Chapter 3

Moonlight

Cold breeze gently touched keys cheek as he walked slowly enjoying the weather a little too much. His brown jacket perfectly kept him warm. The season was changing as his life. His backpack was light that filled with only the essentials for the day. He felt so light as well. He walked straight, not really paying attention to the group of guys coming in his way. As they came closer, they threw something at key. Key panicked and screamed. He hates when he is put in situations that happen so suddenly and is scary. He fell down as a result. 

 

" Aren't you a scary little guy? I thought you would be more brave". Someone in the group commented. 

 

" Told ya, all the nerds are like this. Are you scared? Huh?" the guy said, forcing key down when he tried to stand up. Taemin was taken back because he just wanted to throw the toy but the other guys were going a little more than he thought. But before taemin could do anything, someone shouted and they all ran away. Taemin hesitated a bit but before he ran off he helped key stand up. Yet he ran away like how he always did anyways. Let it be from his real self or anything that seemed not simple, all he did was run away. 

 

" What happened key? Who are they? Are you okay?" Onew asked. 

 

" I'm okay onew. I don't know who they are." key started picking up his bag from the ground. Onew helped him. 

 

Minho was waiting for onew for the last 15 minutes but onew was nowhere to be found. So minho decided to call and ask, but then he saw onew coming to the canteen with key and his friend was not looking so well,he rushed towards them.

 

" What happened? You don't look so pale." minho commented. 

 

" It's nothing. Just give some time for key, Minho." onew said and told minho to come with him. 

 

Onew and minho went to the counter to get something for themself. Onew ordered kibum some warm coffee and donuts. 

 

" Seems like noodles need to wait. Isn't it? "onew said while they were waiting to get their order. 

 

" Maybe next time. There will be a next time right? "minho put forward the question that was hanging in his mind, now weighing down both of them equally. 

 

" But why aren't you telling what happened? Key is also not telling me. "minho continued. 

 

" Minho, just give him some space for now. After he eats he will tell. He is startled and by now I can understand that you care too much but sometimes it's better to give some space for key too. " that startled minho because it was true and he didn't like it when it was all true. It felt like someone had to explain something so simple for him to understand especially when it's about his best friend. That obviously made the situation more awkward because minho stopped talking altogether and onew noticed that maybe he went too far. 

 

After receiving their order they went back to where key was sitting. They all ate in silence. For key, as the first sip of warm coffee entered his system, everything started to become normal again. It seems like he is dozing off but his thoughts were focusing on a certain squishy hand that helped him earlier. Key wouldn't call them guardians or anything, but those really did help him calm down and when he saw the beautiful smile in front of him again, giving an assurance that everything is okay now, key felt his heart strings pulling strongly. 

 

He remembered how their hands brushed when onew was helping him with his books. How onew was careful and took minho away before shooting him with millions of questions. He was so lucky to have minho but it really wasn't a good time and he needed to relax. But when onew understood him without even telling, key felt a weird tingling in his belly. Sitting together like this in silence was becoming a little awkward. So he turned his face to minho and saw really silent minho, which was weird. A silent minho is really dangerous and that means there's something wrong with him as if he is in deep thought. 

 

" Thank you onew for today. " key managed to say. 

 

" Don't say thanks for that. It's okay. Are you okay now?" onew asked. 

 

" Care to explain to me what happened?" minho interrupted. Key was a little relieved to see his friend in his usual self than the silent treatment he was getting. 

 

" Some kids pulled a prank on me. They threw a toy spider at me and I freaked out". 

 

" Did you see who did this? Let's complain about it" Minho said. 

 

" Are we in school minho? No. We won't. We are grown ups and I don't want to make it a big issue" key said. 

 

" It doesn't seem like a 'not-a-big-issue’ to me Kim kibum. Because you weren't okay 5 minutes ago. "

 

OH no. Key was in trouble. Real trouble this time because minho just called him by his full name, which only happens when he is really pissed. 

 

" I'm really okay minho. Just let it go once. Okay? For me. Please? "key said. 

 

" I will see". That's what minho said and anyone who knew minho would know that he meant the exact opposite of what he said. 

 

They all continued with their small lunch. Key’s attention went towards a kid in the other corner of the room. The kid was also looking right back at him.He wasn't wrong. Key recognized that kid as one among the bullies but this one helped him before running off. It was weird. Why would someone bully him and then help him? He may have stared at the kid for some time, because minho called him. 

 

" Where are you looking at? I was asking you something." minho said. 

 

" Sorry. What was it again?" 

 

" I said we should go back to our classes. The free time is almost over." minho replied. 

 

Minho and key went to their classes while onew sat there not knowing what to do. He was sure that he may have said a little more than he should have but considering how key was feeling, he couldn't help. Now that his date was a far dream and all the attraction he felt may need to be hidden for a while, he felt like a loser for interrupting two friends. He wanted to think about it more but then he saw jonghyun approaching him. 

 

" So how did it go? How is key?" Jonghyun asked while sitting down beside onew. 

 

" He is okay now jonghyun. Why did you call me, when you were there?I saw you standing there when I took key to the canteen. " onew asked. 

 

" He already doesn't like me and he really needed help. What if he didn't accept my help? Think about it. He really needed someone that time and I can wait until it's my time. "

 

" I don't think he would say no to you. You are just over thinking. "onew replied. 

 

" Thank you for coming as soon as I called you, onew. I didn't know he would panic so much "Jonghyun said. 

 

" Now you are even saying thanks to me because I helped key? What does that even make me? I'm your best friend jonghyun. Why am I feeling possessive? You better not abandon me. " Onew complained. It was true that he was feeling jealous but as he came to his senses, he realized maybe he needed to talk to minho since he must be feeling the same as him. 

 

Jonghyun didn't reply as he saw his friend in deep thought. He knew that nothing would be heard even if he talked now. So he waited until his friend's attention was on him again. But it was time for them to go. So they both went their ways because they can always talk later. There were so many unspoken things but there was always a next time. For both of them, it seemed like the next time would be better as they both struggled with things they could not speak at the moment. 

 

Minho wasn't any perfect student but he wouldn't let his attention anywhere else than the class usually. But today he was distracted. The kid key was looking at, and it didn't go unnoticed by him. He was sure that the kid had something to do with what's been happening. But in such a big campus, how was he supposed to find a guy only by his face? With curiosity came, restlessness. One reason being not knowing who bullied his best friend and the other being his helplessness as he couldn't be there for key. Or maybe it's the fact that he was too possessive that onew could understand his friend more than him. Or was it the fact that he was giving onew the silent treatment after they talked? Onew didn't really do anything wrong. It was him who made the whole situation bad and ruined what was possible for them. Probably they might talk but minho wasn't sure that it would be the same as before. 

 

Class ended even before knowing. Not because it was short. All because minho had lots to think about, it seemed shorter. If not for the excited sighs from his sleepy classmates, he would have believed that the class was shorter. He packed his stuff along with all his worries. Choi minho wouldn't leave anything to doubt or assumptions. He made his mind to find answers and find solutions even if it meant searching for an unknown person. 

 

Minho won't call it his luck. Maybe a coincidence? Because when he was walking in the corridor, he saw the same frame he saw in the canteen. But now that he saw, it was a small and lean figure but also sweating. The guy was filling water and later went inside a room that was labeled as a dance studio. Minho followed the guy. He was a man with an unusual amount of manners but not right now. That's why minho went inside the studio without knocking. 

 

Taemin had an eventful day. Thanks to his "friends" who went way beyond they should today with the bullying. He was guilty for coming up with the idea. He even saw the guy they bullied in the canteen. He wanted to go and apologize but he didn't. As always, he couldn't do what he wanted. That's how he ended up staying in the dance studio even after the class. He practiced the new dance routine for the last 2 hours but he sensed the presence of someone else and he turned back but was suddenly pinned against the wall and strong hands almost choking him while the others eyes spat fire. 

 

" Did you bully my friend today?" 

 

But taemin couldn't answer. Minho took his hands from taemin's neck and placed it authoritatively on taemin's shoulder. Taemin was shocked as well as taken aback by the others' actions. 

 

" Your friend?" taemin asked quietly. 

 

" Yes. My friend. I saw you both looking at each other in the canteen. Don't even try to do what you did again". Minho threatened, voice too deep that it could make anyone in the world tremble in fear but this was not anyone else. This was Lee taemin. He was one in a million and had never been the normal everyone was so fond of . He found this a little bit charming and taemin gulped but not in fear. Lee taemin loved extremes and the one who pinned him now may have thrown him into an ocean he was now drowning in,voluntarily.

 

" I'm sorry. I didn't mean it that way. My friends took it too far. I only planned to throw the toy. That's it" taemin said. 

 

" So you did initially plan. You started it. Now tell me why would you do that?" minho came closer to taemin as he was now driven by his anger. Minho’s round eyes and beautiful eyes looked straight at the younger.

 

Taemin, on the other hand, was strangely focused on the smell of minho's cologne. If taemin could, he would jump on minho right now but he was sure if he did that, Minho could tear him into pieces and honestly, he would allow if minho wanted that. They were two extremes and taemin could only focus on the face that was getting closer. He closed his eyes but regained his senses quickly as minho let go of him. The absence of warmth made him pouty but he didn't complain. 

 

" I'm sorry if I startled you. I didn't mean to scare you" minho said, looking calmly at taemin with worry. 

 

" It's okay. You didn't. And I'm really sorry. I want to apologize to your friend. Can you please give me a chance to explain?". Damn, taemin wanted to scream that he was anything but not scared. He was embarrassed that his little action was interpreted by the other as him being scared and he was disappointed. If only he could turn around the whole situation he would but was so relieved .

 

After talking properly, Minho was now calm and agreed that he will allow taemin to apologize to his friend. Minho didn't forget to ask the name of the guy and the class since he didn't want to search the whole campus to find him again. He even asked for taemin's id card, which taemin was more than happy to provide. It seemed like taemin wanted to be punished by the elder so badly that he even gave his number voluntarily. Leaving from minho's shadow was painful. Seeing minho's back leaving the room was even worse that taemin followed him till he exited the campus. For once, taemin wanted to be on the good side of someone and he didn't care about his reputation if it meant following this guy around all the time. 

 

Jonghyun came home late that day. He had lots to think about his previous actions. He realized that maybe if he helped key, he would have a better chance at being at his good side but it was too late. Munching on his dinner, Jonghyun checked his phone. He was looking at a certain contact he got from onew but was so scared to press the call button. 

 

Meanwhile onew was coming out from his room and saw jonghyun sitting by the dining table looking at his phone. He went and sat beside him. But jonghyun didn't notice that. 

 

" Hey jonghyun" 

 

" What the hell !!! Can't you make some noise. I just got a heart attack" Jonghyun said, putting a hand on his chest. 

 

" I'm sorry. Hehe. What are you eating?" onew asked 

 

" Oh, just yesterday's leftover. I'm so lazy to make anything now" Jonghyun replied. 

 

It was so evident that they both wanted to tell something but waited for each other to start the conversation 

 

" Onew, just cut this silence and tell me what's going on" Jonghyun said, turning towards his friend. 

 

" Actually jjong, I think I made it awkward with minho today. " onew said 

 

" Tell me what happened. You may be worrying for nothing. Tell me and let's find a solution." Jonghyun said, patting his friend's shoulder. 

 

" Key was not in a position to talk and minho was asking too many questions. So I told him key needs some time alone. After that he didn't talk to me much. It was awkward. He didn't even look at me. What did I do jonghyun?" 

 

" Remember how you felt when I said thank you to you? You said you felt possessive and didn't like it. Because I was saying thanks to you for helping key but between us that wasn't needed. Think about it now from minho's side. Seeing them, I realized that they are really close like us too. Minho was concerned for his friend and knowing from two days, I guess that's how minho shows his affection and when you told him to wait, he may felt uncomfortable to accept that. Because you came in between them too. Now you understand? But there's nothing you can do. You did nothing wrong too. So as minho. Why don't you message minho or call him? I think by now minho might also be waiting for you to do something. Who really can withhold the charm of my sweetest best friend. Huh? " Jonghyun said. 

 

" So you really think so? I'm just worried. It's the first time I feel this connection with anyone and I don't want to lose it without even giving it a try. Do you think minho will talk to me? " onew asked again. 

 

" He will talk for sure . He will. He must be stupid like you too. Must be worrying about the same thing. I can tell. Come here. What you need is a tight hug from the hottest guy in this world ". Jonghyun pulled onew and wrapped him in a warm hug while onew huffed. Onew leaned more into the warmth of his friend and smiled knowing that there is someone he can always share his worries. It helps when your best friend is the most practical and smartest person. 

 

After washing up, onew came to lie down in his bed. He wrapped himself in the warm blanket. But his mind wasn't comfortable yet. So he took his phone and messaged minho after gathering his thoughts. 

 

From onew, 

 

Hey minho. Still awake? 

 

From minho, 

 

Yes. Was just getting ready for bed 

 

From onew, 

 

Sorry for today. I think I came in between you two. Really sorry minho. 

 

Onew was nervous about minho's reply. He put his phone down and waited for the notification but it didn't come for the next 10 minutes. So onew decided to sleep when his phone rang. 

 

O : " Hello. Minho?" 

 

M :" Hey" 

 

O: " Why didn't you reply to me back? I thought you slept. Or may be angry at me?" 

 

M : " Why would I be angry at you? Key came to the room. So I had to talk. That's why. And I thought I would call you. Just wanted to hear your voice" 

 

O: " Missed my voice already?" 

 

M : " Kind of. And I also want to say sorry too" 

 

O: "Why? For what?" 

 

M: " For everything. You know what I'm talking about" 

 

O: " I don't think there's anything you should be sorry about minho. It's me who needs to apologize for coming in between you two and I know that you know key better than me. It wasn't my place to say things but I did. I'm sorry minho. Can you let it go once. "

 

M : " Oh no onew. You didn't do anything wrong. So I worried this whole day for nothing huh? I thought I did something wrong. It was me who avoided you when we had our date planned. I should be the one apologizing "

 

O: " Wait. What. So you thought I was upset? No. I could never be,minho. So all okay between us?" 

 

M : " Yes all okay. " 

 

O : " ah. You stupid. I got so scared. I thought we would never talk again" 

 

M: " Oh so who is stupid now? Aren't you over thinking a lot?" 

 

O: " So you called it a date. So date it is. Let's have a date tomorrow?" 

 

M : " Oh my God. That slipped by mistake. No it's not onew" 

 

O : " Oh so it's not?" 

 

M : " I don't know. Just don't tease me anymore." 

 

O :" I can sleep well tonight because of you minho" 

 

M : " ah. So disappointed. I wanted to steal your sleep but. I should work hard" 

 

O : " Maybe you don't need to. Anyways go and sleep minho. It's really late. Let's see tomorrow, then? " 

 

M : " okay then. Good night onew. Thank you for being so understanding. Sleep well. Dream of me" 

 

O : " Sure. I will. Make sure to come in my dreams or else get ready for your punishment" 

 

M : " I wouldn't mind punishment if it's from you though" 

 

O : "MINHOOOO . JUST GO AND SLEEP. GOOD NIGHT. I'M CUTTING THE CALL. BYE." 

 

Today was indeed confusing but as they both went to sleep, there was a smile lingering in their face. Opening up and sharing wasn't such a bad idea for them. It in fact made a strong base for whatever coming in their way. 

 

" Welcome everyone. A very good morning. It's another day. I hope you won't be too hard on yourself and give yourself more time to adjust in the new environment. It's too easy to get lost in the crowd if you don't figure out where exactly you are and where you want to go. It's not really necessary to figure those out in a fixed time frame. You can take your time and with a great passion, you will surely be able to be where you want to be. This has been your DJ jo. Muah "

 

Key came earlier on purpose to listen to this everyday. It's not a chore but he loved when his days started with the beautiful voice of an unknown radio jockey. He didn't get time to search for the owner of the voice yet. 

 

Classes were hectic and assignments were a lot . On top of everything, they had their first examination coming up. Everyone was busy with their own work. Only time they got was either lunch break or at night. Days passed faster.

 

" Hello key hyung. Here. I saved a seat for you" taemin said, pointing towards him. Key recognized taemin sitting there with his food waiting for him to join. Key went and sat down. After a few minutes, Minho joined them followed by onew and jonghyun. 

 

Things were going pretty well. It took almost 2 weeks for key to accept the apology from taemin. Key was shocked when he saw taemin coming up to him with minho because of the odd combination. He was thankful that taemin helped him but also he couldn't forget how the whole thing was taemin's idea. But taemin was also adamant and he was with key whenever he had time. They had lunch together almost every day. Taemin was a little hesitant at first with the new group of people but gradually ended up loving the company. But taemin was still an outsider but a lot closer than the first week. Key noticed taemin's special interest towards his best friend, the very first time he came. Occasional pouts that only appeared when minho wasn't present for lunch or when he was late made key's doubts stronger. Taemin was a lot softer than he looked. Key didn't want anymore proof for that when the boy was an open book. Just that others weren't reading it properly. So he took his time to study the cute guy a little more. 

 

" So after exams, it's said that there will be a semester break. What are you all going to do?" onew asked. 

 

"It's short and going home is really not an option. I just want to sleep the whole break" Jonghyun replied. 

 

" Can someone who thinks like a normal human can answer my question please?" onew . 

 

" We are also not going home. It would be such a waste of time . Traveling itself takes more time than staying. I was thinking about applying for internships." key said. 

 

"How about we all go on a vacation? A little get away?" minho suggested eyeing onew and onew replied with a shy smile which was caught red handedly by jonghyun. So he had no other option to agree so that his best friend could have a good time. Also considering he may get some time with key, he also agreed. 

 

" What about you taemin? Do you want to come? Are you free?" key asked. Key knows that taemin might feel like an outsider and maybe this getaway will allow them to be more closer and can ask taemin to confess to minho. 

 

“Can I come? If it's okay with everyone, I would love to tag along." taemin said, almost jumping when everyone nodded at the younger. Taemin's eyes shined so brightly and finally landed on a certain male and as a result of that, a really beautiful smile formed proving how beautiful the younger can be when he smiles. 

 

As everyone was having their own plans, Jonghyun was secretly wishing if he could get close to key. At least being a little closer than lunch buddies. Seeing key everyday so carefree and cheerful made him fall for key more. He strongly believed that he needed this key to unlock his feelings that he didn't know existed. But here he was, totally whipped and ready to plan a whole get away only to get some good moments that will be a start to so many beautiful memories if everything goes well and smoothly. 

 

************************************************************

Hey all, like I said somethings are changing after taemin came into their life. So many emotions and people involved now.hope you are enjoying the story so far. If you are, please do wait for the next updates too. 

Stay safe and take care