count the legendary CL as a friend now.. but the fact that she was wanted to go the extra mile for him.. it just doesn't feel all that real.. yet?

"But I want to. It's an amazing song, and you're an amazing artist that should be known by more people out there.. I'd be really happy to help, no, I want to help, and I'll help," Chaerin said as she stood up from the sofa in his studio, absentmindedly adjusting the earphones that she was listening to.

She was hanging out in Ian's studio after the meeting that they had earlier in the day for her collaboration with Dabin. She needed a quiet place to think about her next release, and Ian's room felt extra cozy to her with its carpets and plush sofas. The owner too, felt exceptionally homely for her, if that made sense. They've spent the last few hours in comfortable silence, each busy with their own projects and thoughts, but quietly enjoying the company provided by the other.

Ian's smile was slowly.. and uncontrollably, reaching the crinkles at the corners of his eyes. In an effort to conceal it, he roughly rubbed his face and let his palm find its familiar resting place on his chin. Try as he might, he couldn't wipe the smile off his face.. it was very uncool of him, keep it together Christian Yu!

He looked at her through the fringe that has momentarily covered his eyes.

"Thank you," he said. Those two words seemed to fall awfully short of what he was feeling, and what he wanted to tell her. Her words have cause a warmth to bloom in his heart. 'Thank you' doesn't seem to do it justice, but the same time, they were the only words that came to his mind at this moment.

"You're very welcome," Chaerin replied as she sunk into the chair beside him, quickly pressing play on the track she had playing on the phone for the umpteenth time.

She, on the other hand, was obsessively listening to the final mix of her new song, 5 Star. She loved it, there was no doubt about that, and she wanted the world to hear it.. but.. was it too risqué? Would her fans like it? It's very different from all the songs that she has released so far and she'd be lying if she said she wasn't the slightest bit worried about how it would be received.

Chaerin stared at the computer screen pensively as 5 Star played on the earphone that hung on her right ear. She bit her lips as she lost herself in her thoughts, oblivious to the curious looks that Ian have been throwing her way ever since she sat beside him.

"Whatcha doing there?" Ian asked.

"Just thinking about 5 Star," she replied, "I can't really decide on the concept for the music video actually."

"Oh, you don't have a concept in mind yet?"

"No, I mean, I do.. but, I'm just not sure if it'd be a good idea, you know?" she answered as she took out the earphone and turned to face him. Somehow, she knew that she needed to talk this over with someone, and what better person to discuss this over with than a video director like Ian? It was his creativity that drew her to the DPR crew in the first place after all.

"Oh, let's hear it! What sort of video were you thinking of making?"

"I.. really wanted to capture the feeling of falling in love. Of being in love, actually. Because in essence, that's what 5 star is about. Love.." Chaerin trailed off.

"But, I'm not sure if that'd be OK for me to do? I've never done a video like that you see.. a sweet love story? Like a romantic comedy?" she continued. "Would people enjoy seeing me be in love for a video? There's this whole stigma that idols can't.. I mean, I'm an ex-idol I guess but.."

"Chaerin, love is universal," Ian replied. "So yes, I'm sure people would love to see you in love. Everyone loves to see people in love. It's a good boost of endorphins! Makes people happy you know, like looking at puppies.." Ian said with a shrug.

"Puppies??" She said incredulously with a giggle.

"Yes! I swear I read that somewhere, let me pull up the article.." Ian said as he pulled up a browser window.

"Do you really think it'd be OK?" Chaerin was still unconvinced. "And who am I going to shoot the video with? I'd have to hire an actor? Who would I get..?"

"An actor?"

"Yeah, my vision was to have the music video be a series of dates? Just several scenes of a couple being in love.. an us-against-the-world kind of thing.."

"Hmm.."

"Hey! You're a director aren't you? You must have someone that you could recommend?" Chaerin turned to Ian excitedly.

He glanced at her. "Well no, I don't usually work with actors.."

"Oh.. OK.." Chaerin let out a sigh. "It's a silly idea isn't it? Ugh I'm digging my own grave here.. I don't even know how to act!"

"No, honestly Chaerin, it's a great idea. And I'm sure all the buzz from the video will really help the song too, I mean, all the reporters will be all over it! 'CL in love'.. I can already see the news articles," he said.

"Really?"

"Yes, I really think you should do it. Stick with your vision, and believe in it.. trust your gut. Don't let your worries drown out that inner voice," Ian reassured her.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, really."

"Honestly, I'm not sure if I can pull this off.. I mean, I'm used to being strong in front of the camera. That's like.. second nature to me. But being in love.. I'm not really sure I could.." Chaerin doesn't know what it was about Ian that made her feel so comfortable with him. Somehow, he felt like someone safe to share her worries with. He felt.. familiar. As if they had known each other for a very long time. In another life perhaps? It has merely been a couple of months since they have actually met, but they became friends so quickly, and she.. trusts him. It feels safe. This feels safe.

"You can do it. I'll help you," Ian said as their eyes met.

"You will?" Chaerin felt it then. A feeling that she hasn't felt in a long time. Flutterings in a her stomach.. a warmth in her heart. She couldn't stop the smile from growing.

"Yeah I want to, how should I help? It'd be a tight squeeze in the schedule if I were to direct but.." Ian trailed off as he ran his hands through his locks. He could rearrange a few things to make it happen. He really wanted to help her. Be there for her. He wanted to help turn her dreams into reality.

"I'll do the video with you," Ian blurted out. It was as if a secret desire has bubbled up to the surface, and he couldn't stop the promise from escaping his lips.

"Really??" Chaerin couldn't contain her excitement either. Her voice rose an octave or so as she confirmed the offer.

"Yeah, I mean if you want to.." Ian looked away sheepishly as he fiddled with his fringe, a habit that he goes back to when the nerves get to him.

"You mean you'll act in it with me right? Do I have to record this or something? You can't take this back tomorrow okay?" Chaerin was already fumbling for her phone to record some proof of their current conversation. She wasn't going to let him back out of it!

"Yeah, I really want to help, Chaerin. Scout's honour. I'm not taking it back, don't worry," Ian said with a laugh as he watched her fuss with her phone, trying to find her voice recording app.

"Really really?"

"Yes. Yeah, let's do it," Ian said with a smile.

"Wow, really? I mean.. can you even act?" Chaerin teased with a mischievous smile.

"Wow.. getting picky now huh?" Ian retorted as he raised his eyebrows. His left hand was back to cupping his chin, and hiding his smile as he took a quick sideway glance at the giggling girl beside him.

"No no I'm kidding! I can't believe this.. wait are you absolutely positive? You're sure?" Chaerin held his arm as moved closer to focus on his face.

"Yes Chaerin.. yes.. I'm sure.." Ian said as his hand continued to try its best to hide that ever growing smile. "Now stop asking before I change my mind."

"I recorded that by the way, so no backing out now!" Chaerin triumphantly declared.

"No I won't, really, trust me," Ian said as he turned to her.

Chaerin broke into a smile as she saw the honesty in his eyes.

The clock ticked by, and Ian had turned back to the computer, determined to find the article on endorphins, love, and puppies.

Chaerin found herself quietly looking at her friend. It has been a while since she felt this. Companionship. Friendship. Trust. Support. Warmth. And if she were to be honest.. butterflies too.

"Thank you," she said. Those two words seemed awfully inadequate to express her thanks for all the warmth that he had stoked in her heart. And yet, those were the only ones that came to her mind at the current moment.

Perhaps, with time, both Ian and Chaerin would find other words to tell each other.