Lightweight

You and I as songs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The slightest words you said have all gone to my head, I hear angels sing in your voice. When you pull me close feelings I've never known, they mean everything and leave me no choice. Light on my heart, light on my feet light in your eyes I can't even speak, do you even know how you make me weak? I'm a lightweight, better be careful what you say with every word I'm blown away, you're in control of my heart. I'm a lightweight, easy to fall, easy to break with every move my whole world shakes, keep me from falling apart.

Lightweight - Demi Lovato

A/N: Listen to Lightweight, the song that inspired this chapter, here: Lightweight by Demi Lovato

...

So here is where you have been hiding, huh? - Sooyoung said, entering the room. The woman was holding a food container and chopsticks in her hands.

 

Joohyun was currently at the office of the attendant of her department, surrounded by notes, while munching a sandwich. She and the rest of the neuro residents knew that the attendant was in a conference in the states so they had been taking turns, using the room as a place to study, knowing that it was safe and free from distractions.

 

At least it “was”... considering that Sooyoung had just discovered her. 

 

Joohyun decided to just ignore the girl and keep her focus on her notes. That was the only time available for her to study during the day, and she surely wouldn’t waste it falling in the trap of starting a conversation with Sooyoung.

 

Your admirers are in tears at the cafeteria, waiting for you. - she said. 

 

The woman had sat by one of the chairs in the room, and was eating her food, while watching Joohyun like a hawk. 

 

I don’t know what you are talking about. - Joohyun just said, keeping her eyes on her notes.

 

Sooyoung snorted.

 

Unnie, your “I am oblivious” mask doesn't work on me.

 

Is that so?

 

Uhum.

 

Ok, then.

 

Silence.

 

People in the cafeteria were taking bets, you know? wondering how you would reject your admirers today.

 

Joohyun looked up from her notes, and stared at Sooyoung annoyed. She wanted to ask her to shut , but knew that it would be useless. 

 

Dr. Kim and Dr. Sung from cardio were about to throw fists at each other because of you the other day…

 

Joohyun sighed.

 

And there is also Junmyeon oppa! He is a good catch, you know? He is not an egocentric son of a , with a god complex, which is quite rare, considering that he is from neuro. - Sooyoung smiled, making sure that she understood the jab. - He is also rich and handsome, and happens to be interested in you. He has been asking about you non stop, you know.

 

Joohyun knew that her best option was to let the girl ramble and ramble until she got tired, so she just kept shut and her eyes trained on her notes, even though she hadn’t been able to memorize a thing ever since the woman entered the room.

 

So, Unnie… take you pick.

 

Are you the hospital matchmaker? - she muttered, annoyed. 

 

What can I do? They all know that we are friends, so they keep coming to me for information about you and I am starting to get tired of it.

 

Joohyun found it hard to believe that someone would be able to annoy Sooyoung, the woman surely would ruin that person’s life.

 

I am pretty sure you can dismiss them.

 

I am pretty sure it would be easier if you just tell them that you’re not interested in it.

 

Joohyun scoffed.

 

I have been doing it ever since I started working here. - she hissed, annoyed.

 

She had tried. 

 

Joohyun had expected that things would be completely different, she was no longer a teenager, and wasn’t surrounded by teenagers anymore… She had expected that people would be too busy to care about her family and their fame status, she also thought that people wouldn’t give a damn about looks, or gossip, considering that their job was basically to save lives and that was quite burdensome, but god how wrong she was.

 

It was ten times worse than when she was in high school,even  worse than when she entered college. 

 

She was, somehow, involved in all sorts of gossip and romantic drama. 

 

It was flattering to be known as the goddess from neuro? It was… but damn, she was so done. She just wanted to do her job and stop receiving love confessions or listen to “funny” comments from senior attendants about how she was too pretty or looked exactly like her mother in some tv drama, also she would love to stop receiving dirty looks from the other female residents and staff from the hospital, who didn’t know her, and thought she was happy with all the unrequited attention she received from random men.

 

You should tell them you’re not interested in it… in men, to be specific. - Sooyoung said, nonchalant.

 

Joohyun was expecting her to come out with that subject sooner or later, considering their conversation a few weeks ago and her behavior of endless teasing.

 

Joohyun kept her eyes trained on her, not saying anything.

 

What? Don’t tell me that you didn’t realize that either?

 

Joohyun smirked, then went back to her notes.

 

You’re too old for this, unnie. 

 

For what? - Joohyun asked, gathering her notes.

 

It was clear that she wouldn’t be able to study anymore.

 

For not knowing what you want.

 

Joohyun snorted, then observed her friend attentively. She could tell that Sooyoung wanted to help, she just wished that the woman wouldn’t be so tactless. 

 

You really think you know something that I don’t, huh? - Joohyun asked, amused.

 

Sooyoung didn’t expect her unnie to say that, or to look at her with those affectionate eyes of hers, considering the subject they were discussing. 

 

Huh?

 

Your daily teasing… what you just said about me being too old to not know what I want… you seem to think that you know something that I don’t?

 

If you do know, why aren’t you doing anything!?

 

Joohyun smiled a little, but didn’t say anything else.

 

See? You are always like this, always guarded, always keeping everything to yourself meanwhile time is passing, precious opportunities are passing!

 

What opportunities are passing?

 

Stop playing dumb!

 

Joohyun sighed deeply.

 

I have never played dumb in my whole life, Park Sooyoung. - Joohyun replied, and her voice was hard. She was no longer taking that conversation lightly. - So, for god’s sake, speak your words clearly and without puzzles, or just leave me alone! 

 

Sooyoung sighed. 

 

The teasing, the inappropriate comments, your ridiculous matchmaking… everything. Just stop!

 

I will, just be honest with me once. 

 

I have always been honest with you.

 

You haven’t. You aren’t honest even with yourself.

 

Oh god… just tell me why. - Joohyun inadvertently whined.

 

Everything she wanted was to have her sandwich and study in peace.

 

Why what?

 

Why are we having this conversation now? Why are you acting so worked up toward me these past few days?

 

Because I am done watching you waste time! It’s urgent, now or never! You don’t have a single second left to waste!! - the woman replied, and she seemed very serious and agitated.  

 

What the hell?

 

Joohyun scratched her head. 

 

Once again the conversation they had about Seungwan came to mind, and how Sooyoung said that she was teasing her on purpose. Yes, she knew that she probably was caught by the girl, considering her comments and actions… But what did she want? a confession? What change would that make? Why was she so adamant in this subject? 

 

Why don’t you just speak your words once and for all? - Joohyun, tiredly, replied.

 

Sooyoung stood up from her chair and gathered her stuff.

 

You are ing in love with your best friend. - she hissed.

 

Joohyun snorted. 

 

And you think I don’t know that? - she just said, there was no point in denying. 

 

Sooyoung stared at her, evaluating. 

 

She clearly didn’t expect her to agree.

 

I’ve known it since I was 19, Park Sooyoung. Please, come up with something that I don’t know. - Joohyun replied, calmly, tiredly. 

 

Sooyoung nodded, recovering fast and accepting her words. 

 

Did you know, then, that she is considering her father’s offer? That offer that will make her move to the other side of the world to take over the U.S officer?

 

Joohyun kept shut. So that was the reason for all the nagging?

 

Did you also know that Mrs perfect, aka her boyfriend will also be appointed to a position there? Since you’re so smart, I bet you can see the pieces coming together and understand what her father will do next. 

 

So this is the reason for all your recent actions? - Joohyun asked, finally understanding.

 

I wanted to bring you out from the lethargic state you have been living in! Do something, Unnie!! There is no time left, because once she decides it is over.

 

Joohyun nodded, and smiled a little. 

 

It never even started, how could it be over.

 

Sooyoung, I was the one who told her to consider her father’s offer. - Joohyun said. 

 

Seungwan had come to her room a few months ago, fidgeting in place, with worried eyes, wanting to know her opinion about her father’s offer. The woman would be responsible for the U.S officer, which was brand new, and could finally show her best performance… Joohyun knew that she was capable. 

 

Besides, the woman had shared countless times that she was tired of dealing with scandals and shady business that their clients involved themselves with, since she was considered the prodigy in the company, those cases inadvertently gravitated around her. So the change of scenario would do good to Seungwan. 

 

As her friend, what other advice could she give to her? Of course she said to consider it, there it was no other advice available. 

 

WHAT. - Sooyoung shouted, outraged. 

 

She talked to me too. - Joohyun just said.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter