Chapter 3

Lies

Dara's POV

 

It's late when knocking wakes me. Hints of dawn light slip past the curtain edges casting shadows across the plain white walls. Being almost blown up, tortured, and interrogated warrants a sleep-in. But apparently it's not going to happen.

 

I sit up slowly, pushing my hair out of my face, being careful of the butterfly bandages on my forehead and other assorted bruising. Meanwhile, Jiyong is already moving toward the door, gun in hand. I didn't even realize he'd been in bed with me. He wasnt there a few hours ago when a nightmare woke me. It's bizarre, how comfortable he seems with the weapon, as if it's merely an extension of him. His grip on it eases at the sight of whoever's in the hallway, and he gives me a nod to say it's okay.

 

Sleep hasn't solved anything. He still seems like a stranger wearing Jiyong's face. More now than ever. I don't know if I'll ever get used to looking into those hard brown eyes.

 

"G dragon." The man who enters is tall and lean, with black hair and brown skin. Late twenties, I'd guess. He's got on a sharp suit with a white shirt open at the collar and he'secarrying a wealth of shopping bags. Also, he's pretty. "And this must be your beautiful fiancée."

 

I pull the collar of the robe closed over my ample cleavage because hello.

 

"This is Top," Jiyong says to me, tucking the gun into the waistband of his jeans. His feet are bare and so is his upper body. The scars are once again on display.

 

He used to insist on having in the dark and always locked the bathroom door when he took a shower. I just figured he had the market cornered on inhibitions. Who hasn't got flaws? But after all of the excuses he used to keep me at a distance, to keep himself covered, it's strange to see them exposed. And it's a definite; I still want to hit him for all the lies and assorted bull he pedaled throughout the duration of our relationship.

 

He stands beside the bed, keeping his body partly between me and the stranger, despite saying, "He's a friend."

 

Top smiles. "Didn't you once tell me there were no friends in this business?"

 

The edges of Jiyong's lips rise slightly in agreement.

 

"Hi," I say.

 

Top drops the shopping bags on the end of the bed. The bulk of them appear to be labeled Neiman Marcus. "For you, Dara. Some clothes and so on. He gave me your measurements so everything should fit. It's a pleasure to meet you. I've been wanting to for a while now, but someone had you declared strictly off-limits."

 

"It was for her own good. And I said to pick up a few things," says Jiyong, sounding disgruntled. "Not empty the damn store."

 

"The personal shopper needed the commission and you can afford it. The replacement ring is in the little blue bag. I picked that one out myself."

 

Jiyong groans. "Do I even want to know?"

 

"Probably not." The man squats, sorting through the pile of bags with ease. And sure enough, a Tiffany-blue bag yields a ring box. "I suppose you should do the honors."

 

Without comment, Jiyong takes the box, sitting on the bed beside me. I can't read the expression in his eyes. But he grasps my hand lightly, sliding the rock onto my ring finger. The diamond is huge and it fits perfectly.

 

"I thought we weren't telling anyone about-" I start to say.

 

"You can trust Top. If anyone asks, the story is that you took your old ring off while you were doing work around home yesterday morning. That's why you weren't wearing it when the explosion hit."

 

"That would have proposed properly, got down on one knee and done it right. A square-cut diamond of five carats with a platinum band," announces Top. "What do you think, Dara?"

 

"Wow."

 

"I think she likes it," he says with a smile. "I have excellent taste." Much irrate grumbling from Jiyong. 

 

"You're buying her affections with my money. I'm supposed to be a low-level suit. How the hell would I have afforded that?"

 

"The only people that ring is meant to fool already know you're not just a low-level suit. Let her enjoy the rock."

 

"It's beautiful, Top. Thank you."

 

The man gives me a brief smile. "You're very welcome, Dara."

 

"And thank you for picking up the clothes. I keep forgetting everything I owned has been blown up." The thought is both horrible and sobering, remembering exactly how much I've lost. Not that any of it was worth a lot.

 

But the sentimental value...like my favorite T-shirts, for instance. Cherished books with cracked spines and worn pages. The beloved old record player and collection of vinyl I inherited from my grandfather. Just all the bits and pieces that made up my life. Though I know it's only stuff, and I am happy to be alive.

 

"You backed up your photos, right?" asks Top. I nod

 

"That's something, at least."

 

"Yeah," I say, not quite convinced.

 

Top clears his throat. "I take it you heard about CL?"

 

Jiyong nods. "She was a good agent."

 

"I know you two were close. We have to find this bastard. Now."

 

"Daesung's tracing access of any and all files relating to us. Anyone left kicking from jobs she and I did together. Someone who might hold a grudge."

 

"Whatever's out there, he'll find it," says Top.

 

So CL was a she, and she and Jiyong were close. Interesting. I'm not sure if I care if he cheated on me or not. No, I do. The mere thought stings.

 

I drag the closest bags over to me, pushing aside layers of wrapping to get to the goodies. Some basic makeup, skin care, hair stuff, and tampons. An assortment of clothes, such as jeans, T-shirts, and a warm jacket, along with a pair of sturdy yet fashionable boots. Very nice.

 

The fancy lingerie I could have done without, however. Nothing wrong with sensible, comfortable, uny grandma . Especially in my current predicament. Not that Jiyong is prone to getting carried away at the sight of me scantily clad. Another dead giveaway about the validity of our romance. I'm such a fool.

 

"So what, you're all ex-military or something?" I ask, in the hopes that information will make me less of an idiot. At least pertaining to this particular situation.

 

"We're recruited from all over the place. It's not really something we can talk about." Top leans against the wall, arms crossed. "No one's attempted mixing real life and work before. You being here is quite a first."

 

"I don't know hovw real it was, considering Jiyong lied to me about everything," I say. "But this is your life? What happens later? Do they expect you to just disappear into retirement and never discuss what you've done or the things you've seen?"

 

"Pretty much. Though retirement's not usually an issue," he drawls.

 

"Few of us live that long. Governments adore handing over the hard cases to people it deems expendable with complete deniability.

 

Jiyong's eyes tighten. "That's enough. You're scaring her."

 

"I'm not scared," I lie.

 

"Sorry," says Top, heading for the door. "I'll give you two lovebirds some privacy."

 

"Thanks for all this, Top."

 

"Anytime, Dara." He winks before slipping silently out the door.

 

The room goes quiet and it's just us again. It takes me a moment to find my voice. For my brain to make sense of all the new snippets of information.

 

"How many times did you nearly not make it home?" I ask, fussing with the tiny satin bow of a thong I'll never wear. "The truth, Jiyong."

 

"Often enough to be thankful every time I walked back through the door. Remember when I said the ceiling had caved in on me when I was doing a fire-damage assessment in Idaho?"

 

"I remember complaining when you were back at work in two days, before the stiches had even healed over."

 

"You should have seen the other guy" He shrugs. "But I'm good at what I do. Try not to worry."

 

"Easy for you to say."

 

"I should check in with Daesung." Jiyong rises to follow Top, grabbing a shirt off the floor. "I'll bring back some food and coffee."

 

"Okay,"

 

He just stops for a moment, studies me.

 

"What?"

 

"You're handling this well."

 

I laugh. "Oh, really? Because inside my head, I'm basically alternating between this freaked-out, endless, high-pitched screaming noise and an all-consuming need to kill you for all the ing lies."

 

"Huh. Well, it doesn't show too much so..good work." He just watches my face, his own impassive. But then Jiyong's always been what you'd call detached. Another strike against our faux romance. 

 

"I know this is difficult, Dara, trusting me after everything. But I'm your best chance of getting out of this alive."

 

"And yet you're the reason I'm in this situation."

 

He says nothing.

 

"You're right; it's very hard to trust you."

 

A nod. "I'll be back soon."

 

As I told Seungri, I met Jiyong in a bar downtown one particularly crappy Saturday night. The thing is, it was all my fault. Exactly how bad my day had been. A bride had smilingly asked what floral arrangements I'd have if it was my wedding. Just being friendly-like. With my usual unthinking need to please, my mouth opened and it all came out. Peony roses. Lily of the valley. Everything I'd ever wanted for myself. She leapt at my ideas and accordingly, I'd just spent the whole day making all of my dreams come true for someone else's wedding. And it looked more amazing than l'd ever imagined. Damn me for being good at my job.

 

A more reasonable person wouldn't have minded sharing. It was only some stupid bouquets and boutonnieres after all. Table arrangements and so on. But for some reason I minded. A lot.

 

I was twenty-five then, had never had what I would term a serious boyfriend, and felt like utter and complete . No amount of vodka and sodas was going to make it better, but I was willing to try. That's when Jiyong found me. And how he'd insinuated himself into my life with such minimal effort. Because on that particular day, I'd given up. I didn't truly believe I deserved any better than a half-hearted love with a nice-enough guy.

 

Melodramatic and drunk are never a good combination. Eventually I came to my senses, of course, and realized someone's clothes hanging alongside yours in the closet didn't a relationship make. That was about four or five weeks ago. A quick learner, I am not.

 

I dress in a pair of skinny blue jeans, knee-high boots, and a black tee. I tie back my hair in a low-slung ponytail. Loose enough so it doesn't irritate my headache and assorted wounds. Even if I'm not tough like Minzy, at least I can appear mildly capable. Maybe.

 

Nothing I can do about the butterfly bandages, but concealer hides the worst of my bruising. The black winged eyeliner and mascara I apply make me feel a bit more normal even if my life is spinning out of control. When it comes to makeup, I don't tend to bother with the natural look. I prefer a 1960's vintage vibe. Give me Sophia Loren with her hips and espousing the glory of pasta and wine. She knew what was what. There are way more important things than having a tiny waist. Take loving yourself and enjoying life, for instance.

 

As for the rest of the shopping, I condense it into the duffel bag also provided and also designer. The tag says it was purchased for the bargain price of only three thousand dollars. Top definitely enjoyed burning through some of Jiyong's money. At any rate, it feels good to get dressed and organized. Like I might actually have a little control in this insane situation.

 

Coffee doesn't arrive within a reasonable amount of time. Therefore, it's time to go in search of some. Jiyong would probably prefer I stay hidden away. But I hate having no idea what's going on out there. And with half a day's distance between me and the whole interrogation thing, I've built up enough courage to go exploring.

 

No sign of anyone in the hallway. Scuffed terracotta tiles lead off in both directions. The quiet rumblings of conversation are coming from the left, however, so that's where I go. Curiosity compels me to stick my head in any open doorways along the way. Only a bare mattress and some bedside tables in the next room. And the one after that. still no pictures, personal items, or anything resembling actual signs of habitation. Voices float down the hallway uninterrupted. I am totally creeping up on a bunch of spies. Go me in stealth mode.

 

Hang on. 

 

A suspicious-looking stain marks the beige carpeting outside a closet door in the second room. Someone's left their mark. With them curtains pulled, leaving the room in shadows, the stain appears black maybe. Or dark brown. But the closer I get, the less sure I am about that. A metallie tang fills the room, the rich scent of copper, and my stomach turns over queasily. I have a bad feeling about this.

 

Seems the closet hasn't been fully shut, the topmost edge of a boot is sticking out. I should call for Jiyong. Reverse and get the hell away from this. Only, what if whoever it is bleeding out on the floor isn't dead yet and my delay is what kills them?

 

Oh, God.

 

With a shaking hand, I grab the handle, pulling the door open. 

 

The body inside is dark and bloody and awful. Same goes for the knife sticking out of his chest. It stinks of all sorts of bodily fluids left to rot, and I swallow down bile. Puking again is not the answer. I've never seen a dead body before. My eyes can't look away while my brain doesn't know what the to do with the awful information. Probably I should tell someone. Yes. Right. That makes sense.

 

"Jiyong?" I say, my voice weak and useless. I take a step back, followed by another. Not panicking, because panicking won't help. "Jiyong!"

 

Footsteps, more than one pair, race down the hallway. Then firm hands are grabbing my shoulders, pushing me gently out of the way.

 

Jiyong takes in the contents of the closet and sighs. "It's Seungri."

 

Someone swears behind me.

 

"Should you, ah, check if he's alive?" I ask.

 

"No one loses that much blood and gets up again." He looks back, taking in those assembled. More people have apparently joined the party while I was sleeping. Minzy and Daesung are still here. But there's also a short blond Thor-like individual and a woman with cool red hair.

 

"Wasn't me," says Minzy. " He was alive and well, if somewhat unconscious when I dumped him in the last bedroom down the hall yesterday. Wasn't there when I went to check on him later, so I figured he'd slunk off somewhere to get away from G dragon."

 

"G dragon and Seungri got into it?" asks the redhead.

 

"I gave him a warning, that's all." Jiyong's jaw tightens. "This is not good."

 

"Roger that," says the big blond man.

 

Daesung's eyes are red, his fingers constantly tapping against his side. God knows how long he's been going hard at it with his search engines and energy drinks. He's younger than the others, wiry and wired. "So I'm just going to come right out and say what we're all thinking. It's one of us."

 

"Possibly," says Jiyong. "Probably, even. If someone breached our perimeter, then they wouldn't have just taken out one of us. They would've kept going. At least, that's what I would have done. It feels like someone's picking us off for fun. Plus the security system on the house hasn't shown any sign of other entries."

 

The Thor dude turns to me, holding out a hand. "Hey. You must be the fiancée. I'm Taeyang."

 

"Dara."

 

His grasp is gentle, his gaze serious.

 

"I'm Bom," says the redhead, wiggling her fingers at me with only vague interest. She's wearing a little green dress with a large knife strappeda to her thigh. "With two down that still leaves six of us alive as possible suspects. Seven if we count Dara."

 

Jiyong takes up position standing in front of me, hiding me from view. Guess his protective instincts are real. Or at least they seem to be.

 

"This is real bad. Nothing against y'all, but I'm relocating until further notice." Daesung shakes his head and wastes no time squeezing past Minzy and Top to get out the door.

 

"Try one more time to get that message through to HQ before you leave," orders Jiyong. "If they're cutting coms until this is sorted, we all need to know now."

 

Bom frowns. "Those ers."

 

"Nothing like a little loyalty to let you know where you stand," says Top. 

 

No one seems to disagree with the sentiment.

 

"Complete deniability. It's safe to assume there'll be no help from on high." Jiyong gives me a quick glance over his shoulder. He doesn't seem worried exactly, but he's not happy either. "Let's not forget the job. We need to figure out whoever this is and stop them before we all wind up dead."

 

Minzy rolls her eyes. "A rousing, spirit-raising speech as always, GD."

 

Instead of answering, he grabs my hand and leads us back to the room we'd been using. He points to the packed duffel sitting on the bed. "This, everything?"

 

"Yes."

 

The duffel bag goes over his shoulder and he takes off in long strides down the hallway, leading me into an attached garage. Two vehicles sit waiting. A sleek Lamborghini and a bulky SUV. He, of course, bundles us into the SUV. No y sports car for me. A pity. I'd like to ride in something like that before I die. Because it's feeling like that may not be so far off.

 

"I can put on my own seat belt." I smack his hands out of the way. "Jesus, Jiyong."

 

He deposits my bag in the back, withdrawing a jacket, pistol, and an extra magazine from some hidey-hole back there before closing the door. Every move he makes is swift, economical. Graceful in a way. The gun goes into the waistband of his jeans, the mag in a pocket, and the garage door starts rising. While doing something on his cell, he slips into the driver's seat and turns on the engine. 

 

Old Jiyong was at it, but this Jiyong can clearly multitask and then some. I bet he could juggle knives if I asked him.

 

"Are we going to die?" I ask, just making conversation.

 

Gaze on the rearview mirror, he backs out the vehicle. "You're not going to die."

 

"But you might?"

 

"Do you care?

 

"Honestly, I don't know." I laugh.

 

Nothing from Jiyong.

 

"I need to call Hwangbo and let her know I'm okay."

 

"Dara, it's not safe for you to be contacting anyone. Not right now. Not Hwangbo. Not family. Not anyone."

 

"Everyone at work will be wondering where I am." I frown. Mom would tell me it causes way more wrinkles than smiling, but it seems to me that being forced to abandon your life and possibly face an early death is worth a line or two. "Surely we can at least get a message to them that I'm alive."

 

"Too risky."

 

"But they must be so worried." My throat tightens, my eyes burn. "God, this is insane. There's nothing we can do about it right now," he says, voice firm. "Just try and stay calm."

 

Easy for him to say. My mind won't stop racing. Fear apparently makes me chatty. Or maybe some part of me thinks more information will make this situation easier to get a grip on. "So you're in charge of the zoo? They all seem to look to you for direction, follow your orders."

 

"Im the current most experienced operative."

 

"Who's CL? Was she your real... Forget it. I don't want to know."

 

We speed away from the house on dirt roads, dust rising all around us and the sun beating down. No idea where we are. No idea what's going to happen. And the scent of blood still fills my lungs. The visual of Seungri's corpse remains lodged inside my mind.

 

"Calm your breathing, Dara. I don't have time for you to have a panic attack right now."

 

The 's got a point. My chest is heaving. A sheen of sweat covers my whole body. He turns up the air-conditioning, blasting me with cold air. It helps a little. So does taking long, slow breaths.

 

"Never seen a dead body before," I say quietly.

 

"I know."

 

"Did you kill him?"

 

He glances over at me, his mouth a firm line. "No."

 

"All right." I nod. It probably makes me an idiot, but I believe him  anyway. "Why am I still alive? I was asleep just a couple of rooms down, with no one between me and Seungri. It would have been easy"

 

"The killer would have no reason to want you dead at this point. Whoever it is has probably marked you as a strategic liability, thinking it will be easier to deal with me if I need to focus on protecting you." 

 

 

 

--

 

Chapter 3 is up! Hope you're enjoying the story as well 😀😀