Chapter 5

Moonlight

" Good morning" Onew said and joined the others for brunch. 

 

"It's almost noon jinki ssi" Jonghyun replied rolling his eyes. 

 

They ordered simple waffles with fruits and poured maple syrup on top. Breakfasts like this after a long night was needed for them to energize for the day. It was their last day and  was packed with lots of activities as well. 

 

" Ready for the day?" Onew asked everyone. 

 

" Yes. So ready." minho replied. 

 

Onew noticed how the other three were less responsive but decided to not pry on it more. There was something going on and he could sense it. It was making everything a bit uncomfortable. If the previous day went too fast, jinki had a feeling that today was going to be a long one just from the look of it. 

 

" Hey taemin, where were you yesterday? We waited for you alot." key asked taemin, trying to change the mood. 

 

" Ah, I went to have coffee and went for a walk later." taemin replied. 

 

" Are you feeling better now?" Jonghyun came closer and asked taemin. Taemin nodded and smiled as he replied. Taemin was really thankful to jonghyun for caring for him. He felt like he got himself an elder brother. There was a feeling of security and in that, he felt the most comfortable in a very long time. 

 

" What are you both whispering? Tell us too"onew told jonghyun and taemin. 

 

" Nothing that matters you. Also It's a secret." Jonghyun winked. 

 

" You both definitely got so much closer now. Huh?" it was minho talking now. 

 

" Jonghyun hyung is so caring and how can I not see that?" For some reason taemin wanted to show everyone, may be a particular person, how he was having a great time too. He wanted to rave about it so much. But little did he know how that would make him sad afterwards. After the words were spoken, Minho smiled. Not only it made him feel bad but the lack of any complex reaction from the elder only hurt him more. 

 

Thinking from minho's side, it was nothing unusual. He was genuinely happy that taemin was having a good time. But as taemin realized how nothing works on minho as the elder does not see him the way he wants, he was disappointed again. Taemin really thought he could act normal today. But he was wrong. A small smile from minho was all he needed for the constant reminder of how that smile and the person won't be anymore than a friendly one and that affected him more than he ever imagined. 

 

Jonghyun wasn't any fool to not notice how taemin was after answering minho. He looked at his other side to see a really similar key. He didn't know how he was going to handle two of them. But he sure was not gonna let them be down the whole day too. It was gonna be a lot of hand work but jonghyun decided to not abandon the two in such a situation. Even he wasn't sure how he was gonna do that but his heart won't be able to witness either of the boys in such situations. So he was determined and was prepared for the day. 

 

Jonghyun was also nervous about approaching key. After they had a little moment from yesterday, he was different. Not to mention how his mind was giving him all sorts of romantic ideas and heart fluttering ideas. For someone like him, it wasn't that hard but today for some reason, he was trying his best to hide it. He wanted to show it to the world and he will. But today was just not the day and he knows to respect the space key needed. 

 

After finishing their breakfast, they went to a small palace which was about 2 hour ride. After today's sightseeing, they planned to go back at night. Things were getting pretty normal as they went to their destination. As they passed by roads that had trees in each side, their mind wandered somewhere in between. Some lost, some found. Then, came back as if it never got lost. It was relaxing how the wind touched and took away their worries for sometime. 

 

Key closed his eyes to feel it. It made him feel so light. 

Taemin was taking pictures. Seeing the usual hyper key being so silent, taemin decided to play with him. So he and key started taking selfies together. It was fun as they used different filters. Some with bunny ears. Some with mustache. Seeing how the energy was returning to the group, onew was also relieved. But still didn't get why his best friend was the most silent one now. Normally jonghyun was silent but seems like he was deep in his thoughts to even acknowledge anything happening in the car. 

 

The palace was very old, about 200 years old. There were less tourists as not many preferred such silent places to visit . They roamed around and took many photos. It was so peaceful. 

 

They found a stream and decided to sit by the bench to relax. Chirping of birds, voice of water, people talking in the distance, and there was nothing more they needed now. Some peace of mind and fresh air to free their minds from any exhaustion. The calmness of the place slowly found its way to their hearts and they began settling down just like the fallen leaves. 

 

They took sandwiches they brought and ate them in peace. 

 

" It's really beautiful here. I never thought I liked this kind of places. " taemin commented, making everyone agree. 

 

" It's funny how we all are here. Shouldn't we be in some pub and get wasted? Are we already that old?" Onew said as he laughed. 

 

" If I could, I would live here. Who wouldn't want to live here? Even a date here would be so romantic" Jonghyun said as his eyes darted towards key. Key also saw how jonghyun was looking at him but decided not to encourage it. So he looked down. From morning, he was acting so weird. Not him but his heart. He first thought that it's sadness from the previous night but he was going through a whole new emotion as a single stare from jonghyun resulted in butterflies in his stomach. He was confused and also scared to come in pact with the things he was feeling. The calmness only made him look at it clearly with no judgment and excuses. But as the stage of acceptance came, he denied it himself because to get involved in such complex feelings just because he had some special moment with someone didn't made any sense to him.

 

Honestly key was so confused. Whatever happened last night felt so good and he wish if it was a dream but it wasn't. He was heartbroken but jonghyun did helped him by talking and being with him. He thought jonghyun would be clingy or may approach him today for an explanation. But he was too busy with taemin that key was convinced that whatever happened between them was the drive of the moment and nothing more. May be it was because of pity? May be jonghyun is really good at playing with people's heart? He made a mental note to warn taemin in secret to not get too close to jonghyun. 

 

After their small meal, they all went to see the rest of the place. They went to a tower and it was said that they can see the whole place from there. But the stairs were narrow and steep. Taemin was pretty brave. He went up without waiting for anyone like an excited kid. Minho wasn't any exception. Onew intentionally slowed down so that he could talk to jonghyun but when he saw how his best friend took key's hand and walked, he ran and joined minho. 

 

Key was really scared of heights. He was angry at minho for going first.

 

"Stupid minho. He knows how I hate the height. Yet he didn't wait for me" he murmured. 

 

" Do you want help, kibum?" Jonghyun asked. 

 

" No" key hesitated. I won't allow your stupid plans now. 

 

But jonghyun took keys hand on his and started walking towards the tower. 

 

" I'm not going up. I will stay here. Let me go. " key tried to get away but jonghyun was faster to interlock his hands with keys. 

 

There it was again. The loud sound of his heart. 

 

Jonghyun walked in front while key followed, their hands still locked. It was heart fluttering at first . But as the distance from the ground increased, key was scared and was walking really close to jonghyun. Key was clinging onto jonghyun more as they went up. 

 

It was difficult for jonghyun to walk. But seeing how scared key was, he didn't complain. Slowly, they reached the top of the tower and the magnificent view was waiting for them. But key closed his eyes as he was too scared. 

 

" Open your eyes. It's really beautiful. Are you not gonna see this view after coming up. That's such a waste. Come on. Open your eyes. You won't regret it" Jonghyun said rubbing his thumb along keys hand. 

 

" promise me that you won't let me go. Then I will open my eyes. " key said, shifting close to jonghyun.

 

It was cute. 

 

" I won't let you go. I promise". Little did key know that jonghyun really meant what he said. Not just now he was so determined to not break this promise ever. 

 

Key opened his eyes and he was surprised at the view that welcomed him. Jonghyun was right. It was indeed so beautiful. The trees, the stream, the greenery and the warmth from the other's hand indeed made this a beautiful moment. 

 

Wait. What warmth? Key was gonna hit himself but jonghyun put his other hand on the reeling, almost wrapping key in the process.

 

It is safe to say that back hug may be Jonghyun's weakness. 

 

Jonghyun put his head on keys shoulder from back and closed his eyes,feeling the evening breeze. 

 

" What are you doing?" key asked. 

 

" Just let me stay like this for sometime. Enjoy the view. Please " Jonghyun took a deep breath. 


 

Was key getting used to the warmth from the other or he was just desperate for any kind of skinship? Key wanted to believe the latter.Because he liked it. Everything about this moment was beautiful. 

 

Some minutes passed by. It felt like time has stopped. 

 

" How much more time do you need?" key asked.

 

" Look. The sun is setting. It's beautiful" Jonghyun said pointing his finger. 

 

" Can you stop with your excuses and it's not funny anymore. " 

 

" Its not even 10 minutes that I promised to not let you go . I'm not breaking it now. I'm not the type to break promises " Jonghyun said getting closer. 

 

" I said that because I was scared. I'm still scared but now I'm better. So let go before someone sees. " key was embarrassed but also wanted to get over whatever was happening. He was scared that he will get drawn to whatever jonghyun was planning if he stayed longer. 

 

" Who will see? Everyone went down. There's another exit. Look, they are there" Jonghyun said. Key only saw taemin who was busy on his phone. 

 

" Then what are we doing here? Let's go down too" 

 

" Can we go down after seeing the sunset? Please key?" Jonghyun said. 

 

" No. And It's kibum. Not key" 

 

" Can't I call you, key? We are alot more closer now. Aren't we?" key knew exactly what jonghyun was talking about but he didn't reply.

 

" Then I will call you… HmHmmm… Kibummie. How is it? But on one condition. OnIy I  can call you this." Jonghyun said. 

 

" No. Why would you want to call me other name. Kibum is enough and let's go down." 

 

" stay.. Please… " Jonghyun almost whispered, making key stay in the place. Because those words did things to his heart and also because key was starting to see how gentle jonghyun was with him. 

 

He understood how a second more spend with jonghyun may not end well. 

 

So key pushed jonghyun back after some time and went to the direction of where the stairs are . But key was a stupid. He forgot their locked hands. Jonghyun had the advantage and pulled key towards him. 

 

Key clashed onto Jonghyun's chest. Jonghyun sneaked his hands around keys waist to holding him still. 

 

" What are you doing?" 

 

" What we couldn't do yesterday", Jonghyun just wanted to let key know that he didn't forget what happened the previous night and he was genuine about everything that happened. He felt like he needed to reassure the other that it was indeed real. He felt it and he was feeling it now too. That's probably why he couldn't let go of key, asking for more when he knew that he's probably asking for something key couldn't offer. But as stupid as it sounds, he couldn't help himself from the moment he almost backhugged the other. 

 

" I want to go down" key pleaded, not able to look at the beautiful eyes that was staring at him. 

 

" Do you really?" Jonghyun moved closer. With every second, key was getting weak. He was sure he would collapse any minute. So he shut his eyes tightly. 

 

Jonghyun wasn't sure why everything about key was so cute. Right now he could do anything. Key was under his control but his heart and mind was somewhere else making him look like a fool who wasn't brave enough to do anything. 

 

" Why are you closing your eyes? OMG you thought I was gonna kiss you or something? Aww that's cute. " Jonghyun said giggling. 

 

" No. Not that. I didn't. I was scared of you. You ert"

 

Jonghyun laughed more holding onto the precious thing Infront of him. 

 

It was beautiful. Key almost lost his own control. He was sure if not jonghyun, he might kiss jonghyun. Because he would swear that jonghyun looked so beautiful. Not being able to disregard the tingling feeling in his tummies from the close proximity was another thing. Looking at the pink plump lips that are now smirking at him seemed so appropriate if he went for it . Key held his urge back barely. 

 

Who is the ert now? Huh. 

 

He wanted to facepalm him for having these thoughts. He couldn't believe how he could be like this even in this situation. 

 

Desperate. For sure. 

 

" Is there something in my lips kibummie?" Jonghyun asked since he saw how key was staring. 

 

" What? Nothing. Also not kibummie. Who gave you permission to call me like that? " key scolded. 

 

"Just let me go before anyone sees. Minho might look for me. I should go"

 

Cute. Cute. Cute. Cute. Cute 

 

This was Jonghyun's heart screamed at him. Jonghyun slowly moved forward, making key go backwards until keys back was met with the wall. 

 

Jonghyun again went closer looking at keys eyes. This time key was not avoiding his stare. But was scared for sure. It was so evident in his eyes. But totally unexpected to what his face was giving away , his hands rested pretty comfortably at jonghyun's back. 

 

Jonghyun paused to take a close look at key. 

 

Beautiful. 

 

This time he was also breathless. He went closer but got too afraid to break something so delicate as the person in front of him. So he pecked the others nose instead. 

 

Key was wide eyed. Not because he didn't get what he expected. But, was surprised by what jonghyun did. So surprised by how jonghyun's eyes was literally shining. And that God damn smile that could make anyone fall for him. 

 

So gentle. 

 

Damn. Key was so screwed. 

 

" What must I do to tame you?". Jonghyun asked making key speechless and the sensation he was having was beyond his reach to explain in any manner. 

 

Before key could even breath, there came another peck in his right cheek. Followed by another on the left. Key's cheeks started to become really hot and red. 

 

" This is what the little prince asked the fox. "Jonghyun said smiling, holding key tightly. 

 

" Little prince? Who? " 

 

" The one who saw forty four sunsets. Forget what I told you yesterday? "Jonghyun asked. 

 

" So what did the fox answer? "key asked. 

 

" It's for the fox to answer. Not mine "Jonghyun pinched keys nose deliberately letting key know that it's his turn. 

 

That's when key's phone rang. But jonghyun still didn't let go of key. He insisted on taking the call while being on the position they were in. 

 

" He...hello? "

 

" KEY WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? "minho shouted. 

 

" Oh my God. My ears!! Choi, can you speak with a lower voice. "

 

" I asked where you are. We need to go. It's getting darker "

 

" I'm coming. Give me 10 minutes "

 

" Where is jonghyun. Now we have to look for him too? "key heard onew's voice. 

 

" I'm here onew. We will come soon." Jonghyun answered and cut the call. 

 

" Why did you answer that? What would they think? "

 

" Why are you so affected by what others think? Let's go before they find us here like this. Or you wanna continue?" Jonghyun smirked.

 

" continue what? NOTHING. JUST GO. ERT" key scoffed. 

 

They went down and joined onew and minho. But now taemin was missing. But they saw taemin standing near their car. So they went to join him, but stopped in their tracks when they saw taemin blushing and talking on his phone. 

 

" Do you think something is wrong with this kid?" key asked.

 

"Definitely" onew answered 

 

As taemin saw the group coming in his way, he cut the call and waited for them. They started their journey back home shortly after. It was getting dark. Minho volunteered to drive this time. Onew was on the front, while others had the same seat arrangements as before. 

 

Taemin was busy with his phone, while jonghyun was busy with key. Key was busy with deviating Jonghyun's focus somewhere else. Jonghyun was dangerously leaning towards key. He put his head on key's shoulder, faking a headache. His hands sneaked behind key. Key was shocked but jonghyun managed to put his hand on keys waist and pulled him closer. 

 

" Kibummie" Jonghyun whispered. He was playing a really dangerous game and he knew that. But he took the risk anyway.

 

" Hmmm?" the answer was almost a whisper because jonghyuns hands explored keys skin making him unable to speak. Key wanted to scold him. But he was weak at the core. It was getting alot difficult for him to control when jonghyun pulled hem of his shirt. Jonghyun wanted to mark his boundaries but for that he needed to know his way around . So he took his time in exploring. Slow and steady. Ambitious but also manipulative. 

 

" Hyung, can you pass me the water?" taemin asked ,key. He took the bottle and handed it over. He thought may be jonghyun would stop what he was doing. But he didn't. His hand was intact but his face turned to taemin and smiled. 

 

" How is your headache now, hyung? "

 

" I think I feel much better than before taeminie" Jonghyun replied.

 

" Take more rest hyung" 

 

" Oh yes. I'm planning to" 

 

Key knew that this journey is going to be a lot difficult than he thought as he felt jonghyun's hand again moving up and down making his skin hot and his hairs stand up. Jonghyun was so confident that he moved forward and started exploring the restricted places. 

 

" OH MY GOD. JUST ING STOP" Key screamed. 

 

Jonghyun obviously didn't expect key to scream like that. So he removed his hands immediately. 

 

" What? What happened key? Do you want to go out? Why do you want me to stop the car?" minho asked, stopping the car. Taemin and onew was also confused while  Jonghyun was shivering. 

 

" Can't you drive properly?" key didn't mean to shout but he was getting frustrated. He saw how jonghyuns face was. He didn't meant to be so harsh but as jonghyun was getting a little too brave, he needed to set the boundaries before jonghyun could exploit them. 

 

" Key, listen. I was driving properly. If you are angry about something, just talk to me about it. "minho said frustrated. 

 

" I… I Just need some air. Can we stop at some place and take some rest?  " key asked. 

 

" Okay. Let's do that" onew replied, telling minho about a restaurant 10 minutes far from where they were. 

 

Jonghyun was scared and didn't know what to do. Also he was relieved when key didn't tell anyone the reason behind his outbreak. This time jonghyun moved far, giving key his privacy. He looked straight trying to focus on the road. 

 

After some minutes, they stopped at the said restaurant. They all went out and had dinner. It was past 8pm. The air was cold. The restaurant was filled with other passengers like them. It was peaceful. 

 

Minho sat down beside key. Seeing how shocked jonghyun was, onew went to his best friend as well. Taemin was sitting there looking at key. Key smiled back at taemin saying that everything is fine. 

 

" Are you mad at me?" minho finally asked. 

 

" I'm not minho. I was so irritated because I was in the car for so long. I'm sorry. " key replied. 

 

" You sure?" 

 

" Yes minho" 

 

Liar. Minho wasn't someone key met in the last few weeks. They knew each other since kindergarten and minho know that key was lying about everything. 

 

" Jonghyun, how is your headache now?" Onew asked. 

 

" Better" 

 

" Do you have anything to do with what happened?" Onew asked. 

 

Jonghyun didn't reply but he looked down. He couldn't say anything. And onew understood his silence. 

 

" Minho, can you come with me? I'm short on money. Can you lend me some?" Onew said. 

 

" Of course " minho went with onew to pay for their food.

 

The silence was killing key and it was getting awkward. So key decided to talk to taemin. 

 

" Who are you texting taemin?" key asked after hearing the millions of notification sound from taemin's phone in the last few hours.

 

" Hmm? Just a friend " 

 

" Just a friend? Huh? " key smirked. 

 

" Just a friend" taemin blushed looking at key. 

 

Taemin got another notification and it wasn't from the same person he had been messaging. It was from onew and it said to come to the payment booth. He looked at onew and minho and they motioned him to join them. Taemin went there totally not getting what they meant.

 

" Are you short of money? Why?" Taemin asked 

 

" No. We just want to give them some privacy. Now stay here." minho said instead. 

 

When onew called minho, he didn't know the intention but when onew pointed how both key and jonghyun were acting so out of place , he also agreed to onews plan. 

 

The cold air surrounded them,making them shiver. It was chilly. The moon was still shining. Jonghyun and key looked at each other. Both didn't utter a single word. 

 

" I'm sorry" Jonghyun said breaking the silence. 

 

" I'm so sorry" 

 

" I'm really sorry" 

 

" Key?" 

 

" Kibum?" 

 

" Kibummie?" 

 

" I said I'm sorry" 

 

"I heard you well the first time." key said. 

 

" I don't need your pity jonghyun" key continued. 

 

" What? Pity? No. You are misunderstanding" 

 

" I may be sad and made a mistake yesterday and today too. But the way you are acting, it's uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable. Why are you making me feel this way?" key asked. 

 

" Making you feel what?" Jonghyun asked. 

 

" Like Im breathless. I feel like everytime you are around me, I feel exposed. You make me feel so uncomfortable. Like I'm speechless. And it makes me weak that I don't know how to act. So I just stay still" key replied. 

 

" Not because you liked it? Are you saying that you don't feel the same as me and called it a mistake? I thought we had a moment key. And I thought you liked it. That's why I continued. If you hated it so much, why did you close your eyes in the beach that day? It's not that complicated. You could have just said that you don't want it. I can understand. I'm not that complicated. So all this time, it was just me? Tell me that you didn't feel it. Tell me that you also didn't feel the connection. Then I will stop. "Jonghyun said feeling so bad for forcing everything on key. 

 

" It's not that jonghyun. It's… I Don't know how to explain" key said but jonghyun stood up and went without looking at key. 

 

Key knew that what he did was the right thing. But the unnecessary guilt he was feeling was weird . He was feeling bad but why? 

 

His heart sank when he listened to each word from jonghyun. Why? 

 

He teared up when he saw Jonghyun's back moving farther from him. Why? 

 

Key was confused. 

 

Key also went to the car. He found minho sitting in the back of the car with taemin. Jonghyun in the front seat. Key was sure that he messed up real with whatever was going on. 

 

Did jonghyun really didn't do it all because he felt bad? 

 

Did jonghyun was genuinely concerned about him? 

 

Did jonghyun really was genuine with everything he showed? 

 

Key's head was a mess now. He put his head against his best friends shoulder and closed his eyes. 

 

Memories from the last few days started replaying but oddly everything had jonghyun in it. Oddly, in the good moments, their soft touches were there. Oddly enough, all he could see was jonghyun's face. 

 

Key was sad but he didn't know why he was sad. All he did was telling jonghyun how he felt but now he was feeling guilty for no reason. Maybe there was a reason after all. 

 

The rest of the drive home was really awkward. Nobody uttered a word. They just said goodbyes when they parted. After dropping key and minho, the other three went back to their own home. Taemin was staying for the night in onews and Jonghyun's home since it was so late to go home now. 

 

Another night consumed them. But it was a difficult one as the thought of day was scary yet the night was even more scarier. 

 

As jonghyun pulled up his blanket, all he thought was how the moments they had was a mistake when it meant everything to him. He hated how easily he gave himself to key. He won't regret it as he was genuinely happy and was sad now thinking how there won't be anymore of those. Will he miss those? Yes, definitely. 

But he won't do something that would be a mistake to someone else. 

 

Jonghyun knew that he was gonna have a really long night and he allowed the thoughts to win over him in no time. 

 

The next morning came. It felt like an eternity later. Everyone and anything, halted for a moment when the news flashed before their digital screens. 

 

The world was affected by a pandemic and there was going to be complete Lockdown until further notice. 

 

Like everyone else in the world, the five of them were shocked and was panicking. That meant not meeting each other anytime soon. It was a risk when there were many unsolved things between them. But the risk in the outside world was more important now. 

 

Key was the first one to wake up. But it was still late. Sometime past 11 am. That's when he saw the news. He woke up minho and told him the news. They were shocked. Minho called onew and told them about the news too since it was possible that they were still sleeping and won't be knowing it at the moment. They had one problem. Taemin was with them and he was now stuck with onew and jonghyun. 

 

Just like the whole world, they were also shocked, not knowing what to do. But after getting more information about safety measures and news a bit, they decided to be as practical as they can be and to think about what they can do next. 

 

Key checked if they have groceries and was glad that they already stocked it as they buy one month's at a time. Minho and key stayed in front of TV all the time to know the updates. They didn't have anything to do as well. Somewhere through everything, they put aside the other problems they had. 

 

Keys phone rang suddenly making him flinch. 

 

" Hey hyung" taemin called.

 

" Hello taemin. Don't go home now. Just stay with them until everything is better. Okay?" 

 

" Yes hyung. But I'm afraid that I will be disturbing them" 

 

" Don't worry. They also know the situation. I wish you were with me. Now I have to worry about you everytime. Message me and call me whenever you need. Okay?" key said.

 

" Okay hyung. Can I FaceTime you now?" 

 

" Now? Okay" key was hesitant but thinking of how taemin may be feeling down because he had to crash at some other place, he his FaceTime. 

 

" Hey hyung" 

 

" Hello taemin. You look tired. You didn't slept well?" key asked. 

 

" I couldn't get much sleep hyung" taemin replied. 

 

" Did you eat anything?" 

 

" Yes. Jonghyun hyung made breakfast for me" 

 

" Oh" 

 

" Hello taemin" minho said, sitting next to key. 

 

"Hey hyung" 

 

" Where are the others taemin" minho asked. 

 

" They are here. Onew hyung, Jonghyun hyung,come here" taemin called them. 

 

Onew and jonghyun joined taemin, making key worry more. He actually wanted to see jonghyun and see how he is doing. But when he saw dark circles under jonghyuns eyes and a really sad face, key regretted immediately. 

 

" How are we all going to do now? How do I stay inside the home all day?" minho said. 

 

" I also don't know. But we have to. We came home at the right time. Think about being stuck at somewhere else?" Onew said while the others nodded. 

 

" But atleast we all are here. I'm relieved " taemin said. 

 

The call ended after sometime. They didn't talk much. But mostly their worries about how to get through this difficult time. 

 

After the first glance, key couldn't look at jonghyun. So he either avoided looking or he looked down. It was so obvious how key went so silent after jonghyun joined the call. 

 

Jonghyun was hurt again because of how key wasn't looking at him. He felt like he did an unforgivable crime. Why else key wouldn't even look at him? 

 

After the call, key went to his room. He needed some time after seeing how badly his words affected jonghyun. He felt so guilty that he wanted to go back and rephrase himself a bit. But what happened, happened. There's no going back. His phone beeped telling key he got a message from onew. 

 

It was jonghyuns number with a message that said, 

 

Talk to him. I figured that you may need his number. 

 

Key did everything the whole day to not think about onews message. But he had nothing else to focus on. Not even browsing through Instagram helped him this time. 

 

So after contemplating the whole day, he finally decided to message jonghyun. He wasn't sure how he would start the conversation. 

 

K :Hello jonghyun. This is me, Key. Can we talk? 

 

K :I think I was rude to you. I'm sorry if you got hurt by my words. I'm really sorry. 

 

K : Jonghyun? 

 

K :Jonghyun? 

 

Jonghyun was reading messages but didn't replied. So key knew he had to do something else. 

 

How many sunsets you want to see today? 

 

J :Alot. 

 

K :Are you that sad? 

 

J : What do you think? 

 

Key knew exactly how jonghyun was feeling but he didn't want this kind of reply either. So he talked about the next best thing he could put his mind on. 

 

K : You still haven't told me the name of the book. 

 

J : Why should I tell you. It doesn't matter anyways. 

 

K : But a promise is a promise. You told me that you will lend me yours. 

 

Not now key. not now. Jonghyun wanted to put his phone away but he couldn't as he saw key was typing another message. 

 

K : I don't know how to tell you this. But I felt so guilty after I told you all that. And I feel so bad to see you look so down 

 

J : Don't lie key. You couldn't even look at me properly today. Just leave it. I'm going to sleep. Bye. 

 

K : Jonghyun, please. 

 

But jonghyun didn't reply. He didn't sleep either. He just couldn't do it. He dreamed alot about how his first message with key would be. But now, every single dream of him is shattered into pieces. Even if he wanted to fix them, there will still be wounds. So he didn't. His eyes became heavy as he didn't slept the last day. It was easy to get some sleep as his body needed some rest. 

 

Key on the other hand was worried now. Really worried. But he was also so determined to talk to jonghyun. Seeing this side of jonghyun made him feel so bad since he was the cause of this. 

 

" Didn't you said there's so much in silence? Now I understand jonghyun. Because your silence is killing me" key said out loud as a small tear escaped his eyes. 

 

He replayed the memories they shared again. But now as the night was giving him a clear head, he realized may be not everything was uncomfortable. May be not a mistake too. Jonghyun was there for him when he needed. He didn't ask much but he still was beside him. And what did he do? It wasn't a mistake. Key wanted to scold himself as realization surrounded him. 

 

" It really wasn't a mistake. " key said again as he smiled. Countless butterflies from earlier events give him his much needed answer to everything. It wasn't a weird feeling. It wasn't uncomfortable to be with him. It was just a really different emotions that was too complex for key to understand. So he related it to the closest possible thing he compared it with. It was simple now. 

 

Jonghyun woke up to the voice from his phone. He checked to see a good morning message from key. He ignored it. He wasn't doing this for him. He was doing this for key so that he won't feel anymore uncomfortable with him. 

 

" Good morning hyung" taemin said. 

 

" Good morning taeminie. Oh you seem busy" 

 

" I'm not busy. I was just texting" taemin replied 

 

" Did you call your parents? What did they say?" Jonghyun asked. 

 

" Onew hyung talked to them. So they are okay now." taemin said. 

 

Beep. Another notification sound echoed. 

 

" Taeminie, who is it sending you so much messages? Should I be concerned?" Jonghyun asked. 

 

" It's not my phone hyung. It's coming from yours" taemin laughed. 

 

" Oh. I see. Hehe. But still that doesn't add up how you are looking at your phone all the time. I just don't want to see you like that day ever. So if there is anything, tell me. Okay? " Jonghyun said. 

 

" Yes hyung of course. I will tell you. Don't worry. There's nothing to worry now" taemin replied. 

 

After freshening up, he checked his phone to see lots of notifications, all from key just calling his name. 

 

J : What do you want kibum? 

 

K :You are awake? Did you sleep well? 

 

J : What do you want to talk about? 

 

K : Nothing. 

 

K:Oh actually. 

 

K:Can you tell me the name of the book? I want to find answers. It seemed legit from some of the things you shared. 

 

J : Kibum. Stop this. I don't want you to do this especially when you don't want it. Please don't make it hard for me.

 

K : I'm really sorry. I'm trying to understand you. I'm trying to understand me too. And I need some time. Can you give me that? Can you at least give me one chance? 

 

J : A chance for what? 

 

K : To make everything right 

 

J : You cannot make something right by lying to yourself. So just leave it kibum. That's good for both of us. 

 

K : What if I may misunderstood my own feelings? What if I realized may be it wasn't a mistake? 

 

J : What? 

 

K : You must be very patient 

 

J:  for what? 

 

K : First you will sit down at a little distance from me in the grass. I shall look at you out of the corner of my eye, and you will say nothing. Words are the source of misunderstandings

 

J : YOU READ IT? YOU Found THE BOOK? HOW? DON'T FREAK ME OUT. WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?

 

J : Don't give me false hope kibum. 

 

That didn't stop key at all. Because he wanted to let jonghyun know what he was trying  to convey no matter what. He was even ready to hit jonghyun if that's what was needed for him to Understand. 

 

K : That's fox's answer jonghyun. 

 

J : I know. But why? 

 

K : But jonghyun, You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. 

 

J : I know... I know that. 

 

K : So am I the fox, that's just  a phase in your life or am the rose, that you are responsible forever and will come back home to? 

 

J : I… WhAt do you mean kibum? 

 

K : The same thing you understand. 

 

J : I think I'm wrong again. 

 

K : I didn't search for the book and finished in one night without sleeping for you to get this wrong. I know exactly what you understood jonghyun. That's why I wanted to explain it in the way that you won't misunderstand and here you are doing the one thing you shouldn't do. ARE YOU STUPID? 


 

Jonghyun couldn't believe what was happening. Key was replying to the question he asked. He playfully called key, a fox that day. But he didn't know that he will get this reply from the fox himself. But he was still confused. He didn't have answers to many questions key was asking. 

 

J : I don't know if you are the fox or the rose. But whoever you are, I'm responsible forever if you allow me to tame you. 

 

If it was a webtoon, this would be the time cherry blossoms will be shown. If it was a drama, this would be the time, a really soft background music would play. But it was real life but two hearts that were physically so distant came together. Two hearts and one choice. Two hearts and a single wish. 

 

Jonghyun was smiling so widely knowing how everything turned out. He even shed some tears because it was that perfect and it meant alot to him when key gave him his answer from his favorite book as well. 


 

Days passed by. Minho was worried about his best friend who was always in his room. He wanted to talk to key but whenever he went, key's room was always closed. So he talked to onew about how key has been acting strange these days. Onew was equally surprised because jonghyun was the same but didn't told minho. If jonghyun really did something that made key sad, onew was sure that minho wouldn't mind choking his best friend. It was always good to play safe. So he hide his best friends weird behaviors too. 

 

Not known to others, the two people who made a deal the other day was always on phone with each other. But it was all limited to texts for now. They didn't told anyone as they weren't sure themselves about what was happening. But if their phone had life, it would tell them to meet and get it over with because the tension between them was so crazy. Even key was shocked when he wanted to see jonghyun so suddenly at the middle of the night. He wondered what would happen if they meet for real. It was definitely not a mystery but he would love to find out someday. 

 

After dinner, that day key called jonghyun. 

 

" Hey kibummie" 

 

" I told you to not call me that. It's so cheesy" key said blushing. 

 

" Cheesy is allowed. What so wrong with cheesy? I love it" Jonghyun replied. 

 

" Whatever. What did you do today?" key asked. 

 

" Definitely not you" 

 

" ert" 

 

" Only for you" Jonghyun replied. 

 

" Can I ask you something? Will you answer me honestly?" key asked. 

 

" Yes." 

 

" On that day on the beach, are you sure that it wasn't out of pity?" key asked. 

 

" Of course not. How many times have I told you?" Jonghyun replied. 

 

" But it doesn't make any sense at all " Key said. 

 

" Let me tell you a secret. If a guy likes someone, he would let that person know how he is feeling. He won't get the other confused" Jonghyun said. 

 

" Then why was I confused?" 

 

" Because you are an idiot. I gave many clues. You are just too dump. " Jonghyun said. 

 

" Oh there there. You didn't throw clues. You molested me" key said. 

 

" What the hell kibummie? Don't call it like that. I won't lie about this. But hear this. Whenever I touched you, you had this face that told me to go on. Trust me. It was a sight to see. beautiful." Jonghyun said.

 

" I didn't. You are just lying "

 

" Wanna bet? "Jonghyun said. 

 

" Yes. "key agreed. 

 

" So the next time we meet, I will bring a mirror with me and show you  "Jonghyun said. 

 

" I think it's time for you to sleep jonghyun. Go and sleep before I scream at you. Byee "key said. 

 

" I would love you to scream my name. But later babe. Good night "

 

With that the call ended. Their calls and texts usually end at such edges that they always needed sometime to calm their minds. But that's all they talk. Playful and open. Not really about commitments or anything. For now they are just above the water. Testing it for now. And if they want, they will drown. But may be next time. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold. They were waiting for it to be lukewarm. Safe to be with. But not really talking about it since their silences covered all that up. 

 

With each day, their feelings kept on increasing and their hearts couldn't bare it at all. Nevertheless they tried to keep it all inside. But it was all penting up. Ready to burst out anytime. 

 

It was such a night. Like usual. They were on phone. They talked for half an hour. 

 

" What are you doing now?" Jonghyun asked 

 

" Lying on the bed" key said. 

 

" Can I come?" 

 

" Even if I say yes, you can't come, jonghyun. You will be in jail for breaking the rule" key said as he laughed. 

 

" Come out to the balcony" Jonghyun said. 

 

" What? Jonghyun. Don't say that? " key stormed out of his room to the balcony. He checked everywhere but he didn't find anyone there. 

 

" Yes. I'm here" key said. 

 

" Look below the tree. " Jonghyun said, winking. 

 

Their eyes locked for the first time after so long. There was indescribable longing, and desperate needs lingered in the air. All they wanted to do was wrap each other and never let go. But they were separated by some distance they could not cross yet. 

 

" How are you here? I'm not bailing you out if you get arrested " key said. 

 

" I saw the news and they said we can go out to buy medicines" 

 

" What happened? Are you sick?" key asked. 

 

" Of course not. I wanted to see you so much. So I lied. " Jonghyun said smiling. It was indeed a beautiful sight. Jonghyun standing there, one hand in his pocket while the other hand was holding his phone talking to key. And a beautiful smile plastered on his face. 

 

" I wanted to see you too. " key admitted. 

 

" Now that I see you, did you put on some weight?" key asked. 

 

" Yes. Hehe" 

 

They stayed like that for some more minutes. Looking at each other, seeing each other as long as they liked. 

 

If eyes could make out… 

 

" It's late jjong. Go back." key said. 

 

" Did I just get a nickname?" Jonghyun winked. 

 

" May be jjongie" 

 

" Okay kibummie. I love it" 

 

Their staring game was so strong today that it felt like key would jump from his balcony or jonghyun will climb up to his balcony. Either had the same probability of happening. 

 

" Hey" Jonghyun said in a really husky voice 

 

" Mmm?" 

 

Jonghyun looked down, blushing so hard. But he was so determined to do what he was here for. 

 

" Do you want to tame me?" Jonghyun asked

 

A thousand butterflies did lapse in key's tummy as he registered what jonghyun just said. He was here at keys door step, at the middle of the night, not demanding anything , but for giving himself to key. He was ready to take the next step with a different approach. Not asking for the other but to give himself in safe keep of key. 

 

To tame and to be tamed & forever responsible for each other. 

Authors note

​​​​---------------------

I'm not sure if any of you have read little prince. It's actually jonghyuns favorite book. I have also read that. I found it really interesting to add certain references in this fic. It might be little confusing if you haven't read it but not that difficult to understand . I just wanted to play with some words. All I had was a word, tamed and I developed this whole chapter based on the same word. I like to develop stories based on single words. My other stories also were made just like that. 

 

So I hope you enjoyed until here. Next chapter will be the last one. I did some major editing on this chapter and that's why it took this long for this update. Thank you so much for reading. 

 

See you all in the next and final updates. Comments are really appreciated. If there is anything, you can always tell me. 

 

Also I'm so happy that SHINee's back. Now. Yaaaaayyy