Mornings

Stars & Oceans

Ian paces outside the bathroom door.

She has been in there for what seems like hours (actually it has only been about 10 minutes). Is she ok? She should be.. Should he ask? Maybe not? He should give her some space. Yes that seems to be the right thing to do.

He goes to the sofa and sinks into its plush covers. Ian takes out his phone and mindlessly scrolls through his Instagram feed, keeping an eye on the bathroom door that is still tightly shut.

What is she doing in there and why is it taking so goddamn long?

The earliest sunlight illuminates the room as day breaks. He had spent a busy night editing with Chaerin right beside him, peppering him with questions on the editing software he's using.. video effects.. and then she started yawning.. and leaning on his shoulder. He let her nap for a bit on his shoulder.. but he figured it would be best if they took a break for the night (day).

The dark sky was slowly turning a beautiful blue, and he gently shook her awake.
"Chaerin, chaerinah.. let's take a nap?"

"Hmm? Oh it's already 5am.." Chaerin stretched as she awoke.

"Yeah it's late.. let's get some rest? I'll send you home later in the day. I don't think I can drive right now," Ian said as he stifled a yawn.

"Sure, I just need to, get all of this stuff off my face.. I can't sleep properly with it on," Chaerin said as she picked up her bag and headed towards the bathroom.

"Al..right.." Ian replied as he shut down his computer. Wait a minute. Did she say she was going to..? Remove her makeup? He was just registering what she said, blame it on a post-editing, fuzzy morning brain.

Don't get him wrong, Chaerin is drop dead gorgeous with her makeup on. Her signature thick eyeliners.. eyelashes.. he loves it all. But some days.. he wonders what she looks like underneath all of that. He has been looking forward to the day when he'll be honoured with her trust, when she'd feel comfortable enough to share herself in her most vulnerable form.

It seems like today might be the day?!

That brings us back to an anxious Ian, who has been impatiently staring at the bathroom door for the past 15 mins as sunlight streams into the room.

Is she ok..?

Ian stands up and slowly makes his way to the door. He knocks.

"Chaerin? Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm coming out!"

The door cracks open a tiny bit, and a fluffy white towel makes its appearance.

"Chaerin?"

"Hmm.." she mumbles from behind the towel.

"Hey, babe.." he holds the hands that are tightly clutching the towel, and lowers them down.

Her shy, bare, face greets him with a tentative smile, and he pretty much lost all brain function then.

"Uhm.. hi.. I look very.."

"You look very pretty," he cuts her off before she could let her insecurities get the better of her.

Her smile grows into a full giggle, and soon enough, both of their laughters could be heard echoing through the apartment.

He tucks a stray strand of hair behind her ear as he hugged her close.

"You're beautiful," he whispers.

"So beautiful?" she counters with a giggle as both of them burst into infectious laughter.

"No, stop! I'm trying to be romantic here," Ian chides.

"Well, you're beautiful too.." Chaerin replied as she looked away, too embarrassed to look at him as she blushed.

Ian couldn't stop looking. Head's empty, just full of Chaerin right now. She looked so adorable like this, and just when he thought he couldn't possibly love her more, she hits him with one of those eye smiles of hers.. that looks even more adorable when her eyes are not hidden under those layers of lashes.

Her eyes, her nose, her lips.. oh and that mole! He could see it clearly now. Just begging to be..

"This is not ok. Chaerin, you should never take off your makeup anywhere else, do you hear me?"

"What?"

"I mean, you can't show this to anyone else ok? Just.."

"Whaat," Chaerin exclaimed as she held in her laughter. Her boyfriend was clearly flustered. Has she broken him? What is he saying?

"Just don't, I mean, from now on, always wear makeup when you're coming over to the studio," Ian stresses.

"But I always do," Chaerin said as she lets a giggle escape. "And you know I always end up doing the opposite of what people tell me to do.."

"Well I know.. but I just don't want anyone else to see my baby like this.." Ian let out a resigned sigh as he enveloped her in his arms and softly rubbed the back of her gray locks.

"They won't," Chaerin mumbled as she nuzzled Ian's neck, his familiar smell comforting her like a warm cup of tea on this cold winter morning.

She could get used to this, she thinks. Watching the dawn break over the Seoul city skyline from his penthouse apartment.. a warm hug.. a beautiful man.. HER amazing, kind, gorgeous man.. yes, she could definitely get used to this.