A Date pt. 1

Based On A True Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So... here we are."

Eunbi offered to bring Eunha home, letting her sit on the back of her bike. The older easily agreed, but was still feeling shy despite the moment they had just shared. She even only held on to Eunbi's backpack, rather than her waist as she pedaled away from school.

Eunha scratched her head as they awkwardly stood there outside her apartment building. 

"I'll see you tomorrow, unnie," the younger says with a warm smile, kicking up her bike stand.

"W–wait!" She clears subtly. "Do you maybe... want to stay for dinner?" She feels a drop of sweat form at the back of her neck after she asks. The cold air cooled it immediately, however.

Eunbi's eyebrows shoot up for a second. "Oh... sure. I wouldn't want to intrude on your family or anything," she worries.

"It's really no problem. It's just me and my mom, and she likes hearing how good her food is from people other than me," Eunha laughs.

The junior decides it wouldn't hurt to spend a little more time together today. "Alright. It's the weekend anyway."

As they walk up the stairs, Eunbi comments, "I bet your mom's a great cook. I can tell by your love for food."

Before Eunha could type in the password, the door opens wide, her mother wearing a blank face while she stares at the two.

"Eomma—"

"Are you Hwang Eunbi?!" the woman asks in excitement.

"Uhhh, yes?" she answers, a little taken back.

"Oooh, come in come in!" 

Eunbi nervously bows a thanks, while Eunha her eyebrow, telling her with eyes to not embarrass her.

"Sorry the place is a little messy," the senior says.

The younger looks around and thinks, this is messy? Everything was neatly organized, the floors were clean, and the air is filled with the smell of newly cooked rice. 

"So what brings Hwang Eunbi here?" Miss Jung asks with a bright smile that reaches her eyes.

"I invited her to have dinner with us."

"I-if it's okay," the younger stutters.

"Of course it's okay! I actually just finished cooking, so come! Let's eat!" She leads the way to the table, and Eunbi's mouth waters at the sight.

It's been a while since Eunbi has sat at a dinner table, let alone eaten a home cooked meal. "Wow..." she mutters in awe. "잘먹있습니다!" She bows her head eagerly, bringing out a laugh from both Jung women.

Halfway to putting the food into , Eunha warns, "It might be a little spicier than you're used to."

She doesn't respond, but puts her spoon in . Her brows furrow and she nods her head. "Wah... So good!" Finishing chewing, she swallows and puts up two thumbs up. "It's the perfect spiciness," her eyes sparkling. 

Eunha's mother pauses in disbelief. "...really? Everyone always thinks my dishes are too spicy." She puts a hand on her chest and pouts in swoon. "Finally..." She pretends to wipe away a tear and takes another bite.

Watching her mother and Eunbi converse about food and whatnot, Eunha's chest warmed. It's comforting to her. 

But she breaks out of her state when she realizes her mom is never going to stop bugging her about Hwang now. She mentally groans at the teasing she's going to have to endure from now on.

 

"I really enjoyed your food, Miss Jung. Thank you for having me." Eunbi respectfully bows with her hands in front of her. The sun has since gone down, and the night grew colder. Before it gets too late, it was time for her to head home.

"Thank you, Eunbi. You're always welcome to come back here. Tell Eunha what you think about the steamed eggs," the mother says, pointing to the plastic bag in the youngest's hands. 

"I'll walk you down," Eunha offers, putting on a jacket.

They didn't say anything as they headed down the stairs. Eunbi grabs her bike from the side and turns the headlight on. 

"I had a great time, unnie. Your mom's really fun," the junior giggles. 

"It's not very often that I bring... a friend... over." Eunha puts her hands in her jacket pockets to look less fidgety than she is.

The other purses her lips and nods once. "Right. Uh... I should get going now." She gets on her bike, but bef

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter