A Question

Based On A True Story
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

cw // slight trauma discussion?

-----

 

"I'm going to hurt someone."

"Eunbi." Juyeon calms her in a caring tone.

"Right. Right... I have to be better with my anger." She grumbles and kicks a rock in her path. "But you should've seen her. She looked so hurt...and tired. She hasn't done anything wrong. It's all that incel, Eunwoo." Eunbi lets a huff through her nose and dips her head. "And me too."

"Luda sunbaenim told me unnie's been pretty overwhelmed since then. It's been like what, almost two weeks? It's not easy to move on if people around her won't." She notices Eunbi's dull demeanor when she mentions Eunha. "But yeah. I'm glad sunbae is there for her. She's really wise. I trust her."

Eunbi smirks. "You know...she'd be a really good girlfriend."

Juyeon gasps dramatically. "Hwang Eunbi! Seriously? Just because Eunha unnie's not talking to you for now means you have to hit on her friend." She looks at the other as if she was found guilty for treason.

"Not for me, idiot! For you!" Eunbi returns the same look, being extremely offended.

"Me? Me and Luda sunbae?" Her eyes wander as she holds on to her bag straps. "W-why?"

"Oh please, don't act like you two aren't close." 

"I mean, I guess we kinda are?" She scratches her head before putting on her helmet. "We only talk about you and Eunha unnie though."

"Have you ever tried talking about anything else?"

"Kinda? But she brought it back to unnie. She really worries for her. I guess there's more to it than what we know."

Eunbi kicks up her bike stand and hops on. "When things get better, you should go out with her. Your dynamic would be cute."

"What are you even talking about?" Juyeon shyly laughs.

"The height difference is one thing, but a dumb jock with a nice smart girl?"

"HEY!" 

And Eunbi pedals away, with Juyeon yelling at her right behind.

-----

 

"Eunha, are you hungry? I made kimchi stew."

A pause.

A weak 'no' goes through the door, and she immediately knew something was wrong. She knocks twice and opens the door gently. With the only light on being the little cat night light that is plugged in across the room, she could barely see anything inside.

She will never fail to recognize her own daughter, however.

The latter lay in her bed, facing away from the door.

"You okay? Are you sick?"

The mother sits close on the bed, and feels the younger's skin from arms to forehead, checking for a fever.

"I'm okay. Eomma, I'm just tired." Her voice was rasp, evidence of the tire.

Her mom looks at her softly, her scalp lightly. "Is this still about what happened?"

Eunha nods, but her lips quiver and her eyes water right after.

"Aigo, come here," the older woman coos. Eunha retreats into the other's arms as warm tears fall to her cheeks. 

"How did you move on?" she whispers in between sniffles.

Her mom holds her tighter, rubbing her back to soothe her. 

"It still hurts sometimes." She gulps down unshed tears to show strength for her daughter. "But your father did not make me who I am. Your past relationship doesn't make you who you are, nor does that stupid guy at school, nor anyone else." 

She shifts in her hold to look at the older in the eyes, listening intently.

"You are you. And you're beautiful and strong and smart and... loved. There will always be someone who loves you, and I bet they'll be willing to do anything for you. Even punch a guy in the face." She laughs at the sight of Eunha's surprised face, earning a grunt from her. 

Eunha thinks while she feels the fabric of her mother's shirt between her fingers.

It's not going to be easy. 

While opening her heart has led to it being hurt, it takes opening it again for it to be healed. 

It's going to take time.

-----

 

Finishing yet another book, she turns her tablet off and lays it at her side. The sun was already gone outside, meaning the late night was approaching. 

She hears the front door open, together with the clank of shoes as they're taken off. Rushing out of her room, she meets the gaze of someone she hasn't spoken to in a week. 

"Luda."

"Father."

"Good evening."

"Good evening." She fixes her posture and comes closer. "Have you eaten yet?" she asks.

"I wasn't planning to. Have you?" He wrinkles his eyes as he wipes his glasses.

"Uh... No not yet." Luda wasn't planning on eating anything other than a banana, but decides this could be a good time for conversation. "I can make some jajjangmyeon... Would you like some?"

He gives a tired smile. "Sure."

 

After cooking, she splits their portions and they start eating. Other than the sounds of slurping and chewing, it was silent.

"How have things been at the new school?" her father asks.

"They've been going alright. I may have mentioned once my new friends."

"Are they nice?"

"Very."

"Just remember... A bully is not a friend."

She rolls her eyes. "I can tell they're very genuine. I know it."

"I'm sure they are." He finishes his bowl and stands to put it in the sink. "I trust you." He kisses her head and picks up his things. "I've had a long day. You must've too. You should head to bed." 

As she watches him turn the corner into his room, she looks back at her half-eaten noodles. "Good night."

---

 

Picking up her guitar, Juyeon wipes off some dust that had settled in between the strings and knobs. It's been a while since she's played, but she doesn't have any homework tonight— allowing her to be in the mood to play. She plucks each string to make sure it's in tune. Readjusting the instrument on her lap, she places her fingers on the frets and strums.

As she strummed and hum along to the song, a notification sounds out. 

"Let's meet at the lockers tomorrow"

Juyeon knew they were going to talk about Eunha and Eunbi. They'r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter