Chapter 1

Moonlight

Butterflies hovering over the flowers to have a little of its sweetness. Little birds  chirped as they looked at their mom feeding them their share of food. Kids were waiting for their school bus. There was a hint of rainbow and cheerness everywhere as the life moved faster and forward . But why would only his paused? That's what Kim Kibum thought and was really furious about just because his best friend decided to be late on their first day of college. 

 

8:15 am. Kibum checked his watch again. Another minute passed by making him lose the last bits of his patience. If there's any chance for anyone to make kibum mad, they wouldn't because no one wants to deal with a mad and angry kibum. But unfortunately, this rule doesn't even apply to his best friend who came exactly 18 minutes late now flaunting his new car. It wasn't luxurious but to be able to drive any car around when he is only a university student was something to be proud of. And that's what he did but kibum wasn't having any of that. Not when he was standing here just because his best friend and roommate decided to go back to their flat to take his lucky jacket. 

 

" Finally. ing finally Choi minho " kibum scoffed and went over to sit inside the car. To which minho just smiled knowing too well to not make the situation any worse. 

 

"so first day of college. huh? We really grew up alot. Still remember our first day at kindergarten? " minho asked, a smile forming on his face thinking that may be key will also smile but he wasnt. 

 

" If you don't want to be dead, start the car. We are already so late. Do you want to be late on our first day? Mr. Good for nothing, minho. " kibum practically screamed that on minho's face with a deathly glare. 

 

Choi minho needed no more hints for him to keep quiet and drive towards their new life which was gonna start in about 30 minutes. He was so glad that his best friend is with him in every new step he is taking. Maybe their love and attachment for each other won't be visible to anyone else but the underlying trust and respect they have for each other was so strong. 

 

As minho's red car rushed through the road, key's mood lighted up a little. As if the winds washed away all of his worries. Because there's no denying that he instantly feels better whenever he is beside his friend. Everything lighted up and kibum was filled again with the expectations of a great day and a new college year. New beginnings are always filled with nervousness and worries. But as they both have themselves, it felt easier.At Least they aren't left alone. 

 

They reached their destination not short after. The traffic wasn't terrible but still it was a close call. Key scolded minho on the way a lot so that they won't be late again anymore . They both packed their bags and checked if everything was in place and they walked towards where everyone was going. Both of them were surprised by the number of new students and the big posters and decorations that were there made for the welcoming of a new academic year. They walked side by side in awe and checking everywhere and anything. 

 

"Minho?" key said. 

 

"mmm?" 

 

"nothing" 

 

" What was that even about key? I know you want to say something. Just say it. " minho asked. 

 

"Do you think that.. Maybe we could meet the one?" key whispered as if he didn't want minho to hear it. 

 

"The one? Who?" minho asked. 

 

"You know. Maybe we can find someone we like and may be I can finally be free from your clingy ".

 

" Oh key. I know you love me so much and why do you need anyone else. You have me. I have you. I know that you love me too much to even think about anyone else." minho said mockingly while trying to hug the other. 

 

"No way minho. You are on your own. I'm on my own. And don't even pretend like we know each other. Now if you allow me, let me go. Have a great day. Don't make any problems. Be a good kid. Make me proud. " with that key gave his best friend a tight hug completely opposite to what his face was giving away. No matter what, key was glad that minho was still here with him even though he was annoying. 

 

" Good morning. Welcome to SWU.It's the first day of this new academic year. This is another milestone of your life. To everyone who is starting a new life, to those who are here to make their dreams come true, all the best. I hope you can learn and grow and most of all have the best time of your life. Feel comfortable to roam around and check the campus as there is so much to see. Don't worry. There are many volunteers assigned to help all of you and the presidents of each department will be there to lead you with the process. This is your special DJ jo. Hehe"

 

All of a sudden everyone at the campus became silent as they listened to the warm welcome they got from the campus radio. Maybe not for the message but for the mellifluous voice that seems to put everything and everyone on pause for some minutes.

 

 The best friends weren't an exception too. As they were walking towards the art building, they were also welcomed by the same honey voice. Anyone would easily find a voice like this so addictive. It was like a gentle touch but with so much confidence that wanted to dominate everyone's mind even without trying. It's as if our heart has a door, the voice is asking permission to go inside but it goes in anyway as it knows that you will allow it straight to the deepest part of your heart. The voice was an intruder but felt comfortable as if it belonged there in the first place. 

 

But for key the little laugh at the end lingered in his mind more than it should. But he wondered if he was really gonna be so whipped because of an unknown voice of someone he just heard and tried to focus his mind somewhere else. Maybe not for now but he definitely wanted to know the source of this heavenly voice. For a second he regretted that he didn't record it because he wanted to know how it would feel so close to his ears. He was curious how someone would feel if a voice like that would whisper to you all night long. He was curious about if that voice is already doing that. He was curious if someone was lucky enough to experience that. But as for now, admission procedures seemed more urgent. So he walked forward, trying to calm his rushing mind, surely distracted and wanted to be rescued from these thoughts. 

 

" I think we need to go that way key. Not this" minho said as he dragged key with him to musicals department allowing him to deviate his attention for now

 Later minho went on his own since he is doing a degree in acting and direction. That was the thing about them they were so different yet found a middle ground where they could connect. By connecting, it meant fighting and being honest with each other. Their friendship was rather different from the norms. Not just because of their differences but being together from kindergarten makes you know almost everything about each other even without talking. 

 

Minho was sure that after listening to the radio something was definitely off with key but he postponed that interrogation to another time as they need to be done with admission procedures first. 

 

Finding himself standing in front of the admission counter made key think of the times he worked so hard to get into his dream university. For all it's worth, key was sure going to work hard here too. He wasn't just going to study , he was going to learn and even start living his life as he always wanted to. Shortly after his turn came and he gave his admission form to the man who was sitting at the counter. He looked a little older with a gentle aura that made him stand out for some reason. Looking down he found out that his name is Lee jinki and also president of the musical club from the name tag. He is someone he should probably be looking out for if he wanted to have good opportunities here. 

 

"Kim Kibum. Right? You have quite the resume. I'm impressed with your experience when you are just a first year. Way to go. If you are interested, you can join our clubs here. We really want more talents like you. I'm really impressed with your profile. Quite the perfectionist aren't you? " Lee jinki said, as he was impressed with the lean guy with exceptional grades. 

 

" Thank you. I will definitely join the club. It took so much hard work but I'm glad to have finally come here. Lee jinki ??is it?? " Key was flustered with all the compliments. 

 

" I'm Lee jinki. Call me onew. We will be seeing each other often. I have a feeling that we will surely get along well. " jinki offered his hand for a shake as he stood up. Key replied with a gentle smile and a handshake. 

 

There it was. The feeling he wanted. Only a few minutes into the first day and already on the good side of a senior. That too president? Perfect. As he was done with his procedures, he checked the class schedules handed to him. After making sure everything was okay, onew was about to hand over keys documents along with an id card, in the light of speed someone came and snatched the documents from onews hand and ran away giggling. 

 

Key was shocked and ran towards the guy who stole his documents. Onew was following key, both chasing down an anonymous guy who was apparently giggling which made key more angry. For a short guy, he really was fast. But then something hit the guy and he fell down . More precisely some one. When he looked close he saw minho straddling the said guy. Key ran faster followed by onew and separated both of them.

 

"Minho stop. What did I tell you about fights?" key said 

 

" Why is someone stealing your documents then key?." Minho fought back the urge to scream. 

 

But the most interesting thing was that the guy was laughing . That made key so angry. Key punched him hard and took his documents back. 

 

" No kibum!!! He is someone I know. Don't hurt him."onew said, pulling back key. 

 

" huh? " 

 

" You see. Not always pranks will end in the same way you want jonghyun ah. See now you got hurt and you totally deserve it. Say sorry to kibum "onew told the short guy. Key and minho was really not comfortable with the way the jonghyun guy was still smiling. 

 

Jonghyun looked at key.

 

 Beautiful eyes And perfect lips. Not now jonghyun. Not now. 

 

" I'm sorry key… ErErr? Kibum? " jonghyun said. 

 

" Kibum". Key corrected. 

 

" Sorry kibum. This is my best friend jonghyun. He is also your senior. He really likes to prank, especially me. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. It's because of me". Onew said. 

 

" No onew. It's definitely not your fault that a grown up guy can't act his age." Key replied. 

 

But then his best friend was the worst. He was giving jonghyun all weird faces that clearly meant don't mess up with key and it was safely delivered as jonghyun was moving close towards and whispered to onew

 

"Why is that guy looking at me like that? His is insanely handsome and it's making me so uncomfortable that his face is so small and I may need a ladder to see the top of his head" 

 

Onew clearly didn't have any chance to look at that fuming tall guy but when he did his best friend was absolutely right. That guy surely was so handsome. But why does seeing him angry make his heart skip some beats? . That was another mystery for Lee jinki to solve on his own. One of the things jinki loved and hated about his best friend is that he is always right and so accurate when describing something. Now that the words are stuck in his head, jinki may need to go through a lot of emotions to find an answer to this new dilemma. 

 

After saying bye to each other, the two sets of best friends went  their own ways. 

 

" Onew, I thought this was your document. That's why I took and ran. I didn't know that it's this guy's. I'm really sorry. Please don't make it a big issue. And I already said sorry. " Jonghyun whined. 

 

" But jonghyun, if you really keep on doing this I really would have to punish you or something. Because you are ruining my image "onew scoffed. 

 

" Oh so you want to have a good image. Okay. Got it. I shall work towards deceiving people by telling them how amazing of a guy you are " Jonghyun knows what he was doing. They both know that jonghyun was merely joking. After a whole five minutes of arguing and teasing each other, the president was bought by his friend by making a deal of free lunch for a month. 

 

While at some part of the campus,the other two were talking about the events that unfold just before and complaining how everything was going well until jonghyun happened. 

 

"Onew was so impressed with me. He even told me I can call him onew. And now I'm someone who punched his best friend. What a great start." key sighed. 

 

" If you want I can break his legs" minho said. 

 

"Minho, I want him to like me. Not hate me. Are you even listening to what I'm saying?" key scolded. 

 

" Let's just change our moods. Let's go and see the campus so that we can be a little familiar with it. Come key. Let's go. Let's not think about it anymore ". Minho dragged key along with him. 

 

The campus was really huge. With so many departments and the best in the country, it sure had the best infrastructure and views. There were walls and they were painted with beautiful sceneries. From what others have been talking, they got to know that the walls were painted according to seasons by the art department. They liked the idea and made plans to see what the walls will look like the next season. There were tree's . Big ones that gave shadows and spaces for students to sit and do their works. It was such a beautiful view. The playground wasn't any exception as it was wide and was filled with so many people 

Some were playing, some were studying and some were even having their lunch there. As they were passing by each building and found a swimming pool, Minho wanted to check it out . But key doesn't really like water. So he decided to sit by the bench so his friend can swim as much as he wants. Minho went to the changing room and key went to buy something to drink. 

 

Being alone for the first time, Minho took his time to find the changing room oblivious of the fact that he is going in the opposite direction of where the room actually is. He loved the little time to himself on such a busy day. But as he realized he was walking for quite a long time and was sure that changing room won't be this far, he realizes that he is lost. Minho tried walking straight in hope of finding someone so that he could ask the way . Then he heard a voice. He walked towards the source of the voice and finally found someone who looked familiar. Minho came closer and awkwardly poked the others shoulder and coughed. 

 

" Oh its you. Key's senior? Onew is it?" minho asked. 

 

" yes. I'm Lee jinki. People call me onew hehe." Onew said as he scratched back of his neck smiling a little shyly for a man with such manly aura. And minho even noticed that slight shade of pink blooming in onew's cheek which made minho smile too. 

 

"I'm Choi minho. I'm key's best friend. I'm kind of lost. Can you help me find changing room for swimming pool?" minho asked. 

 

" Eh? The swimming pool is not here. You came so far from where you want to be. I will show you. Come with me. I'm going that way". Onew said. 

 

" So president and all. Such big responsibilities. How is it?" minho asked. 

 

" Yeah it's okay. I just roll with it. I don't particularly think of it as something I have to do. I enjoy organizing events and leading everyone when they need it. It's fun actually ". Onew smiled. Two crescents formed in place of his eyes showing a beautiful smile. It was the most beautiful smile minho has ever seen. 

 

" Sorry about all that happened today. I didn't know that it was your friend. I only saw how someone took key's document and I'm sorry for everything that happened. Key is, well he is one of a kind. He doesn't really mean most of the things that come out of his mouth. He is really a good one at heart. "minho tried to make up for his friend. 

 

" It's really okay minho. I know that my friend is at fault too. Well jonghyun too is not the one you saw there too. But I have to admit it, how you threatened him there with your eyes. Please teach me that too. Because he gets away with things too easily. Hehe. "onew laughed. They both laughed. 

 

" Anytime. I can teach you. By the way, where are you going onew?" 

 

" Oh I'm going to canteen" 

 

" Wait on a second thought . Can I come with you? Key said he will be there too." minho said as he wanted to spend more time with onew. 

 

Onew was a happy man generally. But today he was happier because of a good company and to see the smile of someone extremely handsome up so close. Still the air around them was a little awkward but as they walked side by side talking about things, it sure was getting lighter. 

 

The situation was heavier somewhere else as key found himself in a difficult situation. When he entered the swimming pool there was someone lying flatly on the pool. He called out but upon getting no reply, he got really worried. So he jumped without thinking. But realized shortly after how stupid he was as he is now drowning. He tried to make sound but the water got in his mouth instead. He tried to float again but he couldn't. What he remembers before the darkness welcomed him was two strong arms holding him by his waist. 

 

Jonghyun was tired from all the things he had to do. Now he even took a  punch from someone. All because he wanted to prank onew. He really needed some rest. So he came to the pool as usual and lied there while closing his eyes. It was his way of relaxing but was disturbed by the sound of water splashing and someone's voice. Jonghyun turned around and saw someone was drowning. So he immediately went and carried the drowning boy and carefully placed him on the wet floor which he now realized was the same boy from before. 

 

" Kibum kibum" he called as he patted the other's face. But there was no reaction. So he did the next thing he should do, which is pressing on the chest. But then as he didn't get any reaction now either, as a last resort he took a deep breath and came close to the boy but as he was getting closer keys eyes opened and he was thrown to the side. He heard coughs from kibum. He sat up and asked key if he was okay. 

 

" You ert. What are you doing? Do you want to die?What were you thinking when you were lying down like that? Why didn't you respond when I called you. I thought something happened to you" key said in a single breath. 

 

" Oh oh oh. Cool down. You shouldn't speak non stop like that. There might still be water in your chest. And I was helping you . You were drowning" Jonghyun replied flustered. 

 

They sat there for sometime. Breathing and calming down. They didn't talk at all. Just stayed there on the floor. But it was getting awkward and cold for jonghyun. So he stood up and give his hand to key to take. 

 

" What?" 

 

"Are you going to sit here all day? I'm cold too. Unlike you I don't have a shirt on and come with me I will give you some clothes to change into." Jonghyun said. 

 

Key accepted his hands and stood up. He followed jonghyun and for the first time he actually realized how broad jonghyun's shoulder was. From back, he really could tell that the front view will be glorious. But he shaked off all those thoughts as he was entering a small space with jonghyun. Jonghyun gave him clothes but he was still in the room. 

 

" Why are you still here? I want to change". Key said. 

 

" Huh. Hello. I also need to change. Stop complaining. Why do you talk so much? Geez." Jonghyun said. 

 

Key went to a side where there was a rack. He changed and came out  soon only to find jonghyun coming towards him wrapped in a towel which dangerously hung so low around his hips. 

 

Perfectly build chocolate abs. That's what it was. If key had his phone with him now, he would have taken a picture secretly. But sadly he didn't and was slowly approached by a really hot but short guy. 

 

 To top all of this, a smirk formed in jonghyun's face as he saw key staring at him. 

 

"Like what you see?" Jonghyun was teasing and key was sure by now and gulped. 

 

But before even jonghyun could do anything his towel suddenly came off leaving a really flustered key followed by screams. 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope you like the chapter. I promise you that the coming chapters are really interesting. So I hope you look forward to it too. FINALLY, this story is public. Yaaaaay

Next update on coming Saturday, 17th. See you all then. 

Be safe.